The support for exercise and healthy eating thread

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I really liked the idea of keeping track on a thread but I'm afraid to sound like I'm boasting. Besides I don't want to feel like I can't post when I mess up.
Do you want to do this? Is there any suggestions how to make it member friendly so that it is a support and not a competition? I love hearing what others are doing and how they are progressing. It gives me some inspiration and some motivation but I don't want to do this if it will cause resentment or cynicism. I like to hear of the types of exercise since it gives me ideas of something I can try besides what I'm doing.
Non participants aren't an issue. They can be as resentful as they please.
It's just us who want the support and group motivation that are my concern.
Should we do this or should we not really bother? </span>

DammitJanet

Fran..just a thought. Maybe the exercise and nutrition thread could be stickied and/or posted in the natural treatment section.

I was almost thinking of it having its own forum but then I remembered natural treatments and it would work there. Of course, a forum designated to parents stress relief or something along those line...cant think of exactly what to call it...maybe Getting in Shape...would be good too. Could have all the recipes and exercise tips.

Im just thinking outloud for you you.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Janet, I think Cheryl has it on her list of things to do but in the meantime, do we keep a thread going?
I can ask Loth if she minded if we had a sticky so we can follow.
Do you think what I'm saying above is valid? Maybe I'm the only one who sees that a lot of folks aren't posting or are uncomfortable posting.

DammitJanet

Well it certainly doesnt bother me! I dont post because Im not doing it but I sure dont mind that you guys are posting and encouraging each other. I think it is a great idea in fact. It is always helpful to have buddies to gain strength from.

You know me, Im so easy going about things like this it would be hard to faze me. I honestly cant see people being upset because some of you are trying to get in shape. That is kinda petty.

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Janet, I know if someone cares or not. I just didn't want the thread to sound like a competition instead of a support. I'm always curious what other people do because it's always a struggle and new ideas help me. Same with food choices.</span>

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Yeah, Fran, I was thinking the same thing. When I did exercise I didn't want it to sound like naa, naa, na, naa, naa, I did mine, did you do yours????? But I would like to know who does what and has anybody tried the new dance dvds? or hiphop? etc. Does pilates really work or how can I slim down without becoming so discouraged I run out and eat a gigantic fudge sundae?

I also think at my age it takes a while to lose the weight and keep it off and isn't like it used to be when I could drop 4 lbs in a week.

Looking for encouragement big time.....

Fran

Former desparate mom
I liked Pilates. I did it last year. It's not as easy as you would think but it feels good to stretch and move those muscles.
The YMCA does a lot of interesting things but I just can't seem to committ a specific time.
I would like to lose 4lbs in a week but I think those days are over unless I starve which I'm not doing.
Good luck this week.

tiredmommy

I haven't been posting, but this thread has actually been very motivating for me. My fitness level really plummeted this year and I'm just happy to be up & moving. I figure if someone can run for 20 minutes or more that I can at least push myself to jog for 10 minutes. It's a start. :wink:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I think we all know that no one is boasting or rubbing others' noses in thier success - lol.

And even if one posts just to get it down in writing, then it's helpful, don't you think?

Even a short 2 sentence post about what you want to change or celebrate each day, whether it's an eating habit or a weight loss can make a huge difference in how others approach thier own goals.

I, for one, think a daily folder/post would be fun. We always talk about how we're one big giant family, so I can't see anyone being offended by another reaching his/her goals or having a successful day. Likewise, we always pull together to offer support where it is needed so if someone posts that they are having a hard time sticking to thier goals, I know there will be at least one person who posts back with some level of support, eve if it's a simple, 'try again tomorrow'.

I hate exercising, I hate sweating, but I have to lose about 22 lbs. I eat healthy, but I don't move enough. Pilates sounds great Fran, I loved it way back when I used to do it all the time. I also love yoga, but right now just doing the curves course has been a battle for me. I am feeling SAD I think and once we start having some warmer weather, that will be my motivation!

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Thanks for the feedback.
Moving always makes me feel more in control of my health and well being. </span>

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I think it is good... I love to exercise and have not been able to due to the situation here... but I still try to do what I can... and do enjoy reading what you are doing and how!!! Also the food is always good to read about.
It gives me hope that I will have the energy, time, g'sfg not hanging on me 24/7, so I can exercise!!!

jannie

trying to survive....
I was and still am trying to be on a diet...I did well for the first few weeks and did want to post my results. I don't think anyone would feel like people are bragging. We are all here to support one another...Exercise and diet is key to us surviving life with difficult child...My weight has really increased since dealing with difficult child stress. I think we should share our good news about exercise and weight loss. I think it would be fun to post some healthy recipies. I think we should keep it going.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I like the idea! Encouragement for what we are trying to do is a good thing. Seeing what everyone is doing has been inspiring for me. Weight loss/exercise can be a difficult thing and supporting one another/sharing ideas is a good!

needabreak

i would love something where you can just check in to see how every one is doing.and i dont feel bad to say hey,i messed up for a day cause i have been trying to lose wieht for years.yhe only time i looked good is when i was pregnant i lost almost 50 pds after i had the baby and i never gained any wieght either so i loved it.but like 3 or4 months later i gained it all back.i always kept a jounal but when i had the kids i sort of lost track of this would be a nice way of keeping track of things.and hearing what works for other people.and here i know i can get the support i need.

Fran,

I think an exercise and healthy eating thread is a great idea!!! I don't think it would be thought of as competitive. We're all here to offer support and advice to eachother.

I think that exercise and healthy eating are vital to surviving life with difficult children!!! When I'm feeling good about myself, it makes it so much easier to deal with difficult children.

I'm a firm believer in the power of exercise and healthy eating. All of us are under a tremendous amount of stress on a daily basis. All of this stress is extremely bad for our health. Exercise and healthy eating can help wipe out some of the negative effects of constant stress..

I wish I could get everyone to exercise and eat healthy!!! in my humble opinion, it is the most important thing we can do everyday to take care of ourselves!!!

I hope an exercise and healthy eating thread become a permanent part of this support group. WFEN

busywend

I look at it this way. We all have our good and bad days, so if someone is doing a better job getting fit than me, it may motivate me because it tells me I can do it, too. That same person may get their motivation from me one day because I am in a good place at that timeframe.
I think we all have our ups and downs. Somehow that in itself is comforting to me. To know that many of us have had to 'lose weight' many times make me feel not alone in the fight. Similar to how I felt coming here looking for difficult child support.

I know I am in a better place in my life right now. Better than one year ago. But, I think if I had a place to go where someone might say - hey Wend great job on doing the treadmill today - it would motivate me to keep going. I know, it sounds sort of childish to need that confirmation of doing well.

Also, I am so happy to be able to tell you all that I did the treadmill Thursday and Sunday! I hope to do it tonight as well. Being able to say that is making me feel good!