Nuts, CVS and Menopause

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hi family,

Lately, at night...my body thinks it's a boiler. From my chest up feels as if I could boil in my skin. Nothing helped. I would go to sleep at night convinced someone would find my body laying on the bed, and from the waist down; perfectly fine, and from the chest up -spontaneous combustion at it's finest. I'm not bragging when I say I'm hot.

My mother suggested Black Cohosh. I thought too we had a discussion on the board that reinforced Black Cohosh was a good thing to take and I remember it because I thought - ha - well that is NOT me yet.

So CVS pharmacy has all herbs and vitamins BOGO free. Ah ha! Off I go. There was only one bottle which once again reaffirmed that this stuff was helpful for those middle of the night personal BBQ's. I mean this heat is so intense I wondered if someone wasn't holding a voodoo doll of Star over an open flame.

The price was $8.69. As they only had one bottle I meant to get a raincheck but forgot. I figured I'd go back the next night after work. So I did just that.

I went to the pharmacy and told the young man I had been charged full price on a BOGO. Did he want to give me a rain check or 1/2 the cost of the pills? He did not know and called the manager.

She showed up while I was looking to see if by chance another bottle had been stocked - it had not, and I verified the price of $8.69 per bottle. I was 20 feet away, but she felt the need to get on the PA an announce to the woman looking for a refund to come to the pharmacy.

I got there and showed her my receipt, and pointed to the item Nut Black Cohosh. She took my reciept shaking her head no the entire time to the snack aisle. I had no idea what she was doing. She came back stating they had NO nuts BOGO. I pointed to the vitamin aisle and said "It's not Nuts - it's Nut Black Cohosh." again she shakes her head no, and reluctantly follows me 2 aisles over. I point to the empty spot on the shelf. She tells me "Well we're outta that." I sigh....Then she says loudly and laughing "Well WHAT is that fer?" (yes fer).

At this point I don't know whether to laugh or leave. Wondering if I am ever going to get satisfaction, I show her the receipt again, repeat the sku numbers from the tag on the shelf while following along with my finger on the numbers from the receipt. Then she said "OH IT AIN'T NUTS HUH? BUT IT SAYS NUT ON THE RECEIPT." and I thought Your tag says MaryJoe, and it should say Nut.

Then she says "Well we are all outta that!" (I nearly slapped myself in the forehead) So I said "Well yes, but the clerk charged me full price on a Buy one Get one Free." and she said "Well that is 1/2 the price." and I said "No, no it is not." and she said "Well sure it is....see here it's...(looks at the receipt and then the tag on the shelf) and said "OH $8.69 is your price." (birds & stars starting to wind around my head) and I said - "If the shelf says cost of ONE is $8.69 I should either have gotten one bottle free..." (and she cuts me off and says)
"But I told you we are out." (I wanted to scream)
I said "I get that - but how about a raincheck?? Can you do that?" Well I can only give a raincheck the day you buy the product or if you have a receipt." (cricket farted on the 1st aisle and I heard it) Deer in the headlights - Me trying to figure out if I was on camera. Maybe someone was watching me through the Huggies and bottom wipes?

So all of a sudden that rubber band of a brain of hers says "Well what is this fer -you didn't say?" and I said "IF YOU MUST KNOW - it's for hot flashes from peri-menopause." and she stood up straight and looking in her late 50's announced that SHE didn't have to worry about that- she was 43. I said "So am I. Can I get a raincheck?" again.

She looked at me and then as if she was hit with an idea - turns and says "How about Premarin, have you tried that?" I said "I didn't want to use drugs yet - if herbs will help." and then says "Well my mom just died of breast cancer in December from taking Premarin." (blink, blink.....WHAT?)
"Yea - my Mom died, and I see these commercials to call for the atty if your family died, but I think - how much money could bring my mom back? None! So I have not called."

I tried to explain that it wasnt' the money - but it was about making changes in the medicine - if enough people sue they have to correct what is wrong or pull the product - and she said "But it helped my Mom." (Sure it did - it killed her, you want me to take it and it helps, took notes okay?)

We get up to the front - she answers 3 more customer questions while I'm standing there - her cell phone rang "My kids" she says, then she leaves me there, goes who knows where and gets change for the cashier - (11 minutes or more now up front waiting) Finally she comes back, starts to write it up and puts (kid you not) $89.60 in the $ due. Finished the slip and I said "The amt - is incorrect." So she tears it up and starts ALL over again. (I'm wondering if I should take some Pamprin while I"m standing there or let nature take its ugly course with my now non-patient self.)

She finally gets the rain check written and then tears my receipt in half. Hands me the coupon for $1.00 something at the bottom and puts MY receipt in the drawer. When I told her I had other things on that paper I needed the receipt she took it out of the drawer and stapled it on the raincheck, and tells me "DO NOT LOOSE THIS." Then leaves it on the counter and walks away.

