The Apple and the Tree...

Elsi

I have a younger elder kitty. I have posted about her. Stella.

You won't believe this, but mine was Stellaluna! Though we most often called her Luna, or Looney, or Looney-Baboony. :laugh::cry:

In the night Stella and I have an intimate relationship. She seeks my warmth, mostly on my left side next to my heart, and I seek her.

Luna did this also. I had little kitty steps set up by the bed. No matter which side of the bed I put the steps, she always wanted to be on the other side of me, and she had to get up a lot to drink or pee so she ended up walked over me several times per night. Usually directly over my chest. :laugh: Oh, Looney-Baboony, I will miss you!

She also had kidney disease - pretty common in older kitties. And thyroid issues (we did medications for that rather than the radiation route - she was too old to be a candidate for that when the thyroid issues developed). She lived at least 5 years after the initial kidney disease diagnosis. I hope your Stella does as well!

I know how hard it is to get these guys to go where they need to go. But if he is homeless, maybe he will be more open to a program like Salvation Army, which is 6 months. I have heard wonderful things about it.

Perhaps. He's been really resistant to anything faith-based, including AA. I've encouraged him to try to look beyond his own issues with religion and faith and just take what is meaningful for him out of these programs. But so far, he hasn't been willing. Maybe now that he is truly homeless he'll reconsider. His dad is religious, and has gotten more so with age - he went through a "born again" conversion a few years ago. But it has not seemed to result in many positive changes in his personality or behavior. Religion is just one more bludgeon he uses over everyone around him. I think that's where a lot of C's resistance to it comes from.

I am forced to accept that every bit of help I have given my son has helped him avoid doing the one thing that will really help him.

Bingo. That's what I'm coming around to, also.

I haven't heard for a couple of days now. Phone is off again. Waiting, worrying, praying.

Copabanana

Stellaluna!
Wow.
She lived at least 5 years after the initial kidney disease diagnosis. I hope your Stella does as well!
I hope so. When she got real ill with hyperthyroid, I was praying for 3 years. She is 12. Now I want 8 years like Stellaluna!!!
He's been really resistant to anything faith-based, including AA.
My son too. And me too, because I am not Christian.

It is hard to NOT for me to not keep thinking of things your son for your son to do. The desperation of his situation is painful to me; because of the similarities with my own son. I cannot bear to think of my own son in desperate straits. It is like the hot potato game. I go from one to the other and back again. Just trying to get the pain out.
Religion is just one more bludgeon he uses over everyone around him.
What a doll.

Your son sounds like he is a miracle. He sounds like he is able to be self-reflective, soft, emotional. This is really to your credit, Elsi.

I sure do hope you keep posting. It feels good to have your voice here.

Elsi

Thanks, Copa. This site, and all of you, has been a light in the fog for me. Thank you so much for trying so hard to think of solutions, and pointing me towards possible resources for him. Right now, I'll just have to wait for him to reach back out to me. He's out there somewhere. Next time he calls, I may float a few of your ideas to him.

Elsi

It is hard to NOT for me to not keep thinking of things your son for your son to do. The desperation of his situation is painful to me; because of the similarities with my own son. I cannot bear to think of my own son in desperate straits.

And oh, Copa...I hope your son is finding his way as well. Sending hugs and prayers in your direction.