Question on IEP Process

DS3

Just a question about this whole IEP thing... I signed the paperwork on the 30th of September. The 60 days they have to evaluate difficult child will be up the 25th of November. That is the week that they are off of school. So should I expect something the week before or the week after? And should I call to see what is going on with it since I haven't heard anything since I signed the paper?

I also know that there was something mentioned about 30 days after the 60 the school has the time to do something. Sorry, A little busy this morning and haven't pulled the paperwork to see exactly what that is. And I'm still getting my coffee in me.

DS3

seriously

What is the time line?

Once the school has decided to evaluate the student AND they have received written consent, they must conduct a full individual initial evaluation within 60 days of receiving parental consent for the evaluation or,

If the state establishes a timeframe, the evaluation must be conducted within such timeframe. Currently, Texas adheres to the 60 calendar days to complete the evaluation from the time the signed consent is received.

The timeframe does not apply if the parent of a child repeatedly fails or refuses to produce the child for the evaluation.

Anyway, I think it is reasonable to hold them to the expectation that the evaluation will be completed by the week after Thanksgiving, especially if the schools there are closed the whole week.

But it wouldn't hurt to jog their elbows.

And they have 30 days after that to hold an ARD meeting so getting the evaluation finished before Thanksgiving would be better = you might get a meeting before Winter Break.

DS3

Alrighty. I shall start some rattling of the chains to see if we can't get this done before thanksgiving break. Thanks for the advice.

DS3

Thanks. :) I sent an email to the speech therapist who is in charge of the evaluation process (or at least that's who I signed the paperwork with), and cc'd it to the principal and difficult child's teacher. I also requested a parent-teacher conference with his teacher about his report card. Even the ABA therapist doesn't agree with everything there. So we shall see what happens. I also printed out a copy of the 'sent' emails for my records.

:sword:

DS3

So the school called. Evaluation is done, and I should be getting a packet today to review and sign. He does qualify for an IEP and not 504 for speech therapy. They have scheduled the ARD meeting for the 18th @ 2:30pm. I'll see what this paperwork says (if anything important) and post back! Great news though since we will have the ARD before Thanksgiving and it will start on the 28th (which is what I am told).

:musicdance:

T

TeDo

YIPEEEEE! Now you need to make a list of everything YOU think he needs to help him be successful at school, not just speech therapy. Include anything he even remotely struggles with like ANY behavior, reading, writing, comprehending, math, spelling, etc. The longer the list hopefully the more accommodations he can get to prevent the small problems from getting bigger and trying to deal with them later.

Go Get Em!!!!

DS3

Man, this is going to be tougher then I thought. I mean, he needs the speech therapy. But the school doesn't see the phonological disorder, and his ABA says its getting better, so no real concern there I suppose. But trying to get him to sit down and actually do work, like waiting, counting, math, writing, is when he tries to flee. No matter the reward, he will try to flee with those. So what do I write? This is my very first ARD meeting. I have no idea what to expect since it is my first. Classes can only teach so much. I don't even have a reference IEP to look at so that I could make my own to show them what I want... ~feeling suddenly overwhelmed~

buddy

you said he qualified under speech language impairment? Do you have a diagnosis? I can't remember... (I am a little confused, your sig says he is 4. He gets a report card???) I would make sure if he qualified under s/l which then would mean he will have that as his primary disability area, that you push to have OHI (other health impairment) on as a secondary because he has the ADHD/sensory processing disorder (SPD) diagnoses. It is a matter of them checking off the things under that criteria category and including it. The reason is that for speech langauge only, you will not get people to see the connection for in class supports quite as well in some settings. Shouldn't matter but kids on S/l only plans tend to be less invloved and not to have as many interventions in the class. You want as much muscle as possible as the years go on. It is all about perception and so it is just a suggestion I woudl push for in my humble opinion. You dont know yet what they are proposing. Maybe he qualified under daughter since he is ECSE age. They will likely come iwth a Draft proposal or at least a list of ideas for which category he is meeting and what goals and objectives they will propose. dont worry about how to write the goal just think about what you want for him...(hypothetical example: I want jonny to be able to ask for what he needs, I want jonny to be able to follow simple directions, etc. ) they will help put it into measurable goals. Remember you do not have to sign anything even if it looks all completed and typed in the forms. Any form brought to an evaluation meeting as a proposed IEP should be stamped clearly on EACH page, draft so you dont have to feel pressure and feel you had no input. That is done all the time and is not a big deal as long as they make it clear it is a draft.

