The 'cold' continues on...argh


Spork Queen
It's been more than 2 months now with me being sick. I start to get better...then relapse big time, then get better, then relapse. It all started with allergies. I've had two ER visits with anaphylactic shock, numerous reactions to medications...I've had it.

Seven days ago I was FINALLY diagnosed with walking pheunomia. Again, the doctor says I need a week at home for rest. Breathing treatments, more shots in the bootie, inhaler, antibiotics, etc. I couldn't have picked a worse time of year to be sick. We had standardized testing all last week and it is critical (in my administration's eyes) that I be there. Then, I go on our yearly weekly camping trip which I organize. No one else knows what to do or even what is going on. I live barely above sea level, the camp is at nearly 10,000 feet. That worked REALLY well when you can barely breathe. High altitude didn't work so well right now. They told me to expect a month or two of recovery...IF the medications don't react too bad. Love that.

The irony of it all is the latest antibiotic had some unpleasant side effects, but they were at least liveable. Fifteen minutes in the beautiful weather and sun told me else. Evidently this particular medicine has a severe reaction to active sunlight, and even indirect sunlight. I look like a fully cooked lobster right now. My poor little toes (wearing sandals) got the worst of it. They are SOOOO blistered right now. I have never had a sunburn on my hands, including palms, but it is BAD.

Here's the kicker. easy child son made it to the state finals in swimming. Today was a 7 hour event, and Saturday is the next 7 hour event. You never really know when they are swimming, so you sit in the sun waiting. Today I tried a long sleeve shirt and umbrella. Nada. Just the heat was killing me, so I came home. It feels like a flame thrower trying to take me down.

I also called in 'sick' for my school's field day tomorrow, which is a full day in the sun. It's one of my favorite days of the year. I'll be sad to miss it.

This has taught me that my tolerance level for medications has severely decreased as I have aged. I just wish this would end.

Final kicker is I get to see a psyhciatrist for the first time tomorrow. Imagine her thoughts as I walk in as a toasted marshmellow that can't take antidepressants. :smile:

husband and I are not doing well at all, but I have started to form a plan in case he is not willing to work with me during this process. I'm pretty committed to it at this point. It might take months, but at least it is a goal I'm working towards. It makes me sad, yet happy at the same time.

On the positive side...I've now lost 22 pounds in two months!! :bravo: This is defineely the hard way to do it, but I'll take it.

Wish me well tomorrow. It's a little unnerving to spill your life to a stranger.



No real answers to life..
Abbey, take some time to listen to what your body is trying to tell can't do it all (and the world won't fall apart if YOU don't do everything). Will be thinking of you and hoping for some answers (sooner rather than later).

timer lady

Queen of Hearts

Sorry to hear that you're so down & out. Sending out positive thoughts & prayers that your body begins to start the healing process quickly. No fun.

Take care of yourself.


Your body is telling you something. It got tired of the hints being ignored and decided to get your attention. You've had such a rough time with it lately. I hope you're feeling better soon. Try to focus less on what you're missing out on and more on getting well.

22 pounds in two months! :smile:

How did the psychiatrist appointment go?


Active Member
ahhh I bet you are ready to scream and rightfully so!
sounds like there are a few benefits a skinnier you and hopefully with enough endurance to work thru the plan you concoct.


(the future) MRS. GERE
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your body is telling you something. It got tired of the hints being ignored and decided to get your attention. </div></div>

Heather is right, Abbey. You are definitely being given a wake-up call right now. No fun, that's for sure.

I hope your stress alleviates soon. There's no question that it takes a toll on our bodies.

Big hugs,


Spork Queen
Each day is a *bit* better than the last. I'm cautious as that is what walking pneumonia does...tricks you into thinking you are better. I'm taking this weekend to relax, much to my husband's dismay as he's REALLY busy, but I have to do it.

I did sneak out a bit for my son's swim meet for the state finals...he's in!!! :bravo:It was a GREAT race.



Well-Known Member
Sending caring and supportive thoughts your way. Did your lst
appointment go alright? I hope the "connection" was there so
you can benefit from the shared time. Hugs. DDD