Sick of Facebook

BusynMember

I didn't take my account down, but I rarely go to read it anymore. To me it seems like a place to show off...so many "friends" are people we don't even see.

I used to keep up with it to mostly post to Jumper. Sonic doesn't use his much. Bart and Princess have no FB. Hubby checks his,and does post but, hey, I live with him! I can just talk to him when we're both home...lol.

Lately, I mostly communicate with Daughter by texting. She isn't even using FB much.

Anyone else sick of FB? Like it? Neutral about it?

I hear about people using FB to bully one another, even adults. That hasn't happened to me, but it sounds so pathetic...

Have a great day!!!! ;)

pigless in VA

I think it all depends on who you are friends with. Most of the people I know post cute, interesting, funny stuff or pictures of their families. I "unfollowed" the few that I know who are selling things. I dislike how Facebook decides which posts you want to see. Plus, I get irritated by how difficult it is to navigate and post things. For me, there seem to be a lot of glitches, especially when I want to post a picture.

We do have a neighborhood group which is helpful for knowing what is going on around us. Other than that, I am pretty much over it.

Scent of Cedar *

I like Facebook. I have links to baking sites and gardening sites and a science site and a nursing one, too. I like to see what my friends have been having for dinner (and I have one friend who actually posts about dinner), or where they have been or what their pets are up to.

Gaaaa, I sound so shallow.

One of my FB people is a professional photographer. She posts aurora borealis and pictures of ice melt in Spring and beautiful close ups of birds.

This is not her picture, but it is the kind of thing she posts.

e35d68651d5ee8ed7d477eca3a3facc8.jpg

Cedar

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I have mixed feelings about it.

Right now everyone is posting pictures of their graduates - high school and college - and although I'm thankful my older son was on a normal track it reminds me of my younger son and all his struggles and why can't we have a life milestone to post for him and it makes us sad.

I do enjoy a lot of the posts of others and I do unfollow people that post too much or are too political etc. I want it to be fun or why bother.

KTMom91

I like Facebook. A lot. With Miss KT in Oregon and my dad in Idaho and friends scattered all over the country, I enjoy being able to keep up with them. Some of my high school classmates are interesting to watch. Most of them are normal people, but some...well, let's just say they have changed considerably.

AppleCori

Don't have it anymore, as I do not want my X to see or know about anything having to do with myself or my daughter. I do kinda miss it, though.

PonyGirl65

Like it :) I only use it for Good. Can't stand ppl who post memes of the "Fool me once" type, OR the ones who post vague sh!t or rants or anything negative.

I know what you mean about all the Happy Graduates right now. I had one of those myself - well, twice - when PC24 graduated high school, and again 2 years ago when he graduated from U-Dubb with an Engineering degree :)

I understand how it can become overwhelmingly sad, however, when we don't have those Happy Moments to post.

But still. Love it :)

BusynMember

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Cedar, that picture is lovely.

I guess there are just very few people I care to hear about. My family is small...I get it if family and friends are scattered all over. I guess it depends on your circumstances.

donna723

For me, Facebook has been wonderful! We're kind of isolated from other family here but now that we're all on Facebook it's much easier to keep up. It's even helped me locate some cousins that I lost track of decades ago and now we're trading pictures of our grandkids! I can still keep in touch with all the people I worked with but never get to see since I retired. And now I'm back in touch with so many old high school friends, people I thought I'd never hear from again! Yes, there's all the endless political bickering going on right now, but I just scroll right past it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I love it. It enabled me to get in touch with a bunch of people for way back in my past, including my very first boyfriend, who is now a nice woman a couple of years older than I am. She put me in touch with several other folks from the crowd i hung out with in HS.

I also hooked back up with a couple of friends from the Army wife days.

Most importantly, I was able to connect with, and form adult relationships with my mother's brother and his son, from whom my mother is semi-estranged.

I also enjoy the news feed, and a couple of private groups that I belong to.

susiestar

Roll With It
I never liked it. So many people I know use it to show how religious they are, to brag and to try to bully others into buying their koi or joining their religions. I have had no less than 9 people try to convert me to their religion and get angry because I would not buy from their child's church fundraiser and agree their church was best. Only one of these was even within 70 miles of me. Not a single one EVER asked about MY children or offered to buy anything from my children's fundraisers. One got super *issy when I would not send a baptism or birthday gift to each of her kids while at the same time saying she would not send gifts to my kids because my kids were not 'deserving' of gifts the way her kids were.

I have no time for this type of garbage and I never will.

I do occasionally go to fb to look at something my mother posted, if she asks me to.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I like it - to a point.

I belong to several groups, one of which is private, and there's good info to be gotten. I also like the funny memes that are posted. I'm over the political garbage, though.

Nomad

Staff member
I've been conflicted about FB for awhile. I too enjoy seeing photos of family and friends.

But, I see the weirdest behaviors. Lots of narcissism. Big time exaggerations.

One distant relative has started a blog about healthy eating that I find "taxing"....even though it's a topic I usually enjoy. Why? Mostly because he acts like an expert (when he is not) AND he uses it to talk about personal family things and does it in a very "braggy" way. For example ... " Here is a picture of me and my whittle son staying home on Saturday because my little boy is sick. I'm doing this because this is what great father's do." WTH? He actually says stuff like this complete with photo. Gag me with a spoon.

But I have "friended" if that is the right term, healthy living sites, recipe sites, positive living sites and am on some "private" sites related to some of my health concerns...that I usually enjoy and benefit from. Sometimes the latter gets to be a "downer," but that comes with the territory. They are often informative.

I guess one takes the good with the bad. However, I'm trying to limit my use of FB...and avoid posting anything too personal. And I agree with you...the "show off" factor is often annoying.

Nature

Hi,
I have mixed feelings about FB and haven't posted on my page for several months. I use to post photos of my rescue animals (probably boring to most) as I fostered over 300 animals in the last 9 years. I became more active on FB a few years ago when my High School announced a reunion and I reconnected with friends from Elementary as well as High School.
FB has been a great way to connect with various rescue groups too when a hue and cry arises if we all need to band together to rescue some animal in imminent danger. It was also a way to connect with my neighbourhood community association. These days I've backed away from all commitments focusing my energy on my family.
I see a lot of negativity on FB and I always refused to join in political, religious or badmouthing anyone - always tried to say positive things and remain upbeat. Still it tugs at my heartstrings when I see post about other peoples children doing so well - special events - grads, marriages, grandkids...all the things my own will never experience. It became too painful so now I rarely check in.

svengandhi

I have one FB friend and it's my daughter. She posts her musical performances so I get to watch them even if I'm not there. I belong to three groups, two from schools I attended before the age of 13 and the last the camp I went to until age 11. I rarely post on any of the sites, just read. My H, on the other hand, is addicted to FB. He has essentially stopped working (works from home) because he is on FB so much. He has friends from 50 plus years back but very few from our current life. It's one of the things we fight about the most - him being on FB, not that he isn't connected with current friends. Overall, because of H's addiction, I come down against FB.