This is NOT Rocket Science, is it?

susiestar

Roll With It
The kids, Jessica especially, seem to think that I am making unreasonable demands. Or just ignoring them. Maybe she thinks I don't really care?

I want grooming supplies to live in the bathroom. She shares a bath with thank you. LOTS of room there. So why is her deodorant uncapped on the floor next to the recliner in the living room? Her hairbrush usually anywhere else but there.

We tried having her keep the stuff in her room. It got lost or ground into the bed, carpet, whatever she dropped it on.

In the last 3 months she has lost 4 deodorants, 2 toothbrushes, toothpaste, and I don't know what else.

thank you has started this. He was "cleaning" the bathroom and threw away his toothbrush and toothpaste, comb and something else I forget.

He did find them, so we didn't fuss much.

Jessie just drops them wherever and will NOT pick them up unless I stand over her.

Why can they not stay in the bathroom? thank you leaves hers alone - he has his own.

Do the rest of you constantly find hairbrushes on the kitchen counters or the floor or sticking up from between couch cushions? Deodoran with-o a lid on the floor or in a basket of clean laundry (NOT washed with the laundry, thankfully!)?

How can I get through to her that this has to stop??? Even making her buy them with her own money, or with money she earns from chores has no impact.

Any ideas? I cannot make her do too much in the way of work because she is still fighting the shakes and is falling a lot. But it is NO excuse for this.

Thanks for letting me vent and sharing ideas!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Argh-I just had a reply all typed out and lost it!

Yes, we see this here with both kiddos but especially difficult child who has decided the living room is his bedroom. He changes down here and leaves everything where he drops it. We are also always finding his brush and picture (sp?) everywhere.

For us, nothing works all the time. I know when he really wants to do something I tell him it has to be picked up before he can do it-he grumbles a lot but it gets done.

I have a friend who will tell her children 3 times when they have left something where it doesn't belong. Then it goes in the garbage or is given away. Hardly anything is left out of place because she even gave away a Game Boy one time!

On another note, I've been wondering how Jesse is doing lately; sorry she is still struggling so with the shakes and falling. Hugs.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
If its in my space, its mine.

Wee does a pretty good job picking stuff up when he's told. easy child 2 is getting worse. They are both AWFUL about leaving stuff behind in the cars and trucks.

If they leave it in there, I do like WO's friend - its likely to get pitched.

M

ML

OH boy I can relate. Manster takes CONSTANT reminding for such things. I feel your pain. No advice, just empathy.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Susie--

I cannot help but feel a bit jelous that your kids are at least USING deoderant and hairbrushes. I have not had to purchase any deoderant for difficult child since 2008...

But yes, that would make me crazy, too, to find deoderant all over the house. That stuff can be messy! As for the hairbrush? I confess that I leave my OWN hairbrush all over the house....well, not the brush, the comb. And then when I can't find it I get so aggravated at myself for taking it out of my bedroom in the first place....

BUT--I guess that's another story.

Maybe you could get those chains they use at the bank for pens and attach deoderant and hairbrush to the bathroom sink? Unconventional--but probably effective.

--DaisyFace

DammitJanet

Oh DF...what a wonderful idea! I may have to use that one.

Susie I feel your pain only its me that leaves her hairbrush in a special place in the living room...or rather right next to my computer so I know where to find it when I want to brush my hair when I am ready to leave the house. I am forever having to search for it because SOMEONE decides to take it. Aggravates me to no end.

Now I only have one on weekends to leave their stuff all over...lol. Sometimes I can get it picked up by the time she gets back here!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I cannot help but feel a bit jelous that your kids are at least USING deoderant and hairbrushes.

:rofl: You, too, huh?

I have FOUR other family members who suffer from the same bad habits.

For the most part, I leave things where they lie until the opportunity to direct the perpetrator to put the item away presents itself. Usually it's when they are in the middle of doing something they don't want to stop doing! And as they're grumbling about putting it away at that most inopportune time, I remind them that had they taken just a brief second to attend to this task earlier, their precious activity would not have to be interrupted now to take care of the problem they created.

And admittedly, it requires a lot of hover time on my part, but I just remind myself that parenting difficult children sometimes requires this level of intensity and focus.

This is also why my house is generally a cluttered mess. And why we spend weekends and school breaks doing chores instead of having fun. Someday maybe this will change.

Susie I feel your pain only its me that leaves her hairbrush in a special place in the living room...or rather right next to my computer so I know where to find it when I want to brush my hair when I am ready to leave the house. I am forever having to search for it because SOMEONE decides to take it. Aggravates me to no end.

All it will take is for ONE family member to get head lice, and that particular problem will be solved, guaranteed! My daughter and I used to share hair brushes without giving it a second thought. I am SOOO lucky! Never again will I take that chance. I was reading over your signature. Several little ones, huh? Get ready!

klmno

I always told difficult child he needed to pick things up and put them back where they go. I'm no clean fanatic, but periodically I do want things CLEAN and the typical stuff like you are describing needs to stay in the "right" room at least. If he didn't pick it up when he was supposed to, I picked it up. He learned at about 4yo that if I pick it up, he never sees it again. I realize Jess has some problems right now, but if she's able to carry it out of the bathroom, she's able to carry it back in, in my humble opinion.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have this problem, but it seems to be an ADD sort of thing that started as a side effect of the medications I have to take.

If I get interrupted putting something away, there's a good possibility I will forget not only where I put that item, but to go back and look for it as well.

My solution has been to get a few of those little plastic baskets that WalMart and the like sell in housewares.

I keep medications in one, toiletries in another, etc. I always put my items back in their baskets, but the baskets are easily visible and I can just grab them later and put them away.

Did this start before Jessie started taking the medications for her condition? I'm taking codeine for a dental infection (and antibiotics--waiting for it to calm down so the tooth can be pulled) and I swear the codeine has turned my brain into a sieve.

DammitJanet

Ya know...we have never had a lice problem ever. Not once. It has gone around the schools too. Even when Jamie was younger and had long hair, we didnt get it. Dunno why.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I had 'em a couple of times as a child. In addition to the usual sharing of hats and grooming tools, the old fashioned high-backed theater seats used to spread them as well.

In fact, the Chicago slang for theaters in those days was "itch houses" since not only could you get lice from the seats, but also ringworm.

Ah, yes. And now you have computer headphones to add to the list! Honestly, I never worried much about it, because, after all, I have taught a long time, and I have raised a teenager who never had a problem. The past month has initiated me well, though! Still think maybe you could use that excuse to get other folks to leave your hairbrush alone!

As for deo and stuff that's not yours though? I'm with the others who say the garbage can is your friend. I gave several warnings and then started pitching whatever bothered me. Depending on the situation, I either admitted what I'd done or acted like I had no idea where it was....

Well, where did you have it last, difficult child? Do you think one of the dogs could have eaten it?

susiestar

Roll With It
I make Jess put them away. I usually then have her put several other things away a tthe same time. I jsut get frustrated because it happens over and over and over.

About the third or fourth time I toss them. She then has to pay with her own $$ to replace it.

Santa is getting her a caddy to keep her deodorant, hairbrush, ponytail holders, etc... in.

Thanks for making me feel less alone. And for letting me vent - it kept me from going out ther to throttle her.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I solved this with ktbug by making her take her own money & buying a shower caddy of sorts. She picked out a pretty basket & put all her items in that.

Since I've fixed the bathroom upstairs she does all her grooming up there (except showers) & has a place for all her personal grooming items.

It took a couple of years & a remodel but she has it almost down - course, she isn't home either. That could be the big thing.