Too much input!

trinityroyal

Golly!
I'm having one of those run-and-hide Asperger's days. You know...lights are too bright, telly is too loud, too many flat surfaces with things on them...

And now, sitting in the family room, Princess Paulina is yowling her fool head off (teething), husband is trying to get baby tylenol down her throat, all the time singing Christmas carols at the top of his lungs, partly in an attempt to calm the babies, and partly to drown out Paulina's shrieks.

husband has a beautiful singing voice, but I just need him to STOP. My brain is buzzing with the sensory input and I am THIS close to hiding under the bed. Irrational aspie behaviour from me (but not from the children) scares husband silly so I'm suppressing like mad, but I'm on my last nerve and all reserves are empty.

I'm hiding in the kitchen frosting a cake, which I will proceed to eat without sharing. I KNOW that will be too much sensory input as well, due to the texture and flavours, but darnit, if I'm going to have a sensory meltdown later, at least I'm gonna get some enjoyment before it happens.

Yeesh!

All I want for Christmas is silence.

Trinity

Fran

Former desparate mom
I get sensory overload too. I fully expect when in laws are here to wander off to decompress. I finally decided that it wasn't rude to take time in my room to read or just have some quiet time if it makes me more pleasant the rest of the day.

Try to escape for fifteen minutes if you can. Maybe ear plugs for 15 min while husband deals with the princess. Too cute but I'm sure it doesn't feel that way.

M

ML

Hugs Trin. I hope you are able to sneak away for some quiet time. It does get to be too much sometimes. Hugs

PS it was sure nice to see a post from the BBK!

Last edited:

mstang67chic

Going Green
I think that sounds like a good occasion for ear plugs, a nice hot bath and a book!

Hope you enjoyed the cake and were able to relax!

trinityroyal

Thanks all. I WAS able to settle myself down, and without blowing my stack.
husband's beautiful singing did the trick. Paulina (gasp) went to sleep!

I finished frosting the cake. Vanilla with chocolate frosting, and a Christmas tree motif made of green sprinkles. The back and forth motion of frosting the cake, just like rocking and swaying when I was a little girl, did the trick. And because the babies were now asleep, husband stopped caterwauling.

I tidied up the family room, which looked as though a toy-and-giftwrap bomb had been set off. Aaahhhh. A flat surface with no stuff on it, right in my visual field.

And yes, the cake was delicious. And I did share it with husband.

BBK, wonderful to see you posting!

Trinity