Singulair for Asthma

M

ML

I just heard about a study regarding psychiatric. symtpoms from this medication including depression, suicidal thoughts and insomnia. Manster takes this. Or as of today, he *took* this. I plan to call the doctor tomorrow and advise them that I'm taking him off. I also left message with psychiatrist to consider this in the big picture. One of the symtpoms we've been trying to combat *is* insomnia. I am praying that his immunotherapy pays some dividends soon and we can rely less on allergy medications. Sigh.

tiredmommy

Duckie takes Asmanex and seems to be tolerating it well. by the way, she's allergic to Singulair... she broke out in a rash when taking it for allergies. :hammer:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I've been taking singulair since it came out. Both my daughters have been on it. It has worked well for me in the past, although, I truly believe that it is the Advair that has had the most dramatic effect on me.

Last year, our Dr who had prescribed difficult child Singulair did not do so because of the reports.

My sister claims that she felt more depressed when taking Singulair so she stopped. She also stopped her Advair because she said it made her heart race. Now she's nebulizing 4 times daily and that seems to help her maintain.

I really think that all these medications and our bodies and how they react is a carp shoot. Best of luck

DammitJanet

This type of thing really worries me. Now I am really pro-medication and dont freak out over what is known as big pharma but sometimes the older medications really do work as well as the newer ones and I dont get why they always jump to the newer ones first.

Keyana has suddenly been put on Claritin and Singulair for what I dont know. She doesnt have asthma that I can tell and they dont tell me she has asthma. They also dont send the medications with her on a constant basis...just sometimes. When she is here and seems to have what I consider are symptoms of allergies...stuffy nose, runny nose...I give her benedryl. Works perfectly.

It worries me that she gets put on Singulair in particular because of the warnings when she has the BiPolar (BP) genes.

M

ML

it really is about balancing benefits with side effects. i just realize i may need to remind psychiatrist of the other, "non-psychiatric" medications he's on.

Janet, I agree with you about older medications and actually just had a conversation with psychiatrist about this. She said these new medications have just as many side effects as the older ones and sometimes an older one works better. I'm sorry Keyana has allergies.

house of cards

Monster took Singular for 2 days.Day 1 was fine, day 2 he was doing laps around the couch at bedtime, he would pause and lay a head on my knee he was so tired and then go round again and again.I couldn't get him to calm down until 11 pm.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
difficult child 2 was on Singulair for "asthma" (one breathing incident does not mean asthma - according to his current doctor, he's got allergies). Then about 2 months later he was diagnosed with ADHD and put on Concerta. It did cause major insomnia and the Concerta did not help. In fact now I am wondering if it did cause some of the ADHD symptoms - because they've vanished. (Like the laps around the couch!)

He is now on a maintenance dose of Zyrtec (well, the generic equivalent) - like 10mg - and it's the only thing I've ever seen work for his allergies, plus it doesn't make him sleepy. I am now having more problems with my allergies than he does, and it's always been the other way round.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I read that, too. And ever since I've been wondering if I should take difficult child 1 off it to see if his anxiety improves.

Lothlorien

Missy's had a real terrible bout with asthma/allergies this year. doctor put her back on Singulair, which has helped, but now that you mention this, she has been fairly "off" (for lack of a better word) lately. She's been a bit hypomanic. She's currently having some asthmatic issues, but when this is over, I'm going to d/c the Singulair and see if that makes a difference.

easy child has been taking it too, because his asthma was horrible. I don't see any effects with him, though.

klmno

Coincidence maybe, but difficult child has only had arrest charges in Jan, Feb, or Mar.- 4 years in a row. He has never been arrested any other time. His signs of instability have always been in the Fall and in late winter/early spring. He is typically on allergy medications and sometimes other medications (steroids, albuterol, antibiotics if the allergies aren't controlled before mucous gets in the chest) during those time periods because he had asthmatic wheezing as a child and we (the pediatrician and I) wanted to deal with the allergies to prevent mucous getting into his lungs (bronchitis then wheezing fears). The past year, I have been able to get the peds to discuss and acknowledge a connection. This is another reason for doubt about the BiPolar (BP) diagnosis. difficult child is only "manic" (ok- erratic) at these times of year. The more parents bring this to the attention of the peds, the more chance there is for research in that field, in my humble opinion.

As an example, when my son was an infant, dimettap was still recommended for colds, viruses, etc. I gave it to my son on 3 different occassions and it worked miracles on the illness's symptoms, but he was wheezing the next day all 3 times. Initially, the peds and nurses told me there was no way that dimettap could have a connection, but enough parents reported side effects or reactions to it and now this medication is not allowed to be giiven to babies.

M

ML

Loth I hope Missy's asthma symptoms subside soon.

KLMNO I'm sure it isn't coincidence with difficult child. But how can we *not* treat those symtpoms? *sigh* It is so frustrating.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Today my mom called in a panic about a recent report on adderall, left me a message "oh please tell me he isn't on that medication". I was like "no, but he is on singulair".

It's really nothing new. We've known for a long time that there are side effects to every medication and it's a matter of weighing the benefits. It just gets scary sometimes.

klmno

ML, like with psychiatric medications, I think they all have different effects on different people. The Astelin nasal spray has proven effective for my difficult child for allergies, while not causing mood or sleep issues, if he uses it consistently through allergy season.

I hope you find something that works well with Manster. And soon!

PS- Yes, it is very frightening. When my son was waiting to get transferred to state Department of Juvenile Justice, there was another local boy who was in there for also pulling a knife on his mother. He, just like my son, was 14yo, had a lot of academic potential (excelled in math), had a questionable diagnosis of BiPolar (BP) with intermittent mood/sleep issues- not consistent rapid cycling- AND had been put on Abilify within 1 week of this happening. Some people have great results with abilify and some have horrible experiences. Who knows if this had anything to do with these boys pulling knives out and threatening their mothers.

I am at a point though where I want ALL medications minimized or removed completely, if at all possible. There's just too much that we don't know about long term effects, reactions, etc. Personally, I believe it was the medications my son was given as a baby/very yooung child for asthmatic wheezing that triggered his "mood disorder genes" to begin with.

Last edited: