turducken

K

Kjs

Has anyone made it? Where can I get a good deboning knife? I volunteered to make this for work that day since we work.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I know how to bone the various birds needed, and have watched and helped husband make a few turduckens "back in the days".

That said, this is NOT an amateur project. I would VERY strongly ask the butcher to bone the poultry for you.

In fact, I'd opt out of the turducken completely and have then butcher bone out the birds, and then make a salmis out of them. This is a sort of stuffed, rolled poultry roast.

You cut off the wings and drumsticks save them for stock or whatever--same with the giblets.

To make a salmis, all you need do is lay the boned turkey out flat (skin side down). Put a good quantity of dressing on top of this and then lay down the chicken (if you are being fancy, get a capon-much juicier and more tender and well worth the extra cost) add more dressing to the chicken layer and then do the same with the duck and some more dressing.

Now, move the whole flabby mess onto a baking cloth, and roll it up just like you would with a jelly roll. Sew up the "seam" and tie the ends of of the cloth tightly.

Drizzle with a bit of melted butter and roast at 350 degrees until a meat thermometer measures 165 degrees minimum (check several places as the meats cook at slightly different rates.)

You'll want to baste as you go along with this, use more melted butter for that.

Once cooked, weight down to cool (I use a foil covered brick for weighting cooked meats).

Salmis can be served hot or cold. The IMPORTANT thing is that they be either kept hot, or cooled rapidly. The mixture of meats and stuffing is food poisoning waiting to happen if not handled properly.

Believe it or not, this is EASIER than making a turducken if only because you don't have to try to shape the darned thing to look like a bird. It comes out looking like a rolled "bird roast"

If you use spinach in the stuffing, you get a really nice effect when you slice it.

I advise using a butcher to bone the meats as either way you can't tear the skin without ruining the final product and I assure you that you will take several tries to get it right.

Westhof and Dick make excellent boning knives, but you are talking around a hundred dollars for a blade.

Rapala makes a darned good boning knife. It is sold in the sporting goods dept as a "fillet knive" marketed towards the fishing types.

I also recommend that you get a set of "carvers gloves" (high end cooking stores) before attempting this type of project. Greasy hands and slippery meat do not mix at all well with razor sharp knives, even though the sharper a knife is, the safer it is.

While the salmis is cooking, you can get a nice stock going with all the leftovers and use that either as the base for a sauce, or save it for later use.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Ummm...I watched Paula Deen make one of these on cable TV and SHE messed it up. I did a bit of checking via Google and there are a lot of companies selling these things ready-made.

That's another option to consider.

Of course, it could be worse. husband attended a dinner party in the Gulf that was put on by the bedouin contracters. The main dish was a CAMEL stuffed with a goat stuffed with a lamb stuffed with chickens.

All boned. I can only imagine the labor involved. husband said it was pretty good albeit really greasy. It was a huge honor to be served camel as they are used for milk, wool, and of course for transportation.

These sorts of preperations were very popular during the Middle Ages as well. Things such as swans stuffed with peacocks stuffed with quail and the like.

They were considered a way of displaying one's wealth in a time when meat was hard to come by.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Janet. Let's just say that I can see a southern WalMart selling turduckens, but I can assure you that the fad hasn't made it up this far north, LoL.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Janet. Let's just say that I can see a southern WalMart selling turduckens, but I can assure you that the fad hasn't made it up this far north, LoL.

Or this far west, for that matter! I can just hear the PETA fanatics screaming out on Hollywood Boulevard now... :tongue:

Kjs, you are a braver chef than I!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'll call DF's Swedish Momma - It sounds like something they made. I'm guessing anyone that eats Lutefisk (white fish prepared in lye) would know how to make a duck soaked in turds.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Lutefisk?

Eeeewwww! That has the dubious honor of being the only preserved fish I've tried that I don't like.

Disgusting stuff!

SRL

I've seen them at grocery stores in Illinois and Wisconsin before Christmas. Can't remember which stores though.

I've watched them being made online