So....what is for dinner tonight?

B

butterflydreams

We had homemade chicken and dumplings. I had roasted a chicken Saturday, and yesterday morning I boiled the bones. There wasn't enough broth, so I added some Swanson's. I had it all done except adding the chicken and the dumplings when it was time to get dinner ready. It was so yummy. There is enough left for another meal.

I like the idea of a menu, I really should do that. I get tired of the "what's for dinner game?" A tough thing for me is, difficult child is so finicky when it comes to eating.

SRL

I don't make up menus in advance. I use a combination of advance planning for a few days of the week, cooking up what's on sale, and winging it.

My favorite recipe website this past year has been recipezaar. I love it for the variety as well as for the reviews, which really help give a better idea of what you're going to get and what adaptations work well. I hate wasting time and effort so it's been a big help.

http://www.recipezaar.com/

I've been looking over this list of their top rated recipes from last year (below), figuring there must be some good stuff to have that much action. I've got a pot of the Chicken Tortilla Soup on the stove now to use up some pre-cooked chicken I have.
http://www.recipezaar.com/sitenews/post.php?pid=998

Mayapple5

When I do my monthly menus I usually only have about three differen't months I use and keep rotating. I use Kraft recipe magazine and Quick Cooking magazine for any new ideas they are great when it comes to desserts especially. But main menu ideas are usually repeats every three months. difficult child 2 is a picky eater and I have to watch sugar and gluten with her so to have a menu really helps. I know what nights are meeting nights or church nights and it works out really great to plan ahead (when I do).

I'm glad I found this today, it has encouraged me to get back to doing this. I just tape the three on the inside of my cupboard door and rotate them and make my shopping list (a print-out by isle in the store) on the computer and check off what I need.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My favorite recipe website this past year has been recipezaar. I love it for the variety as well as for the reviews, which really help give a better idea of what you're going to get and what adaptations work well. I hate wasting time and effort so it's been a big help.

http://www.recipezaar.com/

I love recipezaar!!! I can't count how many excellent recipes I've gotten from that site.

eekysign

Tonight is cheesy chicken and rice. Put 2 cans cheddar soup, 1 can crm celery or crm chicken, add 3 cans water, and 2 cups rice. Stir. Put 5 or so chicken breasts in mixture (I just throw them in frozen) and cook. This makes enough for my family of 4 and my mom and grandfather. We will have frozen mixed vegies with it. If they whine I might torture them.

Sounds tasty. Are we crockpotting here or baking/stovetopping?

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm ashamed to say that not eating for the last day and a half I ordered Dominos Philly Cheese pizza. It was GOOD, but I could have probably eaten dog food and it would have been good.

Abbey

klmno

Pizza's not bad sometimes!

I just got back from paying bills and grocery shopping- so now it's a toss-up which comes first:

Stuffed fish, pasta with- sundried tomato sauce, fresh spinach lightly cooked in olive oil

or

Chicken and vegies (orange bell pepper, red onion, baby portabellos) on the grill and salad.

Hopefully I can bring myself to dig into taxes afterwards.

Last edited:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Ah, the joys of empty nest.

I love to cook on Sunday afternoons. Yesterday I made white chicken chili from scratch, had some for dinner, then froze individual servings.

Tonight I had a bag of frozen broccoli florets.

:rofl:

Suz

DDD

Suz, you invited me to come visit you and THAT'S dinner??????? :redface: No wonder you are still slim as a sweet young thing and I look like a Grandma! ;) DDD

PS: We had tacos with spanish rice, olives, tomatoes, lettuce, fat free sour cream, salsa and sauteed onions and peppers. Yum!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Forget coming here, D3- I'm headed to your place!

Seriously......I just hate to cook for one person......but I'd love to cook for you! :flower:

Suz

Lothlorien

I am making a roasted chicken tonight. I just hope I can figure out the timed bake thing on my new oven and hope like heck that I don't overcook the darn thing while I'm at soccer and karate!

