TM, an update?

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I know you are close to your grandmother. How are things going? I'm sending some good thoughts that all is peaceful. </span>

tiredmommy

Thanks for asking. She has had several very lucid times since last evening (although not when I was there :frown: ). She has had no liquids or food since Thursday at dinner. They are going to attempt a swallow test tomorrow to ensure that she really can't eat. I'll be in overnight tonight (we're taking shifts). My mother & brother have gone home, mom might be back Monday or Tuesday. So my aunt, her husband, and I will work to see that Grandma won't be alone.

tiredmommy

Thank you for all the kind thoughts. I'm about to head back up. Sorry I haven't been responding to others, I'm sure you all understand I've been spending my down time from the hospital with Duckie & husband.
There's some stress associated with the swallow test. Grandma hasn't been able to swallow liquids for several months and has been receiving those liquids through eating basically a fortified pudding several times a day. It looked like she wouldn't survive more than a few days on Friday morning. Now, if she begins to be fed again, she could maintain for possibly several weeks. While she's been lucid, she also suffers from dementia and Parkinson's. And now she has stroked and has seizures. As horrible as it sounds, I truly hope she doesn't pass the test tomorrow. I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want her to suffer more than a moment necessary.
Thank you again for all the support and kind word.

Ephchap

Awww, TM. Just saw this. Of course you don't want her to suffer.

Take care of yourself too amidst all this.

Sending hugs and prayers,
Deb

ScentofCedar

I'm here too, TM.

When you are really tired, and you wonder how you will go on being pleasant, being kind...remember we are all here holding on, and waiting to hear, and sending strength.

Barbara

tiredmommy

Thank you all for your warm thoughts. Granny is as comfortable as possible at my aunt's house and the family is slowly gathering together. We cleared out her room at the nursing home today, I felt a little ghoulish about that as she isn't gone yet. The good thing is that her clothing is being donated to other residents in need. I felt a little better today when I made a big pasta meal including simmering homemade sauce all day. I brought the meal to my aunt's house for the extended family to have together. It seems less like an impending loss and more like we're gathering together to celebrate a truly wonderful woman.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
TM,

Thank you for the update - I've been thinking about you today. It's been 2 months since my mother passed & it still seems surreal.

Will be keeping you & yours in my prayers. Hold your family close.