possible to have the flu

bby31288

Without any other symptoms other than high fever?

husband is sick. It started Friday and has progressively gotten worse. Today his fever is 103.7. We went to the doctor he thinks its the flu. He has no cough. No congestion. He has fever, dizziness, fatigue. I'm concerned because he had a bad tooth pulled on 12/31. For some reason the dr doesn't believe it could be an infection from that.

I just don't know what to do.

S

Signorina

I would be concerned too. While yes, you can have the flu without the other symptoms - IME, it starts with headache & aching but eventually adds some sort of cold symptom or sore throat - I too would be concerned about the tooth issue.

Can you call the dentist?

InsaneCdn

I'm with Sig... it could be either way.
But, I'd be putting the probabilities slightly higher on it being related to the tooth.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds suspiciously like it could be that bad tooth. Was it abscessed before they pulled it? If so, did they give him antibiotics first?

If you suspect the infection from the tooth has possibly gone systemic, get him to the ER. It will show up on the blood tests they routinely do.

I can say that when I came down with H1N1, I had fever aches and dizziness for quite a while before the respiratory symptoms kicked in. I think nearly a week because I was surprised it took so long. Once it did kick in I wished it hadn't. ugh But that is sort of unusual, usually it's 24-48 yrs you'll see the respiratory symptoms kick in.

If it were me? I'd have him checked at the ER.

bby31288

No antibiotics after the tooth was pulled. I called the oral surgeon. Brought him there. He looked at the site. Didn't look especially bad. Did give us an antibiotic just in case. He instructed to take the first dose and advil to break the fever. If after 1st dose of antibiotic he gets a fever back to bring him to the ER. He is augmentin. The fever has broke. He is now laying in bed sweating with the windows open and ceiling fan on. I will keep a close eye on him.

Thanks all.

bby31288

I just gave him a second dose of augmentin. No fever since the last one broke. The second dose was a little soon but I was nervous and really wanted to get it in to him.

Of course to add men are big babies whe they are sick and I'm exhausted from all his whining.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Now? You go find a quiet place yourself and prop up your feet and relax. You deserve it. (and most likely need it ;) )

DammitJanet

Im betting its the tooth too if he had it out so recently. If he hasnt got the other signs of the flu then I would doubt its that. teeth can be nasty things.

bby31288

He's still in bed. This morning temp was at 99. I made him take Advil right away. He has had 3 doses of antibiotics. But he said he feels a bit better. So I'm hopeful.

Now if it is the flu I guess I should be prepared that it will go thru the house. I have been spraying everything with Lysol! Cracking windows open to air germs out. Any other suggestions?!

InsaneCdn

Prevention for you? if you haven't been doing this all along...
1) get your sleep
2) eat well
3) drink lots of healthy fluids (water, herbal tea, etc.)
4) hand washing - diligently
5) sleep in the guest room (lol... not kidding, though)