One day at a time- new mantra

exhausted

I am going to work on this. Make each day new. Try to forgive the old stuff and move forward. I need my family together at the dinner table and talking again. I am going to be the model for this. I will do my best to not rip out machine gun directions and questions. I will try to see out of difficult child's eyes more often-she makes valid points sometimes and I miss opportunity to praise her thinking. There is no peace in a house that harbors so many grudges and lacks forgiveness. Let me be a model for this (Holy cow will I need support!)

I am going to enjoy the good. I will need help not making the future seem like a death march to apocolipse, but I'm going to try.
Grilled burgers and potato salad and a movie tonight. :)

Nancy

Good for you. You are an inspiration. I remember my mom always being sad or grouchy because of the chaos my dad always caused and it was so depressing. I thunk back on all the Times I was upset over my difficult child so I did not enjoy the time with easy child. I am trying hard to be cheerful and enjoy husband and easy child now.

We will be much happier people if we make this effort. We deserve it.

Nancy

family mum

Yes, as much as possible I try to forgive and move on. WE pretty much eat dinner as a family every night. I always go into it hoping for the best. Sometimes it works, sometimes I wonder why I bother, but really I'm not ready to give up! Had a horrendous day with difficult child ( see I wish I knew what to do) but right now difficult child is making home made dressing for our salad. Chops, garlic bread, lots of fresh fruit for dessert and hopefully some nice family time to finish off the weekend on a high note. Good luck to you exhausted.

That's what I'm doing right now too. One day at a time, one hour at a time. Whatever it takes.

"I will need help not making the future seem like a death march to apocalypse"..... that kind of made me smile because sometimes it sure feels that way - but you have my support!!

family mum

"I will need help not making the future seem like a death march to apocalypse"..... that kind of made me smile because sometimes it sure feels that way - but you have my support!!

Amen, to that.

susiestar

Roll With It
That sounds like a great goal, and way to a better relationship with difficult child and the rest of the family. it won't be easy, and maybe a family member can help work out a way to signal you if you chill out and another to help you stop when you start those machine gun questions and commments. Tugging an ear, saying a nonsense word like rutabega, jsut something.

Want a great way to not get made at dinner, to get everyone laughing? Try mad libs. Yup, those silly things where you each contribute a word and then you read the story and it is ridiculous and everyone laughs! We have done them at dinner since Wiz was about 3-4 and all the kids love them. And if the actual part of speech like adjective isn't familiar to someone at the table, call it a describing word, or some other easy description of what it is. Of course my kids have bodily functions in each one, so if you are squeamish make it a rule up front that you can't use pee or p o o p or curse words.

Having something to keep your mind busy during the meal, a shared and fun activity, is often a bg help at getting a parent to back off the questions. At least it helped me back off of them! (Plus I lost weight because I was laughing too hard to eat much! I wonder if a MadLib Diet could make me a fortune? jk!)

exhausted

Love madlibs Suzie! Haven't done them since they were young! Gonna keep trying-things were not a "peach" last night. Not my doing, but gonna keep trying. I have nothing to lose. Can't control anyone but me. (Even that is debateable at times!)