Son poss being sent to Alternative School

Mandy

Parent In Training
Little Bears school contacted me last week to let me know they had notified an alternative placement, just in case, because of Little Bears continuing aggressive behavior. He is actually MUCH better than he used to be but continues to have occasional issues at school.

He was officially diagnosis last month with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified as well as his Mood disorder, which explains A LOT!

They said the purpose is to eventually return him back to his school. I just have a few questions if anyone can help!

Has anyone had any luck when their child gets transferred to an alternative placement?
What happens if he doesnt do well in this placement?
How long are they usually placed for? (average)

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

jal

Hi Mandy,

My son was placed in an alternative placement at the beginning of first grade. He is now in second grade and still there (he's 7), but has begun transitioning into mainstream classes, recess and lunch. It has been very good for him for the most part. His placement is in a wing of a mainstream school, so once he began to prove he could be safe in class they transitioned him to having some classes with the mainstream kids, which he is doing very well at. It was a heart breaking decision to send him, but it has been for the best. His reading blossomed shortly after he begun and we've found he's somewhat gifted in math. He receives group and individual therapy. He gets Occupational Therapist (OT) and they are currently doing a speech evaluation. We have had him tested for everything under the sun and he is currently ADHD/combined type, Mood not otherwise specified. He does not respond to stims and we have been at this since he was about 3.

husband and I for the most part have been very please with the structure of the class and the interaction from staff. Luckily, our whole process has been very pleasant and stress free. difficult child also gets ESY (extended school year) which gives him an extra 5 weeks in the classroom during the summertime.

If you have specific questions and want to, please feel free to PM me. Never thought I'd have to be there (alternative placement), but it has been good.

Fran

Former desparate mom
The key question is what is the alternative program set up for?
Is it behavior issues or is it for children with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)? You don't want your son to
be with kids who are naughty or have behavior issues. Our kids end up being picked on.

If the program is a good fit for your son to grow, flourish and have time to fix the things that aren't working
then I'm all for it. I was a mom who, once she realized difficult child couldn't manage in a mainstream class, preferred
difficult child being in alternative classes.

Look at your child and ask yourself "what does he need" Don't worry about the labels or your own ideas of what and
where he should be. I found it a bitter pill to swallow but once I got over it, I was free to pursue every alternative our educational
system had to offer.

Good luck and hugs. It's a tough row to hoe as they say.

smallworld

You have received excellent advice thus far.

I would also add that you and your husband should vist in person any placement before you decide to send your difficult child there. Make sure you feel comfortable with the way the teachers and staff handle the kids and that all interactions are respectful. Make sure you can see your difficult child fitting in well there. My son was in an alternative placement last year, and while my husband and I had no problem at all with him being in one (he needed to be), the peer group was absolutely the wrong one and he was very lonely all year. It's definitely something to consider.

Hang in there and let us know how it goes.

Mandy

Parent In Training
Thanks for all your responses!

jal~ your post made me feel better knowing you had a positive experience!

From what I know the Alternative Placement is a seperate school offered through the County Special Education Services so I am assuming that only Special Education students are placed there. His Special Education teacher says she has had good outcomes in the past when children return to school.

My fears are that he will never get to return to reg. school and he does not handle change well!

I am up for doing whatever we can to get him to his full potential, I am just weighing all the options!!

Thanks again!!!