Raw Water - Please Don't!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Apparently there is a new trend out there called "raw water". You pay a bundle to buy water that is bottled straight from a stream or spring with no filtration or treatment. It promises to be 'clean', 'healthy' or otherwise full of things your body needs. Apparently one source even says it has special probiotics that you can only get from water but that are taken out when water is treated.

Please do not try this!! It is absolutely not safe to drink water without treating it. There is no location where the water would be safe to drink. It could have a great number of bacteria or parasites or other disease causing microbes that could harm you. It could also have a great number of chemicals in it, acquired from farm runoff, pesticides or fertilizers from golf course runoff, factory emissions, heavy metals that leached into groundwater from the soil, and so many other things. It is truly an unsafe thing to ingest.

How do I know so much? First, my grandmother lived in a small city that occupied 1 mile on the top of a large hill. It was called Mt. Healthy because the residents were the only healthy people during a large cholera epidemic. Learning about the history was part of the family history.

Then I married a man who did water quality testing for the EPA. His company tested what factories were releasing into rivers to see if it met EPA regulations. They also did the same sort of testing for wastewater treatment plants and large factory farms. He was horrified when I told him that some company was selling "Raw Water" and what it was.

There are a great number of charities that are dedicated to bringing water filtration systems and methods to third world countries. To think that someone is trying to bring unfiltered water to the naive among us and they are selling it as a health food just makes me very angry. Especially as I am sure that "Raw Water" costs a small fortune compared to the cost of the actual water in the bottle.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Apparently there is a new trend out there called "raw water". You pay a bundle to buy water that is bottled straight from a stream or spring with no filtration or treatment. It promises to be 'clean', 'healthy' or otherwise full of things your body needs. Apparently one source even says it has special probiotics that you can only get from water but that are taken out when water is treated.

Please do not try this!! It is absolutely not safe to drink water without treating it. There is no location where the water would be safe to drink. It could have a great number of bacteria or parasites or other disease causing microbes that could harm you. It could also have a great number of chemicals in it, acquired from farm runoff, pesticides or fertilizers from golf course runoff, factory emissions, heavy metals that leached into groundwater from the soil, and so many other things. It is truly an unsafe thing to ingest.

How do I know so much? First, my grandmother lived in a small city that occupied 1 mile on the top of a large hill. It was called Mt. Healthy because the residents were the only healthy people during a large cholera epidemic. Learning about the history was part of the family history.

Then I married a man who did water quality testing for the EPA. His company tested what factories were releasing into rivers to see if it met EPA regulations. They also did the same sort of testing for wastewater treatment plants and large factory farms. He was horrified when I told him that some company was selling "Raw Water" and what it was.

There are a great number of charities that are dedicated to bringing water filtration systems and methods to third world countries. To think that someone is trying to bring unfiltered water to the naive among us and they are selling it as a health food just makes me very angry. Especially as I am sure that "Raw Water" costs a small fortune compared to the cost of the actual water in the bottle.
Girl after my own heart. This is just a trend that takes the cake ....right after coffee enemas. Also a please don’t.

BusynMember

Lol. Apparently so. And some really gullible fans, who think fame equals special knowledge, are willing to try it.

What a waste (product) of Starbucks!!! (Hehe)

Lil

Okay...I read the article on Raw Water and I just want to know - HOW?

How is it possible to bottle and sell anything for mass consumption without the FDA putting a stop to it? I mean, sure, your veggies and jams from the Farmer's Market aren't tested and could be full of germs (You're just assuming they aren't, but really if I were selling food at the Farmer's Market, I guarantee there would be at least a couple of dog hairs in it.) but that's a different ballgame from bottling and selling on the open market? Is this just a local thing? How weird is that?

Littleboylost

Okay...I read the article on Raw Water and I just want to know - HOW?

How is it possible to bottle and sell anything for mass consumption without the FDA putting a stop to it? I mean, sure, your veggies and jams from the Farmer's Market aren't tested and could be full of germs (You're just assuming they aren't, but really if I were selling food at the Farmer's Market, I guarantee there would be at least a couple of dog hairs in it.) but that's a different ballgame from bottling and selling on the open market? Is this just a local thing? How weird is that?
All very good questions Lil. The ultimate question is simply Why!

Lil

So...I just went to Amazon and found a "raw water" seller and asked the following question:

Is this water tested for nasty little microbes? Water runs across contaminated land into streams. How do you know this is safe to sell?

Got to wonder if they'll answer me. :sneaky:

Littleboylost

So...I just went to Amazon and found a "raw water" seller and asked the following question:

Is this water tested for nasty little microbes? Water runs across contaminated land into streams. How do you know this is safe to sell?

Got to wonder if they'll answer me. :sneaky:
Good for you Lil!

susiestar

Roll With It
I seriously thought that people were just making it up when they were talking about Gweneth's GOOP. But it really is a thing, more is the pity.

Jess used to make Goop and leave it all over the house. It drove me nuts, especially if it was still wet. It was a mixture of toilet paper, ground up sidewalk chalk, and water.

What is the point of a coffee enema? Doesn't the coffee do more good if you put it in the other end?

Also, what is this push to 'detox'. I thought that was something that drug abusers needed. Now it seems that we all need to do it every other week.

Jabberwockey

Susie, other than direct absorption of the caffeine, I can think of NO reason to, in the immoral words of South Park, rectally ingest my coffee. Things like this are the reason a lot of people are called sheeple. They follow whoever bleats the loudest no matter how stupid the ideas they have may be. Just look at the anger management oompa loompa.

BusynMember

Jabber, it is indeed a wonder why some people let others with no credentials tell us how to take care of ourselves or what to think and these "non experts" have groupies that care what these goofs say. Celebrities, mindless babblers on talk radio, Dr. Phil....WHO CARES??? WHY care?

And, for the record, I prefer ingesting my coffee in a way that I can taste it, thank you ;)

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, water soluble drugs are absorbed very rapidly (comparable to IV) via blood vessels in the rectum, and bypass the liver. The process of using drugs per rectum non-medically is called "plugging". Medically, many medications are administered rectally, especially in cases where for some reason, such as vomiting, the patient cannot take medications by mouth, or in the case of infants.

Coffee enemas have been around for a LONG time, and the idea of giving medications via enema of "clyster" goes back to way before C.E. In the case of coffee, you would get a more intense caffeine buzz, and irritated rectal and colon tissues from the acids in the coffee, but no real beneficial effects.

Some things, like slippery elm, or other demulcents, could actually be helpful in the case of irritation of that part of the body.

I've read the "Goop" website and have concluded that Gwyneth Paltrow, in addition to not being a particularly good actress, is a whack job.

BusynMember

GN, I do know that some medicine can be given rectally. But coffee???!

I am not a celebrity or movie fan. I think80 percent of all movies are a waste of time But there is this non expert named Jennifer McCarthy who KNOWS that you can cure autism and that her son was cured. Suuuuuure.

I never get why anyone would listen to an actors opinion on anything. They are just people, no smarter than anyone else, and many have more issues than your average person.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Just watch a few episodes of "Monster Inside Me" and you'll seriously think about WHAT you put into your body!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm quite familiar with Jennifer McCarthy. Not through her "acting", but because I hold her responsible for popularizing the anti-vax movement in the US.