So how do you go about finding out if a principal has been fired?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have been digging and have found nothing on the principal having been fired from her previous job. Its quite possible the rumor isn't true, but its also quite possible that it is...

So any suggestions on how to find out?

InsaneCdn

As far as I know, "they" (the schools) are required to NOT disclose - privacy laws etc. wrt HR info.

If you know what school(s) the principal was at before, you might be able to get off-the-record confirmation from teachers at that school, if they were around when it happened. But only off the record - because of privacy laws.

Kathy813

Staff member
Privacy laws don't seem to apply to teachers in the state where I live. You can go to a government website and type in a teacher's name and find their certification level, school, and salary for the previous school year.

I don't know of any place where you can find out whether the teacher has ever been fired at a previous job, though. I wouldn't be surprise if there was. You probably just need to keep digging.

~Kathy

susiestar

Roll With It
always try google first. Then if you know the area/school, ask people. The BOE may not be able to tell you, but the teachers/parents at the school don't have that problem.

The state education dept website is also good. I do think you can check certification in most states, and sometimes being fired affects that, so be sure to check that anyway.

Then? Ask your lawyer to find out.

DammitJanet

Check schools where said person used to work then look for parents that had kids there. I would bet that the parents know more than the websites will be able to tell you. Or if you can get a teacher that is talkative that would be very good.

It's hard to fire a principal, unless the have completely messed up the entire job, even then, it's not documented correctly. Then the principal goes to court and gets the job back. Usually, they keep the bad principal anyway, but this happens first: The principal is moved from school to school within the district, see if that hapened, that's a good indicator they were horrid.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
UAN is right... The principal of the elem. where Jett went, who told us he could not enforce the court's orders re biomom giving Jett medications with-o husband's knowledge or consent... Shortly after we complained to the school board... Was moved to principal at one of the middle schools... And not too long after that (another student had a problem)... into some admin job at the school board (!!!), now he's superintendent. And terrified of our last name.

InsaneCdn

The only way they get rid of a principal is... sexual abuse of a minor. THAT one, even a whiff of, they are GONE. Otherwise... principals own the world.

buddy

Privacy laws don't seem to apply to teachers in the state where I live. You can go to a government website and type in a teacher's name and find their certification level, school, and salary for the previous school year.

I don't know of any place where you can find out whether the teacher has ever been fired at a previous job, though. I wouldn't be surprise if there was. You probably just need to keep digging.

~Kathy

But hr records are closed. Many teachers stay licensed but that does not mean they work... for now I am not paying for mine... doesn't mean I was fired. I just didn't send the money in since I am a stay at home mom right now....

JJJ

It should be listed in the minutes of the BoE meetings from the old district. It won't have details but should say either "accepted the resignation of..." or "terminated the contract of...". You may need to do a FOIA request if the minutes aren't posted on their website. Maybe check out www.topix.com for the town, there may be old gossip on there that will lead you to some more reliable info.

klmno

I used to google the name and then check the website of the school to see who the listed prinvipal was. It didn't tell me whether or not she was fired but it told me she was no longer principal at that school.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
She's principal here now, and she has a following much like Charles Manson...let's just say that I saw a post on FB regarding the atmosphere of the school since she arrived and it likened it to a prison. Followed by almost replies from nearly 40 different people agreeing. There are only 300 kids in that building...

The rumor is that the district she came from brought her in to "clean up" some poor teachers, but that once that was done, she was scooted on out the door for her over the top strict policies I'll never know the reason she was brought in - that couldn't be confirmed - but it might be possible to find out if she left voluntarily or not.

There's a bit of networking beginning here. We'll see where it goes. I'm putting my name and number out. People are very afraid of retaliation in a small town, and rightfully so, but I'm hopeful at least a few will step forward.

Interestingly, one lady I recently talked to takes her son to a therapist who told her that every so often, he sees a "plague"; he sees a quantitiy of kids that have a common problem. This doctor told her he sees a "plague" in this elementary school. And she's only been there 6 months! Unfortunately, the lady I was talking to does not know any other children from the building that see this doctor, but I did ask her to give him my name and number and feel free to hand it out to those people if they wish. I don't expect much, but we'll see.

witzend

I know. The ice gets thin where I'm heading.

Indeed. She has a Union Lawyer, and the School District has an entire phalanx of them.

When M was in 6th grade he went into a special school program where they were supposed to have a teacher follow them through all classes through 8th grade. His left the school after the first year. In 7th grade his new teacher actually started a physical altercation with a student on the playground. She was "suspended", and they had substitute teachers that changed daily for two months! The kids were acting out, they'd lie to the teachers about who they were, it was awful. Sometimes there were two teachers a day. I finally called the VP at the school and told him that this had to stop now. We didn't care what happened with the original teacher, we had moved on from that but our kids deserved a permanent teacher. He told me who in the school district was his boss, because he would be the one that could replace a teacher, but only with direction from the district. He suggested I make my plea there. I did so in a very short and calm conversation. I was frank about not needing to rehash what happened with the old teacher and the need to move on. The class got a permanent teacher the next Monday.

If I were you, I'd call each and every school in the district (having first blocked my number from caller id) and ask for the principal by name. If they say "She doesn't work here" apologize for calling the wrong number. If they say "May I ask who is calling?" I'd give a false name and wait for them to put me through. If she's there, she'll pick up the phone and you'll know. I'd do the same thing with the main operator number at the district offices. Disguise your voice if you think you need to.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They have already brought the attorney in. in fact I would not be against him coming to every single IEP meeting from here on out. I don't know what his background is but he knows his stuff. what does it say about the schools team that the district attorney comes in and the kids finally gets the services he has been needing for years?