T

TeDo

Buddy gave you some great ideas as examples. If waiting for things is a problem, list "waiting for......". Same with counting, math, writing. Just list the things in these areas he struggles with. If they don't bring them up at the meeting, you bring them up. Think of anything anyone has commented about that applies to the school/learning environment. Buddy's right, you don't have to write the goals. Just list your concerns and those others have said to you. Let THEM try to figure out how to help him with them.

Also, don't sign ANYTHING (except the meeting attendance sheet only IF that is all it is) at the meeting or after. They will give you their findings and "proposed" plan. Take everything home after the meeting and read everything VERY carefully and digest it all. If anything doesn't make total sense to you, ask them to clarify it for you. Our SD didn't write up the proposed IEP until after the meeting so who knows. If there is anything missing or incorrect in their proposal, bring it to their attention. Do NOT sign anything until you are totally satisfied with the whole plan. YOU have final say.

Sorry if this is overwhelming you but I learned al this the hard way. That was before I found this board and didn't know better. Knowing now will save you headaches later. You can do this. You know his issues and you know what he will need help with. Just put all your thoughts on paper and share them. Also, make sure you take notes at the meeting. This will help you remember later AND remind you who said what and hold them accountable if they don't follow through.

Good luck. You will do fine. Sending supportive, strengthening {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}} your way.

InsaneCdn

DS... he's FOUR. So much of the logic in an IEP is tailored to "school age". BUT... he needs help NOW.

Try thinking in terms of "behavior" examples, rather than "academics"... its not that he can't learn, or even necessarily that he learns differently... but he can't handle what he is being asked to do, so... WHY? Get THEM thinking about the sequences of events and the triggers and possible approaches...

And remember that, by starting this young, less is "known" as in formal dxes and such... but less is written-in-stone in his development, too. This is a voyage of discovery. A few small wins now, can really add up fast, and can actually affect the way he develops...

Its just kinda hard feeling like you haven't even gotten your feet wet yet... and you're expected to be performing in a water-skiing show!

DS3

That would be my concern. He is only 4, and I know a lot cannot be diagnosis'd right now. But I want to make sure we plan for possible future events. Or am I thinking of this wrong?

As for the academics, I'm going off of what his Report card says. While he may not have been graded in come areas this semester, he will be in upcoming ones. I already know where the problem lies with those because his ABA has been working with him in those.

As for the BIP, he got an N in regards to controlling his emotions, behavior and attention. Which is why I want a BIP added. I don't want him to continue that way. I want him to be able to focus better. To be able to raisae his hand and wait until the teacher calls on him. That sort of stuff.

On a plus side, we go pick up hubby today! We're all excited!

buddy

That would be my concern. He is only 4, and I know a lot cannot be diagnosis'd right now. But I want to make sure we plan for possible future events. Or am I thinking of this wrong?

As for the academics, I'm going off of what his Report card says. While he may not have been graded in come areas this semester, he will be in upcoming ones. I already know where the problem lies with those because his ABA has been working with him in those.

As for the BIP, he got an N in regards to controlling his emotions, behavior and attention. Which is why I want a BIP added. I don't want him to continue that way. I want him to be able to focus better. To be able to raisae his hand and wait until the teacher calls on him. That sort of stuff.

On a plus side, we go pick up hubby today! We're all excited!

Have fun with hubby!

I have been part of writing many many ecse IEP's but I have never worked anywhere where there were report cards for preschool, lol. Certainly we did conferences and periodic reviews for the IEP goals... but it seems funny to me to say N for emotional control for a preschooler. Usually just comments on a report for little ones. In any event the IEP's for our area are divided into: social/emotional goals, communication/speech/lanaguage, gross motor, fine motor/sensory, cognitive (pre academic skills). The behavior goals are typically written into the IEP because they are a part of all of the above. Unless there needs to be specific ways of handling certain behaviors (like aggression) then a bip would be written for that particular thing. The raising hands (not usually done well in preschool, they start to learn it better in K but the prerequisite skills of waiting, imitating, etc. should be worked on). This IEP will go into the beginning of K so you can think of things that will support that, but each IEP is geared for one year, to build skils for the next year.

I think if you add to your list that you bring to the meeting...I want him to be able to raise his hand and not interrupt the class, it is a great way to start a conversation about how to get there and these folks should be able to list off the skills needed to get there, then to write them in objective/measurable form.

you are not doing it alone so no worries. And remember, once in Special Education there will be lots of things they will work on besides the IEP goals, most of the kids have issues that need group help and support. The IEP for us/the kids can become overwhelming if we try to include every single detail of what we want them to achieve in life.... so if you can pick things that represent an area that will impact many skills (example: in math if a child can do algebra, they are likely also working on multiplication, division, addition, subtraction, etc...you dont have to list all of them.... for early childhood, if they have issues with boundaries, you can write to keep hands/feet to self, then you are working on standing in lines, sitting nicely by friends, not slapping the teacher when she is helping you on a coloring page, whatever), Anything you feel is important IS important so bring it up. They will help you sort it through and if you feel it is really something you want but they dont see it just say it is important to you, smile.

good luck, have some fun with hub.

ps i am editing this.... the difference between putting the goals in the IEP vs. just a bip....now you have a measurable goal and people are accountable for building the skill. BIP can have measurement but usually more like counts of negative and positive behaviors, as well as using tools for calming, avoiding behaviors, supporting the student in a time of distress, how to re-engage a student who "escapes" etc.... You can certainly have both, most do when a bip is needed! BIPs are great, just a little different focus than working to develop age appropriate behaviors which at preschool level may be really helpful.

DS3

That's good to know. I have to go through and re-read my notes. I know goals have to be measurable, and there should be a way to measure them to show progress. So now it's just coming up with what goals we have in mind, and how to make them measurable. He's actually very well behaved in school for the most part. I see the 'bad' behavior more when he's home. I think that is because he holds it in until he gets home, then lets loose. This whole thing shall be interesting. I do have an advocate going with me.

InsaneCdn

He's actually very well behaved in school for the most part. I see the 'bad' behavior more when he's home. I think that is because he holds it in until he gets home, then lets loose

Uh huh. I remember.

Be prepared. School is likely going to tell you - on some level - that this is not a school problem, because he behaves so well at school.

NOT. But it is an uphill battle to get them to understand that he is just barely hanging on at school... and at some point, the problems that now happen at home, WILL happen at school. Its only a matter of time.

Glad you have an advocate going with you...

JJJ

Remember that an IEP isn't a one-time thing. As the child grows and more needs surface or some needs stabilize, the IEP will be changed to reflect those changes. That is why it is legally required to hold an IEP meeting at least once per calander year to review progress and update goals and services. You or the school can also call for IEP meeting whenever you think you need one (if he is acting out alot at school, an IEP meeting may be called so that a FBA can be done an a BIP added to the IEP).

Don't worry about writing the goals yourself. Just bring in your concerns and your suggestions for addressing them, the goals can be written at the meeting.

buddy

Remember that an IEP isn't a one-time thing. As the child grows and more needs surface or some needs stabilize, the IEP will be changed to reflect those changes. That is why it is legally required to hold an IEP meeting at least once per calander year to review progress and update goals and services. You or the school can also call for IEP meeting whenever you think you need one (if he is acting out alot at school, an IEP meeting may be called so that a FBA can be done an a BIP added to the IEP).

Don't worry about writing the goals yourself. Just bring in your concerns and your suggestions for addressing them, the goals can be written at the meeting.
most states have not gone with this, and they were doing pilots on it in some areas....so not sure where this stands now (I dont know anyone who thought it was a good idea) BUT, the reauthorization of IDEA included language for doing IEP's every 3 years! What brilliant beaurocrat thought of that? And how it got thru???