Speaking of food....

AppleCori

Are you a breakfast purist?

Do you only eat breakfast foods before 10:30 am?

Is this a personality thing, or just the way you were raised?

My hubby wouldn’t think of eating non-breakfast items for the first meal of the day.

Me, I can go either way.

How about you?

Lil

Definitely a purest.

Sure, I've been known to grab a slice of pizza in the morning - but what is pizza besides bread and breakfast meats? It's an eggless, open-faced sausage and cheese sandwich. ;) But truthfully, I'd prefer a breakfast pizza.

But to me breakfast should be breakfast. We were raised that way...we ate eggs and bacon and pancakes and such for breakfast. Jabber is the weekend breakfast chef now, usually.

In fact, I'd have to say that I'd vastly prefer my first meal of the day to ALWAYS be breakfast food...even if I sleep until noon!

AppleCori

We don't eat breakfast, except for me maybe a cup of yogurt at any time. Coffee is the first thing I grab in the morning. Hub too.

Hubby is that way too, on workdays.

He often goes all day long with just coffee.

I try to get him to eat a little something in the morning, but often he is just too focused on his upcoming day to eat anything.

On weekends, he likes a big, late morning breakfast, though. Traditional breakfast food.

KTMom91

I like breakfast foods much better if someone else cooks them for me. Hubby requires meat for breakfast, and eggs, but I usually have cereal or a bagel unless we go out for breakfast.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I like mostly breakfast food but once in a while I'll eat something crazy. My husband will eat ANY type of food for breakfast.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I'll eat anything. I learned from my parents travels and some of my own that the typical American breakfast is just that. What we eat for breakfast is not on the menu in many other countries.
After my mom and dad got back from their trip to New Zealand, my mom prepared a breakfast they had there, mushrooms on toast.
When I was in Italy there were sandwiches and salad at one breakfast place we ate.
My husband loves it when I make biscuits and gravy for dinner.:)

:morecrackers::picnic::spaghetti:

pasajes4

I love breakfast foods any time of the day. I will eat non breakfast foods sometimes. I have to eat breakfast before 7 a.m. years of conditioning.

Lil

We don't eat breakfast, except for me maybe a cup of yogurt at any time. Coffee is the first thing I grab in the morning. Hub too.

Coffee is not breakfast. Coffee is life. Not necessarily for me, but for the people I come in contact with before I've had breakfast.
:coffeeBreak:

When I was in Italy there were sandwiches and salad at one breakfast place we ate.

In Italy Jabber and I got bread/croissants/rolls of some sort. Breads and pastries count as breakfast food. ;)

And of course, coffee.

Tanya M

Staff member
Oh how I miss coffee!!! I had to give it up due to acid reflux - now I have a cup of bone broth in the morning. :mornincoffee:

Tanya M

Staff member
One of my favorite things to eat for breakfast is bacon pancakes! The sweet, salty crunchiness of it!
Just might have to make that for dinner. :tongue:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Because my husband was deployed so often while we lived in Germany, I got into the habit of eating a "German Breakfast", rolls, cold cuts and cheese, with fruit and such on the side. If I was at home, it was washed down with a mug of tea. If I was out, I usually had fizzy mineral water, as the norm was coffee, and German coffee is even worse than American coffee.

I need protein when I wake up, over so many years of living semi-single, or single, I have gotten into the habit of eating what suits my fancy at whatever meal suits me. Breakfast is usually some osrt of protein, some sort of whole grain, and a small amount of fruit. I sometimes eat leftovers for breakfast. If I'm going to do the bacon and eggs thing, I prefer to do it for dinner for some odd reason, possibly because I worked overnights for so many years, that I usually got off work around breakfast time.

Today's breakfast was smoked trout, a bit of cheese, a pear, and mixed whole grain toast. I got hungryish a couple of hours later and had a bit more trout and another slice of toast. Dinner will be a chicken breast with asian vegetables (You can now get them pre-cut in handy bag) and red rice. At some point after that, I'm going to kill off the small amount of salted caramel gelato that is in the freezer.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I am not a morning person and coffee is my Vitamin M to get my morning rolling. I will eat anything quick and convenient in the morning. My husband must sit for his breakfast and it is a ritual for him. I sleep until the last possible moment and will grab anything from cheese to a yogurt or cold meat. Fast and furious.

On the weekend if we get a sleep in it’s cappuccino and a full English breakfast for the husband. Fried eggs, potatoes, sausage, tomatoes, beans and toast. I settle for the egg with some beans and toast. I love to add champagne and orange juice for holiday late breakfasts. I prefer waffles and berries over the full English lot.

I remember when we were young and traveling in Germany. We were in Heidelburg. We were out very late and had fare bit to drink. We thought we would skip breakfast and sleep in. Not a chance. The lodge owner rapped at our door. Forced some good German bread meat cheese and coffee at us. As pleased as punch she sent us out for a walk. Fresh air to clear the cob Webb’s. We laughed all the way to the village square. We snuck back and had a nice long nap later. German coffee is terrible.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I stayed in a lot of "gaesthausen" while in Germany, and yes, the rap at the door with breakfast and a Kaennchen of coffee thick as mud at some ungodly hour...yep...the walk part was fine, but the coffee, especially for a non-coffee drinker, was horrid. Even husband, who lived on caffeine, wasn't that fond of it. And if it was a really family-style gaesthaus, the housemother who did the cooking would fuss at me for eating seconds on the salad, and not eating up the huge, half kilo or more slab of schnitzel I was presented with for late lunch, as they were concerned that that meant I didn't like the food.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Different strokes. :) I really cannot fathom having some kind of fish being the first solid food in my stomach for the day.
That's a cultural thing. Our big treat on Sunday, when we could afford it, was a "lox box". Cold smoked raw salmon, cream cheese, onions, various types of fresh bagels, etc. Also smoked herring, etc. I'll eat fish, especially preserved fish about anytime you point me at it. In my culture, it started out as poor peoples' food, and now has become a luxury item, same as many of the preserved meats.

So, for me, preserved fish is a perfectly reasonable thing to eat for breakfast, a luxury, even as most of it is so expensive nowadays.

I love the preserved meats as well, but eat them very rarely as they aren't very good for you, and it is hard to find them properly made (i.e. by a Eastern European Jewish butcher). The versions sold by regular delis are just...wrong in so many ways.

AppleCori

I could see myself trying fish for breakfast.

My problem is, I don’t really care for a lot of breakfast foods.

I can’t stand anything sweet first thing in the morning, so I don’t eat donuts, pancakes, sweet rolls, or anything like that.

I don’t really care for bacon or sausage, hash browns, breakfast burritos, or eggs (except boiled). I can eat a breakfast casserole occasionally, or biscuits and gravy once in a blue moon.

I only really like peanut butter toast, yogurt, and oatmeal with fruit in it.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I moderate egg use but love eggs and could eat eggs for any meal. Definitely do not worry about what to eat at certain times of day.
I remember when we were young and every now and then my mom would say it’s Breakfast for supper tonight. Eggs, bacon, pancakes or toast, and OJ. We thought this was so decadent. I still like scrambled eggs for supper sometimes.
My mom would later say she did this when she was so busy she had forgotten to thaw anything for supper. Little mistakes that bring such joy.
With 10 kids it’s amazing that’s all she forgot.