Strep Throat Question

SRL

Can strep throat produce sore throat and tonsil on only one side?

I went to the dysfunctional doctor's office yesterday and had an xray, pulmonary function test and blood work. Came home with a mess of medication including some for a condition I'm not even sure I have (reflux) but will be checking out. Today my throat is so swollen I can barely swallow, but only on my left side.

F

flutterbee

Did they do a throat swab for strep? A viral infection can cause a severely sore throat, too. The worst sore throat I've ever had was viral and not strep. It hurt so bad I couldn't stand to swallow or talk.

SRL

No they didn't do a swab. I had a bad cold with asthma flareup all last week and went in because I was having what I thought were asthma symptoms still. Dr. didn't think it was asthma (hence the reflux suggestion). Heck, she even doubted whether I had a cold at all so she sure wasn't going to offer a strep test.

I got the other medication down. This stuff will give you swallow phobia in a hurry.

smallworld

SRL, I'd head back to the doctor tomorrow for a throat culture, which as you well know, is the ONLY way to distinguish viral from strep throat. My recollection from my own kids is that strep can be one-sided, especially if it affects the tonsil on the sore side.

by the way, as someone who's had chronic severe reflux since I was a teenager, I can tell you that reflux doesn't cause that type of throat pain. It can cause burning and hoarseness, but not true sore throat pain.

Hope you figure out tomorrow what's going on. Feel better!

jamrobmic

Strep has been going around our office, and lucky me got to have it twice (or it never went away the first time, I'm not sure which). At the beginning, my entire throat hurt, but after a few days, it did hurt mostly on the left side, almost like there was a raw place in my throat on that side. My co-worker ended up getting it as well, and she said the same thing. We both also had pretty high fevers and body aches. by the way, the second time I went to the dr., the strep test was negative, but it turned out I did have it again. I hope you feel better soon, whatever you have-having a sore throat is miserable.

SRL

Thanks.

Smallworld, when she mentioned reflux I thought it sounded ridiculous but then I did some reading and actually think there might be something to it. That last night I was up with what I thought was asthma didn't feel like it normally does, although I still had chest gunk from the cold. I've not gone to easy on the Diet Dr. Pepper in the last months and that sure couldn't have helped matters anyway.

Dr. sent me home with Zithromax which I didn't take yesterday thinking I didn't want to take it if there wasn't any reason to do so. I'm sure sorry today because it's a heck of a lot harder to get down--everything but liquid gives me that stuck feeling.

I even went for the children's orange Motrin. Vile tasting stuff...

smallworld

Unless it's dosed differently (as in higher) from how it's prescribed to treat a bronchial infection, I believe Zithromax will only partially treat a strep infection. You might want to check in with the doctor tomorrow.

Any soda can be bad for reflux. I stay completely away from the stuff.

Children's Motrin -- ugh! Hope you're feeling more chipper tomorrow.

F

flutterbee

The grape motrin isn't too bad, if you have to have a liquid.

Hope you feel better soon. If you're throat is hurting that bad, I would go for the swab.

When difficult child has strep - and she gets it a lot - her throat only hurts for a couple of hours. Then it's head, stomach and fever with the glassy eyes. It manifests itself differently in everyone.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hope you are feeling better soon!!! Sore throats are my downfall... My first big trip to Hawaii, right before I entered college, again, I got strep the whole trip!!! They gave me a shot in the rear!!! It made me feel pretty good fairly fast...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I hope you're feeling better soon, too! I hate to have a sore throat!

I'd go back to doctor and request a strep test. Strep is nothing to mess with as it can develop into other things. Always better safe than sorry.

((hugs))

SRL

Thanks for checking on me and everyone for your comments.

I had a really bad night--this is the worst sore throat I've ever had and added to the congestion it wasn't pretty. I went to the prompt care right after getting the kids off to school. Because I've had two doses of the Zithromax the strep test likely would have come back negative so there's no way of knowing if it's bacterial or viral. He wants me to finish the Zithromax and then watch carefully since it's not 100% effective. Due to allergies I'm really limited in terms of antibiotics so this seemed best.

He also gave me a prescription for cough stuff with codiene (which my other doctor is always reluctant to give). I'm dosed up and ready to hit the recliner for some rest.

To frost the cake this week I think my daughter's new bunny is sick. We got her a few weeks ago and she's sneezing with white mucous which is bad news for bunnies. She's got the sweetest disposition--we're just going to be sick if we have to change her out for a healthy one.

SRL

Now this explains a lot. I just got a call that the results of my bloodwork were in and shows I have reactivated mono. No wonder I haven't wanted to get off the sofa for two weeks.

CCRidr2

Sheena-Warrior Momma
I have asthma as well and sometimes I can't tell if it is the reflux or an asthma attack. I usually do my inhaler and if that doesn't take the burn away then I go for the acid reducer.

by the way, if you have an inhaler and you used it quite a bit last week, it can give you a very sore throat, as well. Especially if you have a cold/fever and are a bit dehydrated.

Hope you feel better!:doctor:

Cyndi

Luminosity

As I am reading this I am thinking you have mono.... my stepdaughter presented with the exact same symptoms and yesterday the bloodwork said mono.... I was not surprised when you posted that it was mono. I am so sorry for you. Rest and fluids and it's going to be 4 weeks until you are completely healed... no strenuous activity and NO KISSING!!!!! You might want to pick a plate, bowl, glass, fork, knife and spoon that is just yours.... seems ovely precautious but you don't mess with mono...
Feel better soon

Lumi

crazymama30

I have a sanitize setting on my dishwasher, check to see if yours does or if it has a setting to super heat the water. that should kill germs.

SRL

Luminosity, what is recommended in terms of followup appts for your step daughter? I don't have a PCP as my allergist, ENT and ob/gyn have been able to cover nearly all my medical needs. I need to research doctors (boo hiss, the one I wanted isn't taking new patients with my BCBS insurance). I might need to see if the allergists can do the followup until I find someone--don't know as they'll go for that.

Thankfully the congestion from my bad cold has settled down. Sore throat is bad enough without a bunch of thick gunk on top of it. Finally was able to get some fluids in yesterday as well as a 6 hour sleep last night.