Reynauds

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Anyone have any experience with this?

My hands and feet are ALWAYS cold. It is mostly near bedtime when they are at their worst though. When I go to bed I wear a t-shirt, long thin stretchy knit pants, & 2 pairs of socks. I line the bottom of my bed with a fleece blanket (I already have flannel sheets on the bed) and then have 3 blankets on top of my feet along with a heating pad and my feet are STILL cold. It's mostly the tops of my feet and my ankles. :cold:

I even wear socks to bed in August, during heat waves. I will sleep in next to nothing but have to have socks on my feet!:childishmask:

My hands are also always cold like this, sometimes one or two fingers will get nimb and tingly. My feet and hands do not turn white or blue.

The core of my body, my torso is always warm enough:mad:, sometimes too warm for the 2nd blanket, but my feet are freezing. I am currently looking for an oversized heating pad because the heating pad I have is the regular size and it's not big enought. I tried a warming throw blanket but it never got warm enough for my feet.

I am really getting tired of this and I know that I'm totally not a turn on for H to see when we hit the sheets, if you know what I mean. I dress like a darned eskimo to go to bed and I hate it. Not to mention that I'd like my feet and hands to NOT be so cold all the time. I swear when I shake hands with people they must think I'm a witch with ice running through my veins. In fact, I've been told that literally!

I've researched reynauds and it sounds like me, except for the turning white and blue. I don't not have that. My hands remain pink. Anyone?

Lothlorien

Instead of a heating pad, try using a heating blanket at the bottom of your bed.

I don't have experience with that. My feet are always cold and I always wear socks to bed. In the winter, I usually use a thick rayon-type sock. I can't think of the name of it right now, but they are good to wick moisture away, keeping your feet warm. There are also socks made from polypropolene. These are naturally wicking also. You can get them usually in the hunting sections of sporting good stores. They also make the polypropolene sock liners....basically a thin sock that you can wear under another sock that may otherwise be uncomfortable, like wool.

Lothlorien

Oh, they are acrylic socks that I generally wear. They are warm and wick away moisture, keeping your feet warm. The polypropolene socks are good too.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Jo -

I have Raynauds. I've had it for about 9 years. There isn't much you can do for it. There are some exercises you can do in the summer to help you through the winter. Dunking your hands and feet in ice water and then plunging them into the sun, then plunging them into the ice water again and so on.

My nose gets super cold, my hands and feet are blue a lot. I have poor circulation - and rheumatoid arthritis. The test to see if you have it - is pretty quick - You will either be diagnosis with Raynauds Syndrome or Raynauds Disease. Except for learning how to avoid cold and not over heating yourself with the house heater and wearing gloves a lot - there isn't much you can do.

DO however get a check up because Raynauds rarely runs alone. You could have a blocked artery, you could have aa connective tissue disorder, arthritis - anemia. There are a lot of things that go hand in cold hand with Raynauds.

It's a progressive disease - but not much is being done to help people with it. I'm lucky my toes or finger tips have gotten dark blue - the moons on my nails look like I'm drained of blood and I rub the circulation back into them. Haven't lost a finger or a toe, or a nose yet.

There is a Raynauds support group. They aren't nearly as much fun as we are. And I guess I've just learned to live with it.

I have so many different things wrong with me that complicate each other - I've never worried about the Raynauds. Sleeping with a hot waterbottle on your feet is lovely - I did the heating pad - but it never seemed to warm my feet up. As far as my fingers go - they just get numb. I'll stick them under my arms for a while and then push on.

Do get checked out though - WHen I started with Raynauds - I only had 3 "diseases" ; now 10 years later - I can't list them all here - you'd think I were a freak. Seems like the Raynauds was the start of it all though- maybe it's like a "whistle blower" for other problems.

I sure hope not for you -
Hugs
Star

F

flutterbee

I had this, too, except my fingertips changed colors. They would turn this really pretty shade of lavender. Haven't had it at all since I had the heart attack and angioplasty.

Star's right. Reynauds rarely stands alone and if you aren't changing colors it might be something else entirely.

saving grace

My son has it, his doctor told him that it is severly aggaravated by his smoking. He told him to quit smoking and his symptoms would decrease by more than 1/2.
He hasnt quit.

Grace

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks ladies. I went out tonight and bought some "Wickit" cool sock liners. They wick the moisture away and are liners for my regular socks. I bought some nice merino wool socks to layer over the liners - right now my feet are warm, but the tops are still cold. I should go get my heating pad ready.

When I have my physical in 2 weeks, I will let my DR know my symptoms. Thanks again~

mum2JK&TH

Both difficult child and myself have it. I have it in both my hands and feet, difficult child just seems to have just in his hands. Mine actually was so bad last night I was scared. Believe it or not it went numb and white while I was in the house (which is a first). I had to take difficult child to hockey last night and I'm not sure if that is what made it so bad (it didn't have a chance to go back to normal before I got into the arena) but when we got home it was the most painful, ugliest thing I had seen with it and I have had it for as long as I can remember. It was a purple blue. Usually they go white and numb and then come back. Last night this one finger took forever to change, no matter what I did. Gloves aren't a good thing to wear as they seperate the fingers, mittens are far better. Have you thought of using a heating blanket on your bed. Just turn it on before you go to bed and then turn it off when you get into bed (or keep it on). They have ones now that are even one-sided. Hope something works. It's a real pain to have that's for sure.

I never know there was a name for this. I don't even know if that's what I have, but my hands are cold all winter long, even when the rest of me is fine.
Day or night. Also, my right ring finger, at the tip, I think must have been frostbitten at one time because whenever it is cold, the tip is very painful. Like right under the nail. If I bump it, I see stars. I wear gloves in the house a lot in the wintertime.

I so empathize with you all.

Star*

call 911........call 911
BBK -

The finger you have sensitivity in? It's GOD'S way of telling you "DO NOT LIFT THAT FINGER." and we KNOW which one that is.....

:laugh:

Abbey

Spork Queen
I have perpetually cold hands and feet. Never knew there was a name for it!! I wear socks to bed, then wrap my feet in a thick blanket. Not the most comfortable arrangement, but it seems to work. I know it drives husband nuts. It will be 115 degrees here and I'm wrapped in a blanket. Go figure.

Abbey

Calista

I have Reynaulds. Isn't it fun?
:frozen:
I'll never forget the first time my fingers turned bright blue. I was in an HEB so I went to the pharmacist to find out what it was and he had no clue. He was quite alarmed by the bright blue color. Turns out a lady in my spinning class has it and new what was happening. There are actually two types, one that stands alone and one that is a manifestation of something else. Both include the rainbow of color changes.

Sounds to me like you have generally bad circulation. Have your tried taking an asprin or two each day?

DammitJanet

I have the cold hands and feet but they dont change colors so we have ruled out Reynaulds. So far we are assuming it is a symptom of my fibro but docs tend to lump all weird things they cant figure out under fibro.

busywend

Around 10:30 every day my right hand goes cold. No color changes. It is quite frustrating. I usually sit on it. LOL!