Text Messaging while Driving.....

Sue C

Melissa is on her way Up North (5-1/2 hours away) to visit her friend Tiff 'til Friday. She called me and asked how to find out how many text messages she's used so far this month. I asked why. She said that she and Jenna are text messaging all the way there. I said, "You are driving on the freeway and text messaging?? Driving on the snow covered freeway and text messaging?????" She said yeah she does it all the time.

:smile:

What the heck is she thinking? Jenna should also know better. I hope she gets there without getting into an accident!

Sue

everywoman

I am not surprised. It's amazing to me how apt our kids are at texting. Mine can do it without even looking at the phone! I would freak, however, if I knew they were texting and driving---

Sue C

She did say she can do it with-o looking, but she has to look to read Jenna's messages. She says Jenna doesn't like talking on the phone; she likes to text message. (sigh)

I've never liked Melissa talking on the phone and driving and now I find out she text messages and drives. It's just a very scarey thought.

Sue

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I don't do a lot of texting, but isn't it more expensive than just talking on the phone? Who is paying the phone bill? And yes, any distraction while driving scares me.....

:faint: :nonono: :rolleyes:

Sue C

We are paying the cell phone bill until she gets her full-time job. The plan is a very minimal amount of minutes plus 300 text messages/month.

sue

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
And to think I get upset when easy child talks on hers while driving. :faint:

I'd look into getting it disabled. Fingers crossed they make it safe.

hugs

Sue C

I'm not sure text messaging can be disabled??? I think if I took it off the plan and she made them anyway, they charge you like 20 cents each or something.

I know, I don't like her talking on the phone and driving, either. I hate her only having one hand on the wheel. Her phone came with an ear plug set that I suggested she use. She said then she wouldn't be able to hear if fire trucks needed to pass her.

She called earlier. She made it there safely!!

Sue

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, thank goodness she made it there safely! :whew:

I don't know if you can get it disabled or not. Seems like a silly thing to have on a cell phone though. Of course I'm not a big fan of them in the first place. lol

CrazyinVA

Staff member
You can definitely block text messaging, at least on Verizon you can. I did it after the first time Youngest used like 2000 text messages in a month.. gulp.

As for texting while driving, I'm sorry to say that many of the attorneys I work for do this with their blackberries, respond to emails, etc. There is NO way I'd do that.

DammitJanet

I disabled text messaging on my cell phones too because of Cory and the twit. I would be livid if I found out someone was texting while driving! Talk about dangerous. Its a crock that an ear piece will interfere with her ability to hear emergency vehicles. The ear piece goes in one ear only. Thats why they make hands free devices...for safety!

Personally if she wont use the phones safely, she wouldnt have one. How are you going to feel if she gets into an accident while texting?

skeeter

just delete the number the text message is going to - it actually is "calling" a number to send out that message.

Our plan has unlimited text for $5 a month per phone. One thing I've noticed with NF, he'll often get through with a text when the phone won't get a call in or out. I also remember this happening after Katrina went through - people weren't able to call in or out, but often could get a text through.
So, I'd be a little hesitant to totally disable it, just in case you'd need it in an emergency.

But - we had a young child killed here when a teen driver was texting while driving. The driver hit the child - didn't even see him.

Jen

I had the texting cancelled on my kids. It sounds like a good thing for emergencies, but our kids abuse, and lets face it, they get a hang nail and it is an emergency. I think they are just to lazy adn immature to not grow up and use thier voices.

Jen

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
difficult child 1 did this while driving with my dad on his permit!

First week we let him drive the car to work (back when he had a job for 3 weeks), he wrecked the car texting.

He continues to do it.

I pray he's off my insurance when "it" happens.

Sue C

I told my dental hygienist about this yesterday, and she said her niece was doing it and had an accident because of it. She didn't realize the person in front of her had stopped.

I wish text messaging would never have been invented! :frown:

sue