Simple medical question...

DDD

I've been so healthy that I feel out of the loop with standard care for a mega cold bug. The MD put me on the top dosage of an antibiotic and eyedrops for the conjunctivitis. The sinus's are still full and I'm still coughing (primarily, I'm sure, from the post nasal drip).

My question is simple. Are the antibiotics suppose to take care of the coughing? There was no mention of using a cough syrup or expectorant. Since I am up at 1:30 again due to the hacky little cough I'm wondering
why. ;) Yes, I do have an RN daughter out of state but the question sounds too stupid to call her......LOL. I'm assuming the chest xrays at the hospital didn't show pneumonia as I got no call. on the other hand, maybe they wouldn't call since I'm already of big medications.

Geez, I am NOT a good patient. Like Loth I just want it over! DDD

flutterby

Fly away!
The coughing is a symptom of the illness and once the illness is addressed, the coughing should subside. It sounds like, though, that the antibiotics aren't working. How long have you been on them? If over a week, you might need a different antibiotic.

Also, water is the best expectorant. Drink lots of it.

witzend

Antibiotics won't help the cough. Ask for a prescription cough syrup, and in the meantime, try drinking tea made from thyme with a little honey. It soothes the throat.

DDD

It seems like a year......:sick:.......but I have been sick for exactly one week.
Yesterday morning I got to see the Dr. (that was a wonderful shock) and started the medications yesterday afternoon. He gave a shot to jump start the treatment. I do feel better already but it is this blankin' cough that prevents sustained sleep that is driving me nuts. I'm floating from water and hot tea (but not thyme/honey..so I'll try it). Your answers parrot my thoughts. It's like the chicken and the egg! I'm assuming the antibiotics are suppose to crush the infection which is causing the congestion which is triggering the cough. on the other hand, there used to be something comforting about taking a slug or two of cough syrup! Maybe I do need to send husband out for a bottle of cheap brandy like Suz recommended. It's been at least ten years since I have had an Rx like this so I'm afraid to add any booze to the mix.

Thanks for caring. I feel old and whiney and nervous and and and. It helps
to hear from you guys. DDD

flutterby

Fly away!
If it's keeping you up at night, ask the doctor for a prescription cough syrup to take at night. It won't be an expectorant. It's to quiet the cough so you can sleep.

Or you can try Nyquil. I always feel hungover the next day, though.

Coughing, sneezing, etc is your body's way of getting the infection out.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If it's a cold, antibiotics aren't really going to do you much good. I hate it when docs do that. Only way they'll help is if he was worried about it going into bacterial pneumonia.

Demand the prescription cough syrup. It has codeine in it and will help to supress the cough long enough for you to catch some valuable sleep. Push the water, helps flush the system and thin the mucus a bit.

Sometimes when I'm suffering from horrible post nasal drip due to a cold I'll go ahead and take my allergy medication (zyrtec) which helps to greatly decrease that post nasal drip.

You need your sleep DDD, if your body is exhausted it's much harder to fight the bug off.

Take good care of yourself.

Hugs

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
A shot of brandy (sipped) should not be a problem in combination with an antibiotic. I've done it many times- especially when I was smoking and would get bronchitis every year. I think I read somewhere that the major ingredient in Nyquil is alcohol- brandy is just better tasting and does a better job soothing the throat going down.

Suz

Lothlorien

Mucinex DM (dextromethorphan) might help with the cough. It's an expectorant with a cough suppressant. Did the doctor give you Nasonex or another nasal spray? It's the only thing that actually helps to get rid of the cough with my kids.

husband is still getting over pneumonia. He's got the tussinex (with codeine). It settles him down at night and he can sleep.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I swear by Delsym liquid for wicked coughing. It works like magic. Also Mucinex DM if there is post nasal drip - very helpful in controlling the cough while still loosening up the phlegm.

Water, tea, broths...all very much needed to loosen things up and keep the coughs at bay. Ricola cough drops sit in my nightstand for night time coughing as well.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
DDD--

I'm sorry to hear that you are under the weather and feeling poorly....

If you went to the doctor with cold symptoms AND conjunctivitis.....then yes, he would give you antibiotics to cure the eye infection. He would also give you antibiotics if the cold was progressing to pneumonia or a sinus infection.

For just the cold virus, antibiotics do nothing. It takes about two weeks to get over the cold virus. In the meantime, treat yourself nicely....

Chicken Soup
Soothing tea with-honey
Nyquil (I'm a HUGE fan of Nyquil....although it's not as good now that it no longer contains sudephedrin)
Plenty of rest

Feel better!!

--DaisyF

DDD

Yes, he was afraid it was going to border on pneumonia. I haven't had a call about the chest xrays so I assume there is nothing new. I'm going to cull over your recommendations and "do something".....as soon as I try to nap again. :redface: DDD

DDD

I'm opting for brandy and Musinex DM. The Dr. and I do not know one another and I am positive that talking to his RN wouldn't get me help today. I'll self medicate and see what tomorrow brings. Back to bed. DDD

nvts

DDD, anything with dextromethorophan will allow you to sleep. You can even use the store brand. Every time I get sick it hits my chest (smoker! :tongue:) and I get anything with DM.

Feel better!

Beth