I looked at the cashier who was shaking her head the whole time and from 1/2 way back of the store the manager shouts that SHE has gotten her stock put up - what has the cashier done? So I interrupted quietly and asked the cashier for my raincheck. About the time the cashier hands it to me the manager comes up and takes it out of her hand looks at it and writes ALL the stuff from the front on the back and signs it. Then walks away complaining about long hours and work.

The cashier told me jokingly I should use my coupon NOW - so I bought myself 2 chocolate squares. The cashier now unloading her soul on me says "I hate it here, she's an idiot, and they passed ME up to give that job to HER?" I told her I was sorry - and she said she was not - She had gotten her degree in law, and was putting in a 2 week notice today. Now going to work for the criminal justice center. And she said - I had to study psychology - and that (points to manager) woman is NUTS - NOT YOUR NUTS - stating she heard the whole conversation about nuts and nut cohosh and what manager does not know their stock???

I swear stuff like this ONLY happens to me. I'm almost afraid to redeem the raincheck. lol

But the Cohosh is working great - Now the only way I'm going to spontaneously combust is if I have to deal with that dim wit manager.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Wow.

That is about all I can think of to say. Well...that and "they walk among us" (from an email I got with examples of really stupid people...like the guy who went to customer service at the airport to report his lost luggage. The lady said that she could handle that and proceeded to ask him if his flight had arrived yet. :slap: )

Glad the stuff is working. Good thing too. I'd hate to see your mood after all of that if it DIDN'T work. I was put into a drug-induced temporary menopause a few years back. I never got the night sweats but had to start carrying a little fold out fan during the day. I looked like some weird Southern reject.

And by the way.......I hate to say it but had I been with you that day...I would have been on the floor LMBO. :bigsmile:

Star*

call 911........call 911
DF was standing in there with me as I said "this will only take a minute or two."

After she said "What's it fer?" - he did the typical male duck and cover saying "Well there she goes!"

tiredmommy

Good grief, Star. I'm so happy my local CVS is staffed by intelligent and professional people. :rolleyes:

May be you could try asbestos bed sheets next, lol!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Star, if you kept your "cool" while dealing with that manager?, you don't need that cohosh stuff.........

But when you get home and the manager isn't there to provide you with entertainment/distraction I hope it provides you with some relief.........

meowbunny

Wonder how CVS hq would feel if you printed out and mailed your comments here to them? Maybe they'll even give you a decent gift certificate or get a new manager or ... ? I'd sure give it a try.

In the meantime, think I'll run to my local Walgreen's and try some Nut Black Cohosh. Went to the local CVS once, never again. I have better ways to spend my time than dealing with total rudeness and stupidity. Sides, my Walgreens people are truly sweet and bend over backwards to try to help.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star

I thought I would die of laughing from your discription of the midnight BBQ. lmao

OMG Am I glad that is over!!! I nearly froze husband to death. Last winter I had the window open wide in 20 degrees because I had enough body heat going on to heat the house. It was the only way I could sleep. And that with no heating duct in our bedroom and it's freezing in there to begin with!

But all the evidence indicates I am done with the process. Symptoms have disappeared completely and I haven't had my monthly nightmare it a year. Now if my libito would manange to return all would be well. I'd never heard of that being an issue with menopause. And for someone who always had a sex drive to rival that of a teen boy's, it's weird to have it sitting at zero. husband is none too please either. lol

With your discription of the manager I won't scare you with some of the people I've been taking classes with for nursing. I just keep thinking "God help us all if they actually graduate" *sigh*

Glad it helps you to feel better. I roughed mine out, but then it actually didn't take that long and it only became severe the last year or so of it.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
Asbestos bed sheets - NOW THERE is a SELLER!

I think it would need to be 1500 thread count Egyptian cotton with fire proof glazing - but mannnnnnn if it were packaged right - can you see friends buying them for friends?

Oh - Bunny britches - I think that is GENIUS - laughed out loud really - Maybe I'd make the little magazine they print monthly on health and well being. DF said perhaps they have an herbal remedy for stupidity she could take? I said well I know there is an herbal remedy that can MAKE you stupid maybe she took a break before I got in and smoked one?

OH and by the way - if you check the web site for Natures Bounty - they are offering a free $1.00 off coupon. If you do tread into CVS and try it - that may ease the pain.

I just keep thinking - thank GOD I didn't buy herbal Preparation H.

What's it ferrrrrrrrr?

:crazy1:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh Star-I can't believe you didn't lose it-I think I would have!

As for the hot flashes-yuck! I went through a very early menopause at 20. I was having hot flashes in my dorm room-freezing out my roommate in the middle of the winter I had the windows open! I'm sure when I come off the Prempro (sp?) I've been on for over 20 years the hot flashes are going to return.

meowbunny

Wiped -- Yup, you'll go back to the hot flashes and all the misery when you go off the estrogen ... it's sooooo much fun.

