Topomax anyone?

Ltlredhen

First, hi to all of the new members that I haven't been able to respond to. Welcome to the board!

difficult child has continued to have more symptoms of mania in the last few weeks. Partly due to going almost 2 more hours of school and also to a change in the weather. (The teacher says a lot of the boys are much more active right now.) difficult child has been having spurts of more aggression, hard to dress him, demanding and not sleeping as well to list a few.

Well, I took difficult child to psychiatrist today and explained his symptoms and he suggested we try a dose of Topomax at the end of the school day. He said this medication can work as a mood stabilizer and might also curb some of the eating by working as an appetite suppressant.

Does anyone have experience with this medication?

Hope everyone is doing well. My husband went back to his job and spring break is over here for us. Maybe life will return to somewhat normal for us. Hope so anyway.

Donna

tiredmommy

Hi Donna. Good to see you again. :smile: No experience with Topamax here. You might want to try dressing him the night before, getting room darkening shades and finding a fairly strenuous activity in the afternoon.

Wiped Out

Staff member
My difficult child has been on Topomax for about a year and a half. We tried many other mood stabilizers that really didn't help difficult child. This one did for a long time (although now he is struggling). It hasn't really served as an appetite suppressant for my difficult child.

DammitJanet

I take topamax with pretty good results. I have been on it since 2003. It did help with my appetite for quite awhile. Lots of foods will taste yucky to him.

Got2Sleep

We used Topamax with difficult child at 5 years old. I use it myself for migraine prevention. psychiatrist was unsure if difficult child was having seizures in the mid brain or weird migrianes, plus it can be a mood stabilizer for his BiPolar (BP).

We did really well on it. He was at one point taking 2x what I take, but...the side effect of the not eating was not a good thing for him, so we had to stop.

Good luck with it!

Ltlredhen

Hi, thanks for the infomation on the Topomax. Does it need time to build up to a therapeutic level or does it just start working right away?

Anybody got any ideas?

Donna