Squatter in my cousin's apt is evil

TerryJ2

Wow. This is getting worse.

C, the woman staying in P's NY apt, is telling people that the mgnt will have to take her to court and that by law, she can stay for 6 mo's. I cannot imagine why NY law would allow that.

In retrospect, things are becoming more clear to me. For example, many mo's ago, she called me at 11:00 one night, panicked because she locked herself out. I told her to sleep in the hallway and get another key from the superintendent. She said no, she wanted to drill out the lock and asked if that was okay. I said I didn't know, but where would she find someone that late at night?
Well, she did, and now that all is said and done, it turns out that no one, not P, not the superintendent, has a key to that apt.

I think this woman is in a network of squatters. I can't believe I've been taken for a ride like this.

The mgr agreed to buy us out for $XXX but wants to charge $500/day for anyone living there past the first. That would eat up the entire buyout! (He said he could give it 30 days.)
I'm ready to fly up and drill out the lock again myself.

I was with P twice today, as the movers came in and dropped off 3 pcs of furniture, then later, after the rest had been placed in my garage, and sat with-P for a long time, commiserating on her circumstance. She was crying and shaking and said she didn't realize this was going to happen. I reminded her that I had called to say that the movers were on their way to bring her furniture, and she said, "Yes, some furniture, but not the entire apt!"

I left and wasn't home 10 min. when she called and ranted some more--"A friend called from NY and said she was sorry to hear that I was closing the apt. She said 'I'm not closing the apt, I would never give it up!' So she ranted and raved to me on the phone all over again.

I said, "I'm so sorry. All I can say is that I'm the bad guy. You are running out of money and need health care."
No resolution. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I even entertained the idea of putting P on a plane for NY and showing up at her own door, and having her yackyackyack at C while I find a locksmith to drill out the lock. It's not the 1st of the mo yet ...

Last edited:

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think you need to fly up, find a locksmith that will meet you there - tell C that her things will be out at XX time - and be done with her. I highly doubt she has the funds for an atty. she doesn't have the money for an apartment. This is BS. and C is taking advantage of AN ELDERLY LADY WHO NEEDS HEALTH CARE ---not you.

Shame on her. This money isn't going into YOUR pocket - it's going to take care of P. I wouldn't call anyone - I'd go, I'd empty - I'd change the lock, I'd hand the landlord the key, and I'd block her number.

H

HaoZi

I'm with Star. Drill the lock, put her stuff in the hallway, and wash your hands of it.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Terry--

"Squatters" and broke homeowners/renters can and do fool around and stay in apartments for up to the six months it can take to legally evict them...

This is where "cash for keys" comes in: The landlord/homeowner/realtor will offer the "tenant" (and yes, we are using that term loosley) CASH for their KEYS....but it is a limited-time offer. So you could tell C that you will give her $x to have herself out of there by the end of the week. If she refuses? Start playing games... Ya know - like accidentally shut off her hot water. or - accidentally blow her fuses every night at 9 pm...

H

HaoZi

Question: Is the superintendent within his rights to drill the lock and make the apartment inaccessible where she can't have them re-drilled? Since there is no written lease or sublet in her name, could she be tossed out by police as a squatter?

Star*

call 911........call 911
The cash for keys is a great idea -

But I'd offer it to the landlord. Let him deal with her.

Mattsmom277

I'd plead ignorance and I'd do as suggested. I'd have a locksmith remove this lock and replace with another, as well as attach a temporary padlock. I'd remove all of her property to the hallway with an agreement with landlord to allow it to remain for a week for this kook to pick up at which time anything remaining is picked up by pre-arranged Goodwill pick up. I'd leave a note and I'd be very smart about how I'd word it. Something like " C - My cousin P enjoyed having you visit (use visit, not LIVE). We tried to arrange with you to make sure you hadn't left any belongings behind that you stored here during your visit but since you haven't made yourself available, the apartment sale is complete and a new owner is now in charge. The new owner has kindly offered to allow your stored things in the hallway for you to pick up. A donation pick up truck will come by on (insert date) to pick up anything you no longer want that remains in the hallway. P is thankfully now able to fund her health care needs due to the sale. She and I wish you well". Then, IF she tracks down some low cost or pro bono anti-poverty lawyer or something, I'd stick to one story. C was indeed VISITING at one point at P's apartment. P moved out long ago and somehow C extended her visit. Was not paying rent and had no permission to live there. P is a vulnerable elder with health care costs and was in her right to sell that apartment and under no view can it be deemed C was a tenant. She simply visited. And visited. And visited. And if the word squatter comes up? Huh? What's a squatter again? Oh, C wasn't "squatting", she wasn't LIVING there. She visited. She had belongings there, you did right to try to have her pick them up and even were kind enough along with the sale of the unit to also ensure her belongings were given an extra week for pick up. Trust me, this woman would have no case even if she did find a lawyer. If she is IN the unit when it is time to change locks, call police. Never use word squatter. The only term should be "visitor who is refusing to leave and illegally has a key that she had made". Charges? Your cousin is to ill to attend court re: illegal entry and destruction of property charges (for lock change). Kindly officers just remove her from the premises with a stern warning about the seriousness of breaking and entering!.

She can't possibly have a lawyer to give her squatters rights in the time that you arrive and change lock and insert padlock. Pack her stuff quickly, attach padlock and the note, along with a second letter stating that P is no longer the owner of this apartment. Any entry into the apartment by anyone not cleared by new owner will constitute criminal break and entry charges. Sounds like C is a person who will push all she can to get away with this, but truly I think her bluster is just that regarding staying and pushing further IF she is confronted with a scenario like I described. Dont' feel a wit of guilt about where she'll spend that night either. She knew this was coming and likely has done this before and would do it again. I'd finish up with the apartment and be done with it. What a nightmare though!

TerryJ2

Don't know about Eldercare. I shall leave no stone unturned. :)

Meanwhile, I turned off the power but it won't end the billing cycle and electric until May 11.
For an extra $26, I had the power physically cut off on the 1st.
The very nice man told me that they usually keep the power on for a smooth transition. I explained the situation and he said, "Oh, my."

H

HaoZi

Hope you made sure the power company won't let it be turned back on unless it's the Super.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Personally? I wouldn't put ANYTHING in writing to this woman. Phone records alone are leaving a 'papertrail' that show she's been there for xx months. That alone may or may not establish residency.

Call the landlord, ask him for the name of the locksmith. Tell him you've told this nut she has until the first (which you have I'm sure) Your Aunties things have been removed - this is a done deal. On the first - he comes in with the locksmith, her things are OUT - and after that it's not anyones problem but hers. Then detach. If she calls your Aunt? I would imagine there isn't much SHE can do about it. You did what YOU did FOR your Aunt's well being, and future, not in SPITE of this woman.

I would make one last phone call to nut, and one phone call to the landlord. I would stick to the facts with them both. I wouldn't engage nut in banter, or extensions or anything other than - I have something to tell you and I need you to listen very carefully - I'm not going to repeat myself, and I'm not going to negotiate. This call is also being recorded.

The apartment has been sold.
You are to be out by the first. May 1st, 2011
The locks are being changed.
Do NOT call or harrass my Aunt I'm in charge of her affairs, and if you persist in upsetting her I'll serve you with an order of protection.
This arrangement is final.

You have NINE days to find lodging - Good Day.
Click.

And that's how you are direct, to the point - with the EVIL person.

As for the landlord?

Hello?
I have called the evil one -
I have told her (the above)
She has been given notice as a visitor (love that part Matts Mom) to get out.
If on the first she is not out? Please call Locksmith of your choice -
Please remove the Evil ones items from the apartment.
The utilities will be off (give date)
Consider this apartment vacant and our transaction complete.
May 1st The apartment will be yours.

Something like that?

I dunno - Terry - HEY .....maybe you can offer to paint a mural on one wall and get back some money????? (cool huh?)

TerryJ2

Turns out that the landlord is the New Evil One.
Oh, I always knew he was a mean one, but he switches sides and pretends he doesn't know what's going on.
I called to tell him about the power and offer my help with-anything else I could do, and he blew a gasket and yelled that he will not let ConEdison into the blding to do anything.
OMG, this is SO stupid.

H

HaoZi

Just what you needed in addition to an over-staying difficult child visitor is a difficult child super. I'd be considering going into the fusebox, removing all the fuses, and taking them with me. Or getting someone who knows fuseboxes far better than me to do it. :S

Star*

call 911........call 911
WOW -

so the building is NOT up to code......and now he's freakin?

Well then, take opportunity of THIS little situation and tell him -

Fine - here's the deal "Dr. Evil"...you have until XX day to get "MiniME" out of the apartment, lock, stock, and barrel- change the lock - and in the mean time? I'll call ConEd - The only other idea I have is to ALLOW Con ED to come in - and then deal with Minime - Kapish Paisan?

Now you have the Ace up your sleeve as it were.

This makes lazy boy -
Move a little faster to get Mini Me OUT - because originally he was going to be a little Greeeeeeeeeedy with you. NOW if he doesn't play your hand? You call ConEd - and they start snooping around and shut his ENTIRE building down.

BEAUTIFUL - CALL HIM - And tell him to CHOP CHOP - he's only got 5 days.

(Of course I'm only guessing, but once Con-Ed comes in and shuts down a building then the FIRE marshall gets called, and BUILDING CODE violations get called, and BUILDING inspectors get called, people get sued----it's quite a mess)

Just a guess.

TerryJ2

So, on the first of May, the power is turned off. (The mgr talked to the super and got it straight.)
Court is on the 6th. She'll probably be out by the 6 of June.
Fingers crossed.