This is how weird I am.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I have a huge aversion to food. Seriously. I can't stand the smell of it :slap: , and have to force myself to eat. I could...and have gone days without eating. This has all started in the last year. Yesterday one of easy child's friends came over. He ALWAYS raids the cupboards. He made a frozen burrito...I had to leave the room.

I've lost now 35 pounds since last May. I DID need to lose some weight, but this is bizarre.

I thought it might be from the medications, but I think I'm just screwed up. husband wants me to make bacon and eggs this morning. I cringe at the thought of smelling that. Ugh.

Abbey

Lothlorien

Have you had an MRI of your brain? Don't want to scare you....I know you've had some recent health issues, but a friend had that very problem and had a benign tumor removed from her a few years ago.

Go to the doctor.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Have you been to the doctor lately? Since this is something that just kind of popped up one day, I would see what the doctor says about it. I've never heard of anything like that but it sounds like there's some sort of underlying issue going on. Yeah the weight loss might be somewhat of a perk but it's definately not healthy. Until you can get this straightened out, maybe you could use Vicks or something to help kill the smell? (Kind of a weird idea but maybe it would work)

Star*

call 911........call 911
ARE YOU PREGNANT? (oh I do joke so) ARE YOU?

Also, not to alarm you, but...us little "smell" weirdos like to be able to smell things only trained K-9's can.

I had the same fear and had an MRI of my brain to check for brain tumors because heightened sense of smell was a 'clue' and all they found was that I DO have a brain.

For all those times my Mother said "MY GOD STAR DO YOU HAVE A BRAIN IN YOUR HEAD?" - I asked for an 8x10 copy of that X-ray and sent it to her with a note....YES MOTHER-I HAVE A BRAIN, SEE?

Occasionally (if you can stand it) a little vics vapor rub under your nose will block out offensive smells. That and cotton balls.

I wish food smell made ME loose 35 lbs.

Abbey

Spork Queen
LR...your reply cracked me up. I *think* I have a brain, but others around me might disagree.

I've never been a big eater, but I've never had this repulsion of food. I might try the Vicks thing. Meanwhile...husband and easy child are still waiting for their bacon. :wink:

by the way...PREGNANT????? Are you crazy?? It would have to be a miracle as both husband and I are 'fixed.' I guess stranger things have happened. :surprise:

Abbey

Abbey,

I have had this problem off and on for years. I had always assumed that I was just anorexic as a teenager because I went several years without really eating much of anything. The issue was always smell related - nothing smelled edible to me.

I had great difficulty getting pregnant the second time around and went to the doctor. After my blood work turned up with abnormal amounts of prolactin - he sent me for a MRI which showed a tumor on my pituitary gland. Apparently this tumor was responsible for both my infertility and my trouble with food.

I was treated successfully for the tumor with chemotherapy - and I got pregnant with difficult child and had many fewer problems with food and "smells". I think that checking in the a doctor is an excellent idea. 35 pounds is a lot of weight to lose without trying. Unexplained weight loss is ALWAYS a red flag.

Take care,

skeeter

allergies, sinus infections, etc. can also do strange things to your sense of smell.

And our "enjoyment" of food and what most people relate to as "taste" is really the sense of smell. Think about when you DO have a cold or stuffed up nose and nothing tastes like it should, or you crave spicy foods.
I did odor analysis of foods for years (usually OFF odor analysis, i.e. why is this food bad!) and it's amazing how you can change a person's perception of something just by adding or taking away certain volatile components. There have been over 500 volatile chemicals identified in coffee, but only about 15 of them are really necessary to have someone smell a mixture and say "that's coffee".
There are only 4 true "tastes" - salty, sweet, sour and bitter. I, personally, cannot taste bitter - I'm missing those taset "buds". Coffee tastes burnt to me, beer tastes like "fuzzy" water, I don't get an after taste to aspertame, but I love dark chocolate!
Some people also don't smell certain chemicals - that is termed "osmonic". This will leave one super-sensitive to other chemicals sometimes.

Anyway, since you say this is a "new" development, I would get it checked out.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'd get checked by your doctor, as it can signal other health issues.

Now I'd have never thought of the Vicks solution. It'd make me NOT wanna eat. lmao Love that stuff, but man I can smell it a mile away. :rofl:

I'm wondering if this new problem can be hormonal. I mean, those of us who had this problem during preg, don't they tell you it cuz of hormornes? So, if your menopausal, why couldn't your flip flopping hormones have the same effect??

Just a thought out loud there. lol

Plus I'm going thru short periods of the same thing. Wondered why I was feeling faint one day with a pounding headache, then realized I hadn't eaten a single bite in 2 days. :spaghetti:

So I have to really watch myself when I notice food smells getting to me.

Hope the Vicks thing works for ya. I know I'm not gonna try it. :bag:

Hugs

busywend

Now Abbey, you KNOW you should see a doctor about this one. Just make the appointment. No matter how scary. You need to get this checked out.

Forget the bacon! Tell them to cook it themselves and you are going for a massage!

:scared:

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ha! Bacon was made...then I left the house for 2 hours. This is so weird.

Yes, I do need some medical advice, but will have to wait until I have insurance again. {:

Abbey