Proposed flour

Andy

O.K. I just vented on the Good Morning Thread about something I can not change so have to switch gears to something more positive.

difficult child is bored so has decided to bake something. He has found a recipe and is coming up with questions:

1. What is granulated sugar?
2. What is proposed flour? (proposed? OH, you mean all-purpose - yep, we have that)
3. Is the pancake turner the thing we flip pancakes with?
:dont_know:
Wonder what he is making? Wonder if it will turn out the way he wants it to?

:rofl:

I told him he needs to clean up after himself which he agrees to, just don't know if he knows what it really means? Oh Well anything to keep him busy for the next 1/2 hour (atleast)

slsh

member since 1999
:stopglass:You are a far *far* better woman than I!!! None of my pcs cook, much less thank you!!! :nonono: OK, I know I'm going to have to pass on my sparse skills sometime, but .... not yet.

Questions involving flour, sugar, and pancake turners would have me beaming into the kitchen in a heartbeat!!!!

So you gotta tell us, how did it turn out? Will the kitchen have to be sandblasted? How many fire trucks showed up? (Can you tell I'm a pessimist???) Most importantly, did he share with you? :sushi:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Well are we having pancakes??? Much to my lack of patience, and N's licking of things and stuttering and everything else, let alone K's delusions... I let them cook almost everyday with me. i bite my tongue a lot.

Andy

More fun before it was over -

What is shortening?
Do we have baking soda?
Where is the vanilla?
What is half of "One, that dash sign, four"?
Is 1/8 on this (a Pampered Chef sliding cup)?
What was that "Cris?" that you were talking about? (Crisco)
Goes to read the recipe and comes back, "The recipie doesn't call for shortening"
I forgot to add the granulated sugar, is it too late? (fortunately - no)

He made chocolate chip cookies - from scratch -

He burnt one batch but otherwise they were "o.k." (eatable)

It actually was good for him to burn some - he gets soo extra upset about things like that - I told him to just throw them away, no big deal.

He put the mixing bowl with mixer beaters in the sink and filled with water for soaking.

I grew up with free reign of the kitchen. Was making cookies and cakes since 1st grade, supper since 2nd grade, pies from scratch since 3rd grade. I think that cooking helped me understand my fractions and learn time management.

difficult child has a strong interest in cooking. He also likes to grill and is now our "Grill Master". I made two cordon blues from scratch Monday night and he grilled them for lunch for him and his babysitter yesterday. (electric grill - just need to make sure it is unplugged when done - he even cleans the grill)

Andy

P.S. We got to go through an "I'm scared! I am going to die." "Why?" "I tasted the batter after I put eggs in it." "Well, settle down, we will just have to wait to see what happens." (am I being to nonchalant here?)

4sumrzn

I'm glad to hear it went rather well!!!! Ohhh.......a weakness of mine....cookie batter/dough!!!! Growing up & now....we only end up with a few cookies baked. I know.......not good.

I'm happy it was a good day in the kitchen for difficult child ;)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
You handled that MARVELOUSLY Adrianne! BRAVO! And BRAVO to your difficult child :D I think it's great he's allowed some freedom to try new things on his own. A man that can cook is a wonderful thing!

My difficult child's know how to make quesadillas on the stovetop, and they microwave lots of things like soup, leftovers, popcorn, etc. Cereal and toast are standards, as well. easy child likes to make mac 'n' cheese on the stove top also, but I have to do the draining of the hot water until she's a bit taller and stronger.

Christy

Are you going to be brave enough to test the finished product? Good for you for letting difficult child loose in the kitchen.

My son actually really enjoys cooking, especilly if there is a batter bowl to lick. We will make a cake for husband this weekend for father's day.

One fun thing we did recently is "filmed" a cooking show. He made tuna noodle casarole. We measured everything out ahead of time in those litlte glass bowls and he went throught the process step by step. It's really cute to watch. Then he filmed me making a sald and doing my best Rachael Ray style commentary. I have no head for most of the tape but there are some interesting close-ups LOL.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I love the proposed flour!!!

My difficult child too likes too cook. He has to be the messiest cook ever!

trinityroyal

Adrienne, sounds like things went very well.
I like that you had the patience to let difficult child experiment.

Cooking is one of those things that my difficult child does really well...well enough that he could make a career of it, if not for the ODD which leads him to "defy" the recipe by putting in too much, too little or not-at-all of certain ingredients because the book tells him too, and the ever-present danger of him wandering off mid-fry-up and burning down the house.

As others have said, it's a great skill for a child to have and helps greatly with an real-world understanding of math.

After all, why else would fractions be important, than to know how many chocolate chips you will have left over to snack on after you've put the right amount in the mix?

And what a bonus, that the cookies were eatable!.Go difficult child

witzend

OMG! That's really sweet! And you know, if eating cookie dough was going to kill us, there'd be very few women left in the world! Yuummmy!