Poor little stupid chicken...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I overheard husband ask easy child if she'd dropped Herbert from our balcony today or the swing set at all, to which she replied "No." (She has this habit of putting the bird up on a high perch, despite our warnings and protests). husband asked are you sure... because Herbert can't use her right leg!

So I go running outside where difficult child 1 is sitting in the coop with the bird in his lap, examining her leg. He can't see anything wrong with her, so I take her and look at her feet and see that the pads of the right foot are swollen twice the size of her left foot. I suspect a bee sting, and difficult child 1 helps me look for the stinger, which he finds on the crease of the foot and manages to extract with his finger nails.

I imagine she'll be fine by tomorrow, but she sure is gimping around tonight.

Talk about a tame bird, she actually let me flip her onto her back while I held her in my lap to look at her feet!

I guess the birds and the bees just don't mix too well in our yard! Maybe that's a good thing... ;)

klmno

I suspect a bee sting, and difficult child 1 helps me look for the stinger, which he finds on the crease of the foot and manages to extract with his finger nails.

That is so nice- our difficult child's really have a knack with animals sometimes!

I guess the birds and the bees just don't mix too well in our yard! Maybe that's a good thing...

I REALLY hope it works that way at our house, too!!!

klmno

PS This chicken doesn't sound so stupid to me.... aren't there some people who should have it so good?

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ohhh...Herbert found such a nice home.

Ps...as a bird owner, it is rare that a bird lets you turn them on their back. My Abbey will let me and she snuggles like a cat.

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Klmno & Abbey... I think Herbert thinks she's a human, and that's why she lets us handle her so easily :D Either that, or she's really, really, really stupid!

She will now sit patiently by the back door and wait for someone to come outside. husband walked out the back door today, stepped over her and proceeded across the yard. The crazy bird got up and ran after him like a DOG, caught up with him and continued walking next to him, hoping for a treat :D

mstang67chic

Going Green
Awwww...poor Herbert.

Neat that she let's you handle her like that though! LOL And she's not stupid! She knows what side her bread is buttered on!

New pictures???

F

flutterbee

I'm glad you guys rescued Herbert and she is living the good life. She's a lucky bird. Maybe she's just smart enough to realize that. :D

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No new pictures Mstng, but I'll get around to it :)

Heather, I guess we're just suckers for cast-off critters (the cats and turtle were also rescued)... cast-off furniture (neighbor had a desk out on the curb Thursday with a "FREE" sign on it -- easy child wanted it, so in the van it went)... I laughed and told husband about a sign I saw in the side of the road on my way to collect difficult child 1 at camp yesterday -- "FREE HORSES" -- good thing we're not zoned for those or I just might have made a quick side trip... :rofl:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Kisses for Herberts foots.

Poor Chickey................rattlesnakes, bee stings, kids -

I'd say she's a BRAVE chicken. (wait is that an oxy moron?)

Abbey

Spork Queen
Kisses for Herberts foots.

Poor Chickey................rattlesnakes, bee stings, kids -

I'd say she's a BRAVE chicken. (wait is that an oxy moron?)

Yes, Star...that is.

(Do you guys get that???)

I have a personal request. Could we have a font that is much smaller than size 1, mabye like -2, so I can type what is on my mind and no one really sees it??? I get myself in trouble.

Abbey