Sherlock Holmes

witzend

It was really good. I'll qualify that by saying that I have read all of Conan Doyle's stories, plus some of the newer novels that were written about Holmes. I've also seen all of the old Basil Rathbone movies (not very true to the stories) and the Jeremy Brett shows (very true to the stories).

This was most certainly a Holmes for the 21st century, but I felt that in that context the portrayal was true to the character. Watson is more accurately portrayed here than he was in most of the movies with Nigel Bruce. But again he's drawn for the 21st century. Rachel McAdams is miscast as Irene Adler. She's far too young to play the role, and that did distract me. But overall, it's definitely worth the ticket price.

Marguerite

THanks for the review, Witz. husband & I were wondering about the movie ourselves. We're both Sherlock Holmes afficionados ourselves.
The Jeremy Brett series - the first Dr Watson (first series only) was played by my former boss's brother (not Edwrd Hardwicke, but somebody Burke). The eyebrows were a giveaway!

I always got annoyed with any version that portayed Watson as an idiot - he was not. To get it really right, Watson has to be seen as intelligent, jsut not as perceptive as Holmes.

We've been getting audio CDs of various books, including Sherlock Holmes stories by Conan Doyle, and loading them onto the iPod for a while. It's a great way to while away a long car trip - one Conan Doyle short story will take up about an hour or so of a long-distance car trip. Any recalcitrant kids are a captive audience. we've found it has helped hook in the kids into realising that Sherlock Holmes is actually a lot of fun. I especially recommend "The Blue Carbuncle" for Christmas.

RD Jr does play Englishmen really well. I loved him in "Chaplin". Sheer brilliance.

Marg

witzend

And, he has beautiful eyes... ;)

I couldn't agree more about Watson. The man's a doctor and a published author for cripes sake! The actor's name you are thinking of is David Burke. I've seen him lots of other programs. That's what I love about the BBC. Their actors don't get typecast in only one role. They appear on other people's series, as well.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I was hoping this would turn out to be a good one. So many don't live up to the previews. Now I have to find someone else interested to go with me. lol :)

LittleDudesMom

the kids and I had planned to go this week but we heard awful reviews .... guess I need to go back to not listening to reviews and just go see what I want. It's back on the list!

muttmeister

I live in a rural area and it sometimes takes movies awhile to get here but the Sherlock Holmes one is one I'm definitely waiting for. I, too, have read all of the books, and I agree about Watson. And I really thought those old movies with Basil Rathbone were awful. But this sounds great.
I also want to see Nine (it will probably never come here) and It's Complicated (has anybody seen that one?). I have a friend who went to Avatar this weekend. She was not all that impressed but she's old like me so that probably accounts for her reaction.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
H and I saw on Christmas day and we both loved it! I agree that Rachel McAdams was miscast - too young and green. They should have had someone a bit older and saucier, I don't know.

Great movie - I love RD Jr. My brother in law looks like him.

witzend

The fan reviews on fandango.com were excellent for Sherlock Holmes. I tend to trust the fans more than I trust the professional reviewers. If your read through the reviews it's easy to see what type of person is writing it and whether they have similar interests to you.

I also want to see Nine, and Up in the Air. I thought the eyes in "Avatar" look creepily dead and have no interest in seeing it.

Marguerite

H and I saw on Christmas day and we both loved it! I agree that Rachel McAdams was miscast - too young and green. They should have had someone a bit older and saucier, I don't know.

Maybe Helen Mirren? Kylie Minogue? Danni Minogue? Natalie Imbruglia? Helena Bonham Carter?

I reckon those last two especially would have been great choices. Both can act their socks off, especially in complex roles.

Marg

Andy

I took difficult child and the neighbor girl today. So glad they choose this instead of the chipmunk movie that I know they have also been wanting to see.

Anyway, I took notice of the bridge being constructed right away. I just watched a documentary on the top 10 bridges in the world and this was one of them so it was fun to have that reference point.

We all LOVED the movie. 13 yr old difficult child (boy), 16 yr old neighbor girl and myself. You know it is a good movie when it can span those ages and include both genders.

I hope they make more soon. It did end at a good starting of another one.

BusynMember

I never go to movies anymore, but I'm a huge Robert Downey Jr. fan...just adore him...he's so cute :tongue: and a talented...and, as the mother of a reformed addict, I admire how he fell so far (and in the public eye) and pulled himself up, staying clean now for many years.

Hub isn't a movie goer, so I'll go alone if I have to, but I want to see this flick!