Suboxone for opiate dependency

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry if he has added opiates to his problems. Many people use suboxone to help them step down and wean themselves off of opiates. It won't help xanax addiction, pot or even meth addiction from everything I have read. You will probably find more info about this in the Teens and Sub Abuse area and in the archives of the Teens and Sub Abuse area. Others here have had difficult children that have tried this.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Stands, I also thought your older son had a Xanax habit and not an opiate addiction. Suboxone only works for opiate addiction and the use of it basically holds off the worst of the withdrawal symptoms so that the addict can work a program to get clean.

Also, suboxone has a substantial street value. Is is possible, if he's not addicted to opiates that he is seling his subuxone to support his Xanax habit?

DammitJanet

www.suboxone.com is a website that looks informative.

Im also fairly shocked that your son has moved into opiate addiction but I guess that is next on the list when they start popping pills. I hope he is willing to quit everything to adhere to the program for suboxone.

flutterby

Fly away!
A friend of mine takes suboxone for opiate addiction. I guess it blocks you from getting high if you do take an opiate.

DammitJanet

I just heard about this thing...Naltrexone implants...which is what suboxone has in it. I think that would be much better really. From what I have read it actually works with alcohol and opiates but by being an implant it works better than taking the pills.

witzend

Still and all, either of those drugs are extremely dangerous and often fatal when combined with Alcohol or xanax, which are Susan's son's drugs of choice.

DammitJanet

Yes they are, however, the Naltrexone implant is used for withdrawal from both alcohol and opiates so there is some hope there that it might do some good. Now the xanax usage is something he needs to get under control himself because there isnt always a chemical cure.

DDD

Do you remember Karen? KFld?? She just posted an update on T&SA Board. Her son appears to be a success story. You might want to check it out. DDD

witzend

Do you remember Karen? KFld?? She just posted an update on T&SA Board. Her son appears to be a success story. You might want to check it out. DDD

There's a blast from the past! You're probably right, 3D, that the T&SA abuse board is a good place for info on quitting.