DDD

The deli had packages of sausage discounted yesterday so I picked up a pack of "apple sausage" which I browned this morning. I placed them on a bed of sliced fresh apples and baked them. We had sweet potatoes baked in their
skin which is a family easy favorite and sliced fresh squash/onions steamed.
Fresh sliced strawberries with fat reduced Redi Whip rounded it out. YUM! DDD

KTMom91

Miss KT and I are ordering pizza tonight. Hubby is going to tech rehearsal for Easter services, so we decided we didn't feel like cooking anything.

Wiped Out

Staff member
SRL,
Invite me when you make that chicken-YUM! We had difficult child's wrestling banquet tonight and so it was Pizza-and only so so but a mom who used to do catering was there and she baked two delicious cakes-YUM!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Last night was Shrimp Scampi with roasted asparagus and brown rice pilaf.

Tonight is a lite pasta dish with calamata olives, capers, fresh diced tomatos with balsamic vinegar and italian spices served over penne pasta with salad and bread.

Marguerite

On the subject of planning ahead vs winging it at the last minute - we buy our meat in bulk where possible, it's farcheaper. We ordered a side of lamb a few months ago, we've been eating our way through it and also making room in the freezer. I dug out a bundle of off-cuts, the bones, scraps of meat (mostly fat) etc from the shoulder they boned out for me. I thawed it all out, roasted it all yesterday and then from the amount of lamb fat it produced, I roasted some vegetables for lunch. They tasted wonderful but were too greasy for me. husband was exclaiming in delight over the roasted butternut pumpkin especially. I did have a piece - it was crisp-crunchy on the outside, creamy inside.

Meanwhile I put the now-roasted bones & scraps into a pot with some chopped carrot and half an onion, to make lamb stock. I let it simmer for a couple of hours then let it cool. I picked out all the fat (stored it separately, husband can use it as cutting oil in the workshed), removed and reserved the lean meat from the bones, threw out the stewed vegetable and reserved the stock in the fridge.

This morning I topped up the bottle with the rest of the fat from the chilled stock (it set like Turkish Delight, there was so much gelatine in it) and put the lump of stock in a pot with the reserved meat, some more chopped carrot, some waxy potato and some frozen peas. I let it simmer for an hour or so, husband had it for dinner and now feels spoiled.

While that was cooking I got busy with a chicken dish. We'd picked up some chicken thighs last night and I wanted to do something tasty, so I finally settled on my own version of coq au vin, which I call "chook in a truck". I used white wine instead of red, plenty of fried bacon, some leftover mushrooms rapidly drying into wrinkled old age and an abundance of flamed brandy poured over the browned chicken. I overdid the brandy a bit, there's a big difference between flaming half a cup, and flaming a couple of tablespoonsful. However, the kitchen is still standing... but after simmering the dish for a few hours a lot of fat has come out of the meat so it's in the fridge waiting for the fat to set so I can 'clean it up' for dinner tomorrow night. I did have a piece of the meat tonight, after I mopped up some of the fat and removed the skin. It tasted good. However, for the recipe proper, we'll have to wait until tomorrow night. I knew I'd be busy for a few days so I have meals planned ahead.

I worked around the meat I had and used whatever other ingredients I had to hand, including what fresh herbs I have growing outside. When a recipe calls for bouquet garni, I adapt it depending on the time of year and what is available. When the herbs are dying back for winter, I will sometimes use dead stalks from tarragon, for example, because in a bouquet garni the look doesn't matter, the flavour can still be extracted from a dead stick. Fresh basil gives up its flavour too readily and shouldn't be added to cooking except at the last minute, but a few dead tarragon stalks added earlier will give a similar taste. I ALWAYS have fresh bay, so I use it fresh instead of dried. Got to be careful to not overdose, though.

Enjoy your dinner!

Marg

Last edited: