Support groups

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by zachieandameliasmom, Feb 6, 2009.

  1. zachieandameliasmom

    zachieandameliasmom New Member

    Does anyone have any advice on how to start a support group in your area? I can't find an ADHD support group where I live. I would really be interesting in starting one. I know our family isn't the only one in the area going through the things we are!! I have looked on CHADD and there aren't any listed.

  2. bran155

    bran155 Guest

    What about a local mental health clinic? We have The Guidance Center here in my area. You can start by asking them if you could possibly post something up in their office and actually hold the meetings there?

    Just an idea. Good luck. :)
  3. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Have you tried contacting CHADD about setting one up for your area? I know that often they just need someone willing to spearhead the idea and they can provide you with the support, guidance and materials for getting it done.

    If you decide you want to do it, you could start by looking for a location in which to hold your meetings. Often churches, community centers, libraries or even schools are willing to let a group like that come in once a month.

    You could utilize your school district to distribute the information to the schools. Some districts have a community advisory committee (CAC) that acts as liaison between the parents and outside support service groups. In our community, the CAC is made up of parents and administrators. They meet monthly to present programs on everything from how to set up a 504 plan or IEP, to having outside support groups (like CHADD, autism groups, etc.) come in to present.

    I think your best bet is to contact CHADD national and ask for their help.
  4. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator

    NAMI ( runs many support groups. Through our county chapter, there is a monthly support group for parents of children with mental illness. Parents with children who have ADHD attend this group. You should check with your local NAMI chapter.