turbo tax

peg2

Hi,
Anyone use Turbo Tax. Did you feel safe giving all your info. over the computer. My sons used it and got good refunds.
Seems as if we all pay too much tax and it looks as if it is basically fill in the blanks. Good for all of us who hate working with numbers.
Let me know your experiences. Thanks

H

HaoZi

I've used it for a few years. Last two my return has ended up delayed by a week or two, but other than that no complaints.

muttmeister

I've used it for several years. No problems. It's easy..it is pretty much just fill in the blanks. Works especially well if you have a pretty simple return. If you have lots of special stuff, it might be worth it to hire an accountant but for most of us, it is fine and pretty thorough.

skeeter

I've used it for at least 12 years. On line version. They are secure (that's what the "s" in https means), and I love that they save information year to year so I just have to replug this year's numbers. Wish my company would work with them to download W2 so I didn't have to plug those numbers (some companies do).

peg2

We usually owe money, so how does that work? Do you just print out your return and mail it to the IRS with a check when you are ready?
Thanks for all the feedback.

H

HaoZi

You can, so long as you do it by the due date or else set up a payment plan with the IRS. I think the IRS takes credit/debit cards now, too, but I'm not certain. Check www.irs.gov for info on that.

muttmeister

If you owe money you can also do an e-check. Just give them your bank info the same as you would if you were getting a refund for direct deposit.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have used both Turbo Tax and Tac Cut in the past ten years or so. Never had any problems with it. If anything it got us more in refunds than we would have gotten otherwise.

witzend

I've done it for over a decade, and this year was all online, just pay at the end. I always file electronically, so although I was a little leery, I didn't have a problem with going ahead and doing it. Having to combine my business and personal taxes, it was the cheapest way to find the programming that I needed to get the job done.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
My tax situation has been very complex for years & have used the offline version of turbo tax ~ I have over 10 years of tax files on a removable disk drive. This year I'll be working with a CPA & will just bring in the drive for the accountant to use.

No complaints or problems.

peg2

I guess my question is, if I would use turbo tx today and owe $, can I wait to pay until April 14?

witzend

I guess my question is, if I would use turbo tx today and owe $, can I wait to pay until April 14?

Yes. Your taxes are filed and they give you a coupon to mail your check with, or you can have them auto-debit it from an account on a specific day like you might already do with other bills.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I've used Tax Slayer - they're cheaper, very reliable, and have been using them 4 years in a row. I went to a private place last year - and went back to Tax Slayer this year. Matter of fact, I did it on line, got a rejection from IRS - got a text sent to my phone - just a psssst you have an email contact us - Tax Slayer - went home, did the email. I had inverted 2 numbers and there was a discrepancy. They walked me through fixing it and I just got another psssst. text telling me to go to my email - saying IRS had approved both my returns for state and federal. Love it! They also gave me the option this year to split where I wanted my monies deposited. For $9.95 can't beat it.

muttmeister

My taxes are so simple that Turbo Tax does them for free. They do charge if you have them do the state ones but I go to the state website and I can do them for free too. It's been years since I paid anything to have my taxes done.

H

HaoZi

Same here MM. I'm well within the limits for free TurboTax, TaxAct, etc. and do my state one at the state site for free. This year had the state return in the bank before the IRS was accepting returns!

peg2

Thanks for all the great help! Is it the same for all the tax websites? If I owe $ can I do them now and pay on 4/14?
Thanks again. Great help!!!

donna723

If you go to the IRS website, it will give you a list of companies that will allow you to efile, usually for free if your return is relatively simple. Some have restrictions for age or income level or are only good in certain states but both Turbo Tax and H&R Block have the "freefile" option. Make sure you connect with them through the IRS site though - with some of the companies there is a charge if you go through their own websites.

I've used both Turbo Tax and H&R Block to file my own and my sons taxes for several years now with no problems. I retired this year and thought I may have to pay someone to do them this year but it walked me right through it and it was really easy. You just fill in the blanks.