Star, you'll appreciate this (so will the rest of the gang suffering hot flashes and night sweats). I was playing poker today -- started with 4 tables, 8 players at each table. Made it to the final table. I was the only female left. All of a sudden I could feel the heat rising. Do remember this is a retirement community -- most of the men had had the joy of experiencing their wives' hot flashes. Beads of sweat are forming. I'm fanning myself with anything I can put my hot little hands on. More sweat, now dripping down my nose. One of the guys looks at me, "She's either got pocket Jacks [two were on the table] or the mother of all hot flashes."

I did bet big and everyone folded -- pure bluff. I had nada. When asked if I had the jacks or if it was a hot flash, I just smiled sweetly and said, "Both!"

by the way -- I came in second and won a whopping $10.00 for three hours of play. rofl

Lothlorien

Okay, Star, so did you get the nuts or not?

Sorry, couldn't help it.:bag:

I laughed out loud the entire read. Thanks. I needed that to wake up this morning.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Meow -

NICE BLUFF - Will remember that sweat thing for the next time I play with our poker buddies - Ones wife we knicknamed Pokerhontis. Dark hair, Dark eyes, lovely person - hate to see her come to play.

Mother of all hot flashes - I had no idea men were so sympathetic - lol

Good on ya for the win!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Meowbuny...too funny. Three hours for $10.

I have the 'morning sweats'. About 6am I am an incerator. Then, it goes into freeze mode. To top it off, I'm still having the monthly thing. Can I get rid of ONE????

Abbey

trinityroyal

Then she said "OH IT AIN'T NUTS HUH? BUT IT SAYS NUT ON THE RECEIPT." and I thought Your tag says MaryJoe, and it should say Nut.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Wiping seafood chowder off my monitor, and trying to explain to co-workers why I'm guffawing, between gasps of laughter!)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Lothlorien -

As a matter of fact - I did buy some nuts - but I went to BigLots where they have the best NO PEANUTS mix for $3.50 - could not do CVS again, period.

Abbey - Try the Coshosh - I take 1 before bed, and so far it has stopped the midnight BBQ and Artic blast after. It says you can take up to 3 a day. And if you go to CVS - you BOGO......free.

Trinity - (passes handi wipe) sorry. Just sorry. lol

meowbunny

Sigh -- Arctic freeze afterward? You mean you guys get to cool down? I'm soooo jealous. It could be 15 degrees outside, I get the hots and nothing cools me down for at least 30 minutes after the flash. And, yes, I've actually stood outside at that temperature in capris and a t-shirt to cool down. Have, never ever had a freeze. I. want. one!!!!!!

MrsMcNear46

Great story Star....that kinda stuff seems to only happen to you. I too will be headed to Walgreens...our CVS stinks as well to get that nut stuff. Just started the nite sweats, from top of head to waist, a couple of months ago. I am also not a fan of midnight BBQ's.

Mrs. McNear

klmno

I've been lurking in here and taking notes. You know- this might happen to me once I get past my 29th b-day, if that ever happens.

Actually, I wondered why I've been waking up in middle of night needing to go outside on porch and smoke a cigarette but I really think it is that my lap dogs are in bed and making it too warm. That is it, isn't it?

LOL!!!

:help:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Bunny -

You don't want the freezes. (taps pencil thinking best way to describe what Bunny does not want)

Okay - think about it like this - It's 90 degrees outside. And you put on a pair of sweat pants, a sweat shirt, a sweater, a Parka, thick wool artic socks, and lined boots, then top it off by having someone turn on a blast furnace and point it at you. - you're going to sweat and feel uncomfy right? (this you know)
Then - out of know where - while your core temperature must be nearing 105+ degrees, someone strips you of all your clothes, and throws you into a pool of 32 degree icewater - and now you shiver uncontrolably - and you try to warm up but all your clothing is soaked from sweat - giving your body NO time to adjust. So you change clothes and you're still shivering and to get warm you wrap up in blankets and shake until you feel warm again, but being cold to the core is hard to warm up. Its fascinating really - I'll only go through this once in life - but it sure is a pain for now.

I swear - if I stuck stuff in my bra like Abbey , treats would go from Smores to Klondike frozen treats in a strap snap. :surprise:

ChefPaula1965

Oh my aching back!!
Wow.
I never got the night sweats but had to start carrying a little fold out fan during the day. I looked like some weird Southern reject.

:bigsmile:
OK NOW..... I am from Alabama..................
am I some Souther "reject"?????????????
I thought we were called Southern Belles???????????//
LMBO !
You are SO funny!!
Y'all Yanks out there!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: