Raw Water - Please Don't!!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm just old enough to have "skated under the wire" on a lot of childhood diseases we vaccinate for. I've had measles (thanks 2 weeks in an oxygen tent), mumps, rubella, and chicken pox (yep...sure enjoyed the shingles back in May.)

My mother and father are part of the generation that didn't learn to swim, despite growing up on oceans and lakes because of the fear of polio spreading where children gathered in the summer. Both had whooping cough.

And now, because of a falsified medical paper, and a crazy actress with no scientific training, we are seeing these diseases making a comeback.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I know it's not just her, SWOT. There are also African and tribal Middle East leaders claiming that vaccines are really to sterilize children.

I remember being rushed into the pediatrician for the polio shot, and then when the oral vaccine came out, all us kids being lined up at school for it to be administered.

The only times I have seen vaccines really make people sick was when husband's unit POMed for deployment on a couple of peacekeeping missions.

They were vaccinated all at once for a large variety of tropical diseases (20+), and husband, like several other soldiers in his unit, became very ill for a couple of weeks.

I think in that case, it was just too much of a mass assault on their immune systems.

However, neither husband, no any of his fellow soldiers suffered permanent harm from the vaccines.

We had plenty of autistic people in my family, me included, who didn't have the MMR vaccine as children.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
As the parent of a small child... I say VACCINATE! Ugh, this whole "back to nature" bit is making me crazy. If that's what the Higher Power intended, why did He/She give certain people the brains to figure out how to avoid getting sick? Such as vaccines, antibiotics, filtration...

Rose despises getting shots but I remember getting them AT SCHOOL. I don't know which ones. But I was too young for the chicken pox vaccine so I got that. Got measles, too, somehow, even though I had been vaccinated. Still, nothing worse. And it could have been. I had a friend, growing up, whose mother was in a wheelchair due to childhood polio.

Raw water... wow... let's just eat random amoeba and see what happens.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm a bit older than you, Annie, and I remember a lot of older polio victims from my childhood: people's parent's, teaqchers, etc. It just wasn't that common.

I also remember people in iron lungs, etc. My last exposure to it was a woman to whom I sold a Maine Coon kitten to for show. She used a wheelchair and/or walked with a leg brace, due to polio as a child. She wound up returning the cat to me years later due to her having developed post-polio syndrome, which rendered her bedridden and weakened her respiratory muscles. She died of pneumonia a couple of years ago.

Despite our having been vaccinated, my parents always used to try to find an area at the beaches away from other people/kids. They believed in the efficacy of the vaccines, but the fear had been so drummed into them as children and teens that it was hard for them to get past it.

Nomad

Staff member
Has anyone heard of a Berkeley water filter? It is suppose to be very good.
I've often wondered if you would have unusually good water if you took it from an unusually fresh stream with very minimum politants and then ran it through this filter prior to drinking. Just some random thought. Probably silly.
I drink a lot of Mountain Valley springs bottled water from a glass jar when I can get it on sale. I also like Evian. I constantly check out sales. The Berkey water filter seems good and eventually I might get it ...likely filtering tap water though.

Nomad

Staff member
Re vaccines
First off, no way am I anti vaccine
BUT
I have two concerns
1.mmr shot. What do they need to be given all together? It seems like a big assault on the body. I think this is the one I had as a child. The doctor called it "the three in one shot." I fainted afterwards and was sickly too. May have meant nothing.
2. Flu shot
This is one I won't take. I have ITP... big words for low platelets. It is an autoimmune disease. Serious pita.
I have Lupus and other stuff too.
I went to an ITP cinvention and was blown away by the roomful of folks who took the flu shot and voila...got ITP. Many were quickly compensated by the manufacturer of the vaccine. Many were in lawsuits and they ALL looked promising WTH? They do NOT deny it can cause ITP. Also, a good friend of mine, her mom took the shot and got Belle Palsy

My oldest dearest friend, just took the shot two weeks ago, has never gotten the flu in her life. Has never taken the shot before and guess what? A week later..she got s bad case of the flu.

Not exactly against the flu shot, but I wont take it. Maybe people should give it a lot of thought first. Certainly if you work in a high risk situation, you might feel it is more worth it. I just think this shot is concerning.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Has anyone heard of a Berkeley water filter? It is suppose to be very good.
I've often wondered if you would have unusually good water if you took it from an unusually fresh stream with very minimum politants and then ran it through this filter prior to drinking. Just some random thought. Probably silly.
I drink a lot of Mountain Valley springs bottled water from a glass jar when I can get it on sale. I also like Evian. I constantly check out sales. The Berkey water filter seems good and eventually I might get it ...likely filtering tap water though.
Filtering tap water is fine the filters are filtering out micron particles. Just don’t get scammed by alkaline water hoo ha. Or as Gwenyth would say Goop.
We always have a water filter system that bypasses the mail water and goes to a filtered drinking tap. Purely for taste as I believe our water is perfectly fine to drink fro the tap.

Jabberwockey

Certainly if you work in a high risk situation, you might feel it is more worth it.

Working at a prison I definitely fall in this category and much to the chagrin of @Lil I refuse to get the flu shot. Both times I got the shot it made me sick as a dog for almost a month. Worst winters ever health wise for me. Everyone says "The flu shot doesn't make you sick, that's just not true". Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't change the fact that NEVER AGAIN will I get that stupid shot. I've been recently told how many advances they must have made in the shots. It has been around 20 years since the last time I got a flu shot. Don't care. If people would put down the damned hand sanitizers and actually allow themselves to come in contact with a germ every once in a while, MAYBE they would actually start to build up a bit of a natural immunity! So endeth my rant.

Lil

Both times I got the shot it made me sick as a dog for almost a month.

:sigh: For the billionth time. You cannot get the flu from a flu shot. There is NO live virus in the flu shot. You cannot get it from a dead virus. The fact that you were sick after getting a shot is nothing but a coincidence. I got fat after I married you. Saying "I do" while wearing a white dress was not what made me fat. :p Just like this year, the very nasty flu going around was not one of the ones in the shot...you likely got something they didn't put in it. The best they can do is an educated guess.

FWIW - I have had the flu in the past. However, I have never had the flu in the years I've gotten a flu shot - more than twice. So my anecdotal evidence is greater than your anecdotal evidence. :D

Nomad

Staff member
Everyone is different

It was strange how my friend got the flu after getting the shot. I guess one guess is it lowered her immune system ???

I can tell you for sure that ITP thing is real (low platelets)

I personally don't trust it.

Lil

Everyone is different

It was strange how my friend got the flu after getting the shot. I guess one guess is it lowered her immune system ???

I can tell you for sure that ITP thing is real (low platelets)

I personally don't trust it.

And that's fair. The flu shot doesn't have every strain of flu possible only the ones they think they will see. Sometimes they are wrong - like this year.

I've never heard of the ITP...will have to look that up.

I've never said I got the flu from the flu shot. Just that it makes me very sick. You just assume flu.:devil:
:slap:

Nomad

Staff member
From what I understand, it (ITP) is an uncommon side effect. I think BElls Palsey is another uncommon side effect. My guess is there are others.
If it also can lower your immune system temporarily, makes some folks sick and has a fairly low percentage of being effective (for whatever reason) ...welll

I have ITP probably because I just am prone to autoimmune disease. It's been very difficult. Lots of difficult medications, very frequent blood tests, expensive doctor visits. I would be ticked big time if I got this from the flu shot. I've met many who have.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've gotten the flu shot ever since I got the flu 2 yrs running right after moving out of the house and working in a hospital computer room in a position that required me to go up on the floors to deliver reports and hook up equipment.

Both years, I wound up hospitalized with nasty cases of pneumonia (NOT the "walking" type). In once case, my father, after being unable to reach me on the phone for 3 days, came over and kicked in my front door, only to find me on the floor burning up with fever and turning blue from lack of O2. The second time, I collapsed at work with it. In both cases, It started with the flu. I kept up with the shots, especially when working in call centers which are festering disease factories. Once Stu got sick and his immune system went bad, he couldn't have vaccinations and couldn't fight off illness. I got the shot then as a way of protecting us both. I still get it. Never "got the flu". Worst I've gotten is a very sore arm and a day or two of achy feverishness afterwards.

BusynMember

I had to get a flu shot when I worked at Head Start. It was mandatory. I never had any reaction at all so I kept it up. Never got the flu, but am not prone to it anyway.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The vaccine that made me sick was the pneumonia vaccination I had a couple of years ago: fever, muscle aches, and a miserable headache for 3 days.

Littleboylost

From what I understand, it (ITP) is an uncommon side effect. I think BElls Palsey is another uncommon side effect. My guess is there are others.
If it also can lower your immune system temporarily, makes some folks sick and has a fairly low percentage of being effective (for whatever reason) ...welll

I have ITP probably because I just am prone to autoimmune disease. It's been very difficult. Lots of difficult medications, very frequent blood tests, expensive doctor visits. I would be ticked big time if I got this from the flu shot. I've met many who have.

These are NOT side effects they are reported A/Es; correlation does not equal causation many many A/Es are reported in clinical data, this does not mean they are caused by the said treatment, flu short or other treatments included. any itch, scratch, bump occurring while in a study on a study drug is recored and an A/E even a car accident. There has never been any causal association with ITP or Bells Palsy with the Flu Vaccine. I recorded a bruised thumb on my clinical trial patient the other day, yes he trapped in in a door.....but I have to report it.

Now I may throw a wrench into the monkey works here as the nasal inhaled Flu vaccine is acutely a live attenuated vaccine and not a whole cell killed vaccine i opt for the injection. I have severe asthma and an underlying auto immune disease, i always get my flu shot. If i get the flu or even a head cold it always least to pneumonia with me and that is something I would rather not die from. I get a bit funky after my vaccine by nothing a tylenol wont help.

Littleboylost

The vaccine that made me sick was the pneumonia vaccination I had a couple of years ago: fever, muscle aches, and a miserable headache for 3 days.
I had an anaphylactic reaction 10 years ago to the old pneumococcal vaccine. I got the new vaccine in a clinic last year and had to stay for 3 hours for post observation, not a single adverse reaction. Good for another 10 years. I did get a terrible terrible cold/flu in December, probably more a cold as it lingered too long with too much sinus involvement. I am grateful this did not lead to a bout of pneumonia.