Summary of Is This Your Child by Doris Rapp

Hello to all! As a newbie, I hope I am not overstepping my bounds here! I know all of the pros have read this lifechanging book. This weekend, I created this summary for my husband to gain a better understanding. I thought this might be put in the archive in case any other new and curious folks want to see it. I also printed out a lot of the leaky gut info there for him. Nice work and thank you!
If I have broken any copyright laws, yikes, :eek my apologies. Go buy the book, it's well written and clear!

Summary of Is This Your Child, by Doris Rapp

From Amazon.com: IS THIS YOUR CHILD?
These are the major symptoms of potentially unrecognized allergies. Does your child suffer from any of the following?
Allergic Nose Rub, Eye Circles, Red Ears, Red Cheeks, Eye Wrinkles, Aggression, Lack of Alertness, Mottled Tongue,
In this breakthrough book, Dr. Doris Rapp offers a simple yet effective approach to handling "problem" children. Is This Your Child? shows parents how to identify the common foods, chemicals, or common allergic substances that could be the culprits that cause some children or adults to feel unwell or act inappropriately. If your child is always sick, hyperactive, a slow learner, or cranky, the first question you should ask is not "What drug should be prescribed?" or "What have I done wrong as a parent?" Instead, find out the cause.
Dr. Rapp gives sensible suggestions about how these reactions to foods and environmental factors can be recognized, prevented, and treated. With this information, many affected children should feel, act, behave, and learn better. If you can detect unsuspected environmental illness in your child--or yourself--you can change your lives so you're more content, happy, and free of illness.
Synopsis
A guide to identifying the common allergies that cause health and behavioral problems in children offers directions on how allergy reactions such as hyperactivity, sickness, and learning problems can be prevented through diet.
The book is broken into 5 parts:
1. What is an allergy
2. General clues to allergy in various age groups
3. How to detect and help your child's allergy quickly
4. Specific problems often not recognized as allergy
5. Treatment requiring the expertise of other

A brief summary is as follows:
How to recognize Unsuspected Allergies: The clues in this chapter are sometimes more subtle but equally important evidence of Allergy.

Physical clues: Ticklishness, excessive perspiration (with or without odor) pale face, expressionless face, red nose, bags or wrinkles under the eyes, dark circles, red (and sometimes hot) ears, recurrent ear infections, bright red cheek patches, rash below lower lip, excessive drooling, canker sores, patchy tongue, grayish-white coating on tongue, excessive thirst.

Speech Clues: Motor mouth, whining repetition, stuttering or unclear speech, high-pitched voice, unusual sounds, and hoarse voice.

Skin/buttocks Clues: Small pimples, scalded appearance, soiled underwear, red ring about anus (prolonged course of antibiotics usually means yeast overgrowth), frequent touching of genitals also due to overgrowth of yeast.

Writing/Drawing changes: When some children react to foods/exposures their writing and drawing can abruptly change quite dramatically.

General Clues by ages of children:
1. Infant: Common Symptoms
* Prolonged Colic
* Excessive Spitting
* Repeated vomiting
* Diarrhea and/or constipation
* Congestion of nose or chest
* Eczema or itchy rashes
* Restlessness
* Screaming or prolonged crying
* Dislike of cuddling
* Need to be walked or bounced
* Excessive drooling
* Extreme perspiration
* Excessive crib rocking
* Head banging
* Walking by 7 to 10 months
* Repeated ear infections
* Genital touching
* Reluctance to stay dressed
* Rapid pulse
* Demand for constant attention
* GastroEsophageal Reflux (GERD)

2. Toddler/Child Common Symptoms
* Red earlobes
* Red cheeks
* Dark eye circles
* Bags under the eyes
* Wrinkles under the eyes
* Glassy, glazed eyes
* A spaced-out look
* Wiggly, restless legs
* Dislike of being touched or cuddled
* Recurrent infections: ear, chest, sinus
* Intestinal complaints: gas, diarrhea, constipation, gagging and vomiting, halitosis
* Nose rubbing, picking
* Behavior: temper tantrums, whining, hyperactivity, aggression, biting, hitting, kicking
* Desire for craved food, nonstop senseless talk, repetition of same phrases
* Depression

How can you detect and help your child's allergies:
* Allergy diets: Single elimination, multiple elimination, Rotation diet.
* Food/behavior diary chart
* Laboratory testing

If any of this sounds familiar, I strongly recommend a thorough reading of the book. Other chapters include the following topics:
* Is your child always sick?
* Hyperactivity is a mixed bag
* Tourette's Syndrome overlaps with ATFS and ADD
* Is Ritalin necessary
* Aggression in children due to allergy
* Is your child really slow, or could it be due to allergy
* Fatigue, headaches, tics, seizures- could they be due to an allergy
* Delinquency- does it start early in allergic children
* Could allergy and suicide be related
* The yeast, candida or Monilla controversy
* The practical Rotary diet
* Allergy extract testing and therapy
* Drug therapy
* Nutrition and vitamins
* Counseling and psychotherapy.
* Appendix, Bibliography and Index

This is terrific and obviously alot of work and a thorough understanding of Dr. Rapp's book. Dogchopper, could we archive this please? I'm am printing off a copy right now for doctors and insurance companies.

------------------
At home mom of 3 daughters, middle one ADD/ODD, happily married 23 years,
Holistic, with big Akita dog and small cat!

Kyle's Mom

Great job! Thanks for doing this. Kyle has so many of these symptoms. I can print it out and add it to my "doctor education" file!! Dr. Rapp is definately ahead of her time and is one knowledgeable woman. Funny how you can figure things out just by obeserving your patients instead of having a controlled study funded by drug companies!! I will never forget my last visit to Kyle's certified pediatric allegist, who said red and hot ears was a sign of the body cooling itself and not a sign of allergies. Bull crap!! Like I said, that was my last visit.

------------------
Me - 48, going through menopause; on HRT
husband - 47 Bipolar
Kyle - age 6 diagnosed ADHD Sept 1998 after MMR booster (?)
5 MG Ritalin AM; 25 mg imiprimine PM
Takes vitamins/minerals
and essential fatty acids
and no artificial
ingredients in his diet

Thanks! I will archive this!
Its funny that my easy child has more symptoms that my difficult child.. HUMMMMM
But this is great!

------------------
7 yr old girl Bipolar/ADD/ODD
Currently on a new natural treatment (wish me luck)
off ALL medications!!
Fav. Funny quote- "Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll
probably still be a dog. <Sigh!> There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy

"With out God, my life would fall apart"