Scared.

susiestar

Roll With It
Yesterday was my last day of antibiotics. I have been taking it VERY easy even with my mom and aunt here cleaning. If I am up for very long my leg gets very red where it was infected.

Today I got up and got breakfast and then took a shower. And I noticed that my leg is aching. Not the sharp burning pain I had before but a definite ache if I am up walking on it.

I don't want this infection to get active. I want it DEAD. I don't want more antibiotics to make my stomach upset. But i will take those over this infection any old time.

I DO have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. And I will pressure her to prescribe antibiotics again. At least one more round.

Does anyone know how long a cellulitis infection can stick around?

Thanks for listening to me.

F

flutterbee

I don't know how long it sticks around, but I think it's smart to insist on another round of antibiotics. Can they do a culture or something to see how the infection is responding, if it's gone or not?

Take it easy. I hope you're feeling better soon.

(((hugs)))

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Susie, I'm glad you are taking this slow and conservatively.

Another possible explanation is how quickly muscles atrophy when they aren't being used. Since your leg was already compromised, perhaps it also ached a bit from the extended inactivity.

Take care.

Suz

Wiped Out

Staff member
Susie,
I don't know how long they can last. I'm glad you are going to your doctor tomorrow, if it becomes worse, call sooner. Hugs.

K

Kjs

What about IV antibiotics? I had a horrible infection and after two rounds of antibiotics Dr. prescribed IV antibiotics. They put an IV in the top of my hand. I came in everyday for 3 days for a bag. they just covered the IV in my hand.

I could FEEL my ankle stop pounding after the first treatment. It really, really helped.

Inquire about it. I have actually had that done twice. both times it worked wonders. Once was an infection in my ankle. Hurt so bad and was so infected they almost kept me in the Hospital. (I was on vacation away from home)
Second time was with an on-going sinus infection.

good luck.

M

ML

I'm glad you are taking it ez too. Are you taking the antib's with a picture line? If not maybe you could ask about that. Suz could very well be right about the muscle pain.

Please post as often as you are able to keep us up to date with how you are feeling.

Love you tons xoxox ML

crazymama30

Cellulitis can be stubborn, and if you had a bad infection it can take a couple rounds of antibiotics, especially if your immune system is compromised. I have seen that. My grandfather had cellulitis in his elbow (immune system compromised due to prednisone use) and was hospitalized on IV antibiotics for about 4-5 days, then oral for another 10-14. It took another month for the swelling to go down, and is just now(4-5 months later) almost normal. Now he is 84, on prednisone due to his end stage Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Take care of yourself, and ask about more antibiotics and ask if there is anything else you can do. Not sure if there is, but what does it hurt to ask.

klmno

Susie, I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't completely healed and you arent' over it yet. I'm glad you have an appointment tomorrow- pressure, pressure, pressure!! I hope you are feeling better soon- this has gone on long enough!

TerryJ2

Gosh, I don't know, but I'm glad you have an appointment. tomorrow. I am so sorry that this is dragging on.
{{hugs}}

susiestar

Roll With It
I just got back from the doctor. I LOVE my doctor. She explains things so well and is so understanding.

The Clinical Assistant asked how I was doing, and I said much better. She said I looked better overall.

Then the doctor came in and said WOW, you look much better. I told her I was feeling much better. She appreciated the phone call last week to let her know I was home and much better. Then she asked what medications I was sent home on. She looked at my leg, and listened when I told her it was sore after the antibiotics were done.

She said I am not done with the infection. It may be that what we are seeing is the damage repairing itself, but more likely we are still seeing some signs of infection when it gets red looking.

She gave me a scrip for a stronger dose of amoxicillin, and renewed my 90 day scrips for prozac and estrogen. I discovered last night I can get each of these 3 scrips for $10 at Walmart. $10 for the 90 days! My insurance will charge me a minimum of $20 for them if I go mail order. If I go to a local pharmacy my insurance will now charge me over $30 per MONTH!

So to Walmart I will go, to Walmart I will go, hidey ho the merry oh, to Walmart I will go.

AND, my awsome and amazing doctor went "foraging" in the samples cabinet and got me 10 days of levaquin samples!!!!!!!!! OVer $170 worth of medications, and with my insurance would have been $80! So I made out like a bandit!

Anyway, thanks for all the reassurance. I needed it.

And since we are in a new year, if you don't use many prescriptions, it would be a very good idea to contact the insurance company through the website or by calling to see if your prescription coverage has changed. We went through re-enrollment in October and there was NO info available on any changes in co-pays or medicine costs. And the medications went up quite drastically.

