Prep for the F B A

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The outside agency is coming in Thursday to do the observations and interviews for an F B A. How this is all going to give us great info in one day, I don't know, but...

During Wee's last incident, principal walked up to him while he was struggling against the paras restraint, put her hands on his knees and said "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!" and then more quietly said "come with me". (this is what I'm told. Its not in any reports.) Then I'm also told that he very quickly composed himself and went with her.

While a far cry from the norm with him, it isn't unheard of with him. Particularly if the "new person on the scene" is perceived, by him, as a "safe person". At the time that this happened, Wee had a good rapport with principal, so that may have been what happened here. Wee is also a typical kid who's been taught by the district that this works to get him out of stuff. I'm not above thinking maybe he did try it out this time. But anyway, I'm not gonna get stuck on that arguement...the point the school must understand is that it has to be prevented before it gets to that level. Period and end of story.

Anyway, so principal, in her infinite wisdom, has now decided Wee's not out of control when in these tantrums. We felt she did not buy his diagnoses in the beginning, but she has now verbalized this and take it to the super and the SRO. We also know she is blaming me for a good chunk of the problem.

So, when this outside person comes Thursday, and I have to interview with her, I know she is going to be bombarded before I ever see her with this info. Am trying to decide what my best recourse is... I want her to talk to exMIL, too. Am thinking maybe it would be better to have that done seperately from me? I also thought about sending some emails and the incident reports to her in advance...

I am frustrated and afraid that I won't be able to contain my frustration. The last thing I want to do is fit the description the principal is going to paint of me.

Marguerite

"I know it is highly likely that you have been told that Wee can control himself when in these outbursts. The person who has made this claim does not have any training in Special Education, nor is she a trained health professional. Here are copies of the reports form health professionals. Here are reports from trained SpEd staff. Here is my report - as his mother, I have the longest, most intimate knowledge of this child on a day to day basis. I leave you to assess all the information and give each item the weight it merits according to the expertise and experience of the respective sources."

Then hand over copies of relevant paperwork. Then also discuss how in some situations Wee can be deflected if he perceives the person in authority is someone he can trust, and also that with all these kids, there are degrees of control at different times but being able to have some control at one time does not mean he has full control all the time.

And even if he does - then escalating him the way this Bprincipal has been doing, is NOT the way he should be handled. You do what works, and you stop doing what doesn't work. And what doesn't work, is to stir him up. The SpEd has been prevented from doing her job properly, by Bprincipal micromanaging in her ignorance.

All you can do is lay it on the table, then step back and wait.

And if this fails or the FBA person gets diverted, you still have things you can do.

Do the advocates have any advice for you?

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They really didn't. We did discuss pros and cons of sending her the info in advance via email, but no decision was made.

Which maybe would be the best...leave my opinion out of it as she's doing her observation, but let her chew on the reports during it, knowing the school will paint me in a negative light. That's what turned the corner with the district's attorney...maybe that's the best route here, too.

The school has, more than once, not produced documentation I know they have...maybe just let the documentation and the school speak for themselves...

Marguerite

That's it exactly, Shari. If Bprincipal is going to try to muddy the waters, let the reports provide some clarity and speak for themselves. Any report you also provide - keep it factual, a summary of what problems you observed and age at onset, plus what you tried to do to deal with it. Keep all emotional stuff out of it.

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I just looked up the credentials of the person coming to do this.

An autism consultant with a masters in Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) and complete ABA coursework. Hm. She might be better than the one that was supposed to come last week...

LittleDudesMom

I would venture a guess that this person has "seen it all". Because we are so emotionally connected, we often believe others won't be able to see the light. I would do as Marge suggests. Hand over all documentation, diagnosis's, doctor notes, etc., that can give this person a snapshot of who your son is and how the school has handled it. No emotion.

Then, when you are interviewed, I would definitely ask this person if a one-day look at a child that has this much history is enough for her to make recommendations? Not that you are questioning her ability, rather you know that he has good days and bad days and if triggers are pulled that particular day......

Sharon

Shari-
If she stays true to her ABA training then she truely doesn't care what the diagnosis may or may not be. She doesn't care whether Wee can or cannot control himself during the tantrums. She will solely look at the problematic behaviors to determine what their function is. The interviews and observations will help her determine whether Wee's behaviors are attention seeking or avoidance, sensory seeking or avoidance, escape from task or person, etc. Once the accurate function of the behaviors can be determined then a BIP can be written that directly addresses the behavior's function. Wee will be trained to meet the function with a more acceptable behavior and those that work with him will be trained to alter the environment and their behaviors to meet that function in an acceptable manner. Wee's diagnosis may help narrow the function down quicker but that is all.