Our Cat is Passing Away

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Shadow was fine yesterday, and even yesterday evening when I scolded her for yet again getting herself shut up in the shower.

This morning before school Nichole commented that Shadow was lying in the center of the floor in the bathroom and wouldn't move out of the way. I go in to check, call her name, pet her, she responds lazily and so I don't think much of it. Just Shadow being stubborn.

This evening I find Shadow sprawled out next to the litter box in the bathroom. If I wasn't able to see the breathing I'd have believed her to be dead. I pick her up and place her limp body into a clean cardboard box. No response from her. I scratch behind her ear. The tip of her tail twitches. Breathing is labored.

I call Nichole home from boyfriend's house.

Nichole picks Shadow up to hold her. The cat really does look like she's dying. Suddenly she starts violently seizing. Nichole continues to hold her for a very long time. Cat still unaware. Nichole listens to her heart, sounds reg and strong. Breathing still labored.

Cat is back in the box wrapped in a towel. Nichole had to run to boyfriend's to pick up the baby.

My theory is that while gallavanting outside for a couple of days Shadow was doing what she does best and mousing. She got a poisoned mouse. It's hitting her now. I don't think it was bad food cuz she hasn't had any symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea or anything.

I don't have any money to take her to a vet. And they're not open at this time of day anyway. We have NO ER vets in the area.

Shadow is a stray Nichole brought home from school 5 yrs ago because other kids were being cruel to her. (another stray we never found a forever home for) She's never been much of a people cat. But she has always been a good cat and an excellent mouser.

Nichole is bringing Aubrey home, putting her to bed, and spending the rest of the evening sitting with her cat.:sad-very:

Loving Abbey 2

Not really a Newbie
I am so sorry to hear that poor Shadow is dying. When I have lost a cat it is almost worse than losing a human. Cats ask for so little and they give so much. I had a little funeral/burial. It helped some.

Animals touch our lives in ways that people can not. There is no judgement or anxiety or manipulation. My father who is the big strong doesn't talk about feelings type of guy nearly lost a finger building a coffin for one of his cats because he was crying so hard.

I am so sorry.

Michelle

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh Lisa, I'm so sorry. This time of year a lot of people put poisons in their homes to rid them of field mice and when they run outdoors, frequently, cats get them and get sick. If she is dying, I hope it's quick.

That is just so sad. I'm sorry. Hugs~

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Shadow's breathing is very labored now, she's gasping.

Is just tearing my heart out. If she is going to pass, I wish God woud make it quick for her. She doesn't deserve to suffer.

Just amazes me how fast this was.....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jo

That's what I'm afraid happened. Our neighbors don't usually use poison because of the large outside cat population we have in the neighborhood. No one minds the cats cuz they keep the snakes and barn rats population down.

But we've have a few new people move in over the winter. One of them might have used poison without even considering the outside cats.

F

flutterbee

Oh, Lisa, I'm so so sorry. :9-07tears:

When Cassie passed, it was like that. She was fine that morning and that night I had to touch her to make sure she was alive. I called the vet in at midnight, but there was nothing they could do. Her kidney and liver numbers were off the chart. I visited with her the next night and then she passed in her sleep. I only wish I had brought her home so she wouldn't have died alone.

She did go outside the morning she got sick and she hadn't been out for a few weeks. I'll never know if she got into something.

I'm saying prayers that Shadow is in peace and is unaware of how her body is struggling.

(((((((hugs))))))

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Shadow has gone on to a better place. I'm glad my prayer was answered and God had mercy and didn't make her suffer long.

Shadow was saved by Nichole when she was about 4 mos old. Cold bitter rainly day at school and some hs boys thought it great sport to kick a helpless freezing half starved black kitten around like a soccer ball.

She was never an "affectionate" cat. At one time easy child took her home with her to live. (we never intended on keeping Shadow) But Shadow resented easy child locking her in the bathroom and retaliated by refusing to use the litter box. When easy child tossed her outside, Shadow came right "HOME" to our house.

That still cracks me up.

She was always loyal, never wandered far. She preferred to be outside except for bad weather. She was my mouser, and never failed in her duties. Although she did get a few snakes on the side.

This winter since we had Bruce inside anyway, Shadow was allowed to join him as long as she used the litter box. Good thing as by end of Feb winter turned nasty around here. Shadow appreciated it.

And now I'm glad I did it for her as I had no clue that so suddenly she'd be taken from us. Such an utter shock. One minute she is fine, then she's gone.

Thank you for the kind words. She'll be missed.

((hugs))

F

flutterbee

I'm glad her suffering is over. I'm glad she was surrounded by those that loved her. You gave her a good life.

It was shocking to me with Cassie, too. It was just so fast. Fine one minute, deathly ill the next. I just couldn't believe it.

Cassie was loyal, too. She was the only cat that went outside, but she stopped doing that so much after we moved into our last house. She went missing for a week. I put flyers on all the mailboxes, knocked on doors...and one night I was sitting on the porch and I heard her meow. You know your cats meow, anyway, but hers was very distinctive. I started calling her and she kept meowing. I walked behind the house and saw a kitty sitting in the sliding doors of my neighbor's house behind me. I went and knocked on his door and asked him about my cat. He told me they had a cat, but hadn't seen mine. I *knew* it was her. I saw her sitting in that door every day. All of a sudden, Cassie came home and my neighbor no longer had a kitty sitting in their door. She stopped going out as much then. She would go for walks with us. If we got too far ahead, she'd meow and wait for her to catch up. LOL It's been 9 months and I still can't think about her without crying.

(((((hugs)))))

nvts

Daisy! Here I sit bawling in front of the computer again! What a big baby I am!

According to our vet (Coco our "mostly" golden retriever died less than 2 weeks ago), once they have the seizures, the neuro-receptors don't process pain the same way. Shadow died in a warm, loving environment that she never would have had without you.

I'm so sorry you're going through this! I'm still amazed at this STILL bothering me. Feel better and live happy knowing that she probably wouldn't have lasted this long if she hadn't found you.

Beth

Lisa,

I'm so sorry... It just broke my heart to read about poor Shadow... Shadow was lucky to have been part of your family. I'm glad she didn't have to suffer long. Losing a beloved "furry" family member is never easy...

I just want you to know I'm thinking of you... WFEN