We only found out when we went to the pharmacy with my prescriptions after I got out of the hospital. I have spent several HOURS going through the insurance co website looking up all of our medications to see the prices. I even finally found a copy of the formulary to download.

Susie,

I'm so happy you saw your doctor and she gave you a script for a stronger dose of amox. With an infection as bad as you had, it makes sense that it would take more than one course of antibiotics to clear it up.

I'm glad your doctor gives you samples. Drugs are way too expensive!!! Whenever, one of our doctors is about to write a script, I always ask if he/she has any samples. Even using mail order for our drugs, it gets way too expensive!!!

As always, I'm keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you're totally recovered soon!!! WFEN

TerryJ2

Oh, Susie, how wonderful!
I'm sorry that you're still infected but glad you've got a handle on it.
You have a great dr.
You're on Prozac AND Estrogen? Lucky dog. Anything in the Zoloft/Prozac family gives me headaches, and I can't do estrogen because I've had breast cancer.
Anyway, the best part for you is that you get such a good deal on the medications. Way To Go!!!!!!! I can see you doing a Happy Dance, even with-that painful leg. Way To Go.

B

bran155

I hope you are feeling better soon. Good luck at the doctor tomorrow, let us know how it goes.

Hang in there and keep taking it easy! :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wooo-hoooo! Great report all the way around. Get that new scrip goin' and you are on your way. Your crummy start to the New Year is gettin' a whole lot better. :D

trinityroyal

Susie,
I am so glad that you have a wonderful doctor who LISTENS to you. Sorry you're still infected, but great that you're getting the treatment you need, that Wal-Mart has bargain prices, AND that your doctor gave you those samples.

Sending get-better-soon hugs!

Trinity

susiestar

Roll With It
Thanks all. I was prepared to beg the doctor for another round of antibiotics, just to be SURE this infection is all gone. The levaquin stays in your system for a while after you stop taking it, but I still wanted another round. Everything I have read about this is scary.

and when the doctor said that the amt of time I need to be on antibiotics depends on how much damage was done and there is no real way to tell how much damage, well, I was ready to ask for a month of levaquin!

And the higher dose of amoxicillin is a good thing. The pharmacy is always hesitant to give me amoxicillin because I am allergic to augmentin. But it is the 2nd ingred in augmentin that I am allergic to, I have had amoxicillin many times.

Terry, Prozac is the ONLY antidepressant that works for me. I have been on almost ALL the others with NO positive results, though some make me MORE depressed and anxious. I have taken prozac off and on for over 20 years. I finally connected the dots about 5 years ago and realized that when I want a cigarette what I REALLY need is a prozac. I ONLY want a cigarette when I am depressed. After 3-4 days on prozac, cigarettes go back to their normal gross smell/appearance for me. I think I am very lucky about this - my bro has used skoal or redman since he was 15 or younger, and he also smokes when depressed. But NOTHING helps him with the dependence on nicotine.

As for the estrogen, I had a total hysterectomy at 34. My bones are already in bad shape due to the Vit D problems. I HAVE to have the estrogen according to my endocrinologist. It was just time for a refill and WalMart is FAR cheaper than even my mail order pharmacy owned by my insurance company. And if the price is cheaper at WalMart they won't run the rx through your insurance!

Walgreens and Food Pyramid insist on using your insurance and then going with that price if it is higher than their bargain prices. Even though there is nothing in the ads/medication lists that says you are not eligible if you have insurance.

Anyway, I am not scared now. I am thrilled I actually DROVE today, and I went to my parents with thank you and picked up some stuff.

I even took the 10 minutes to make the face cream for my aunt. I use it on my psoriasis scars and it is doing wonders. She is amazed at what it has done for her wrinkles.

I make face cream by softening shea butter. I put it in a glass dish and set that in a dish of warm (not hot) water. Then I stir and stir until it is almost liquid. I add emu oil and pumpkin seed oil and stir well with a whisk. Then I put it into clean jars (small ones). A very small amount goes a very long way.

Pumpkin seed oil is supposed to be AWESOME for all sorts of skin problems. And I know emu oil is, as is shea butter. The pumpkin seed oil is sort of greenish, so the finished product has a decidedly green/brown tint. But when you apply it you cannot see any color. It is very intense. I LOVE it around my eyes, and on areas that have freshly healed scars from the psoriasis. It really helps them heal so they are not super-noticeable.

At my parents I went through a bunch of clothes, pitching quite a few of htem. And I am stitching something to send to my Aunt's mom - Nanny is having surgery and she just found out about it today. So I want to send something special.

I am just thrilled I can DO these things. Just a week ago I couldn't even come close!!