other health impairments

jannie

trying to survive....
I was recently at an evaluation meeting and the team decided to code someone Other Health Impaired due to a diagnosis of Downs Syndrome. This child did not meet the criteria for MR due to adaptive scales....

Do you think that any child with diagnosis for Fragile X, Willer Prader etc.. can qualify for special education support under the code of Other Health Impairments?

It worked for this child...because she is certainly in need of special educaiton support...

klmno

This has a pretty good explanation of classifications.

http://www.parentcenterhub.org/resources/

Keep in mind though, whatever the disability, it has to be shown that it is affecting learning of the student or others in order to meet IEP eligibility requirements, as difficult child's sd so diligently continues to point out to me.

JJJ

The label is suppose to be irrelevant to the child as services are based on areas of need, not on the label. But each district is different as far as the politics of the label...

jannie

trying to survive....
I know that the code just allows access to services, but I was very happy to see that this child continued to be eligible for Special Education via a Other Health Impaired code. She originally was code under speech and language, but this is certainly not the primary disablility. Of course she needed Special Education, but since she didn't qualify for MR, there was almost a problem. I'm thrilled that this can work under OHI. I never connected the two...
Thanks