ShakespeareMamaX

Ehhhh.....it seemed to work alright for my son, but he had the same problem with sleep. Unfortunately, he had to be taken off because he started getting awful tics, so I can't say if there are any medications you can add to it to help with the sleeping issues.

I can say that when I had my own issues with sleep while I was on Wellbutrin, I took hmm....I think it was....Trazadone? Wait...that may have been with the Lexapro I was taking. Well...either way...it helped me sleep. But be weary as when I took it as a child, it was very strong and I was quite dizzy when I woke up. I couldn't really tolerate it until I was older.

Maybe if it was started at a very low dose?

(I'm not a doctor)

Just sharing personal experiences. I hope you find something that works!

P.S. Warm milk and turkey before bed may work! :)~

susiestar

Roll With It
Hangin On,

I had one other thought. When we started medicating difficult child, we started with adderal, then ritalin. (Generic, of course, if it was available). We did have to do a dose midday, because they are very short-acting. One was about 3 hours for him, the other was about4 or 5. Can't remember which was which.

After we found that ritalin worked well for him, we did have some trouble with the rebound effect (behaviors kicked in strogner after being suppressed) happening mid-day when we were at coop (homeschooling at the time) or at another educational program. In the light of these problems, our psychiatrist suggested concerta because of the time release factor.

I would still try medications with the way MY son was acting. But he was 7, not 4. I would have had a hard time trying a time release medication if I wasn't sure what the short acting version did (if I knew a short acting form was available).

Just another thought that occurred to me.

Susie

Marguerite

We are among those parents who medicated a child of three years old.

difficult child 3 was only three when he was started on stimulants (dexamphetamine).

And it worked. it was like magic.

The problem was far, far more than a hyperactive, impulsive child. His mind was such a whirl he couldn't even settle to learn even the most basic communication. He had a vocabulary composed chiefly of nouns he had learnt to read, from labels. easy child was away for a week at camp when he started medications; when she returned she said, in amazement, "He's speaking in full sentences!"

That said, I do not endorse the random medicating of very young children. I only want to say, we did it with difficult child 3, and do not regret it for an instant.

Sometimes it's not such a bad idea. But it really does depend on the individual and really does need to be very carefully considered. It certainly shouldn't be a routine thing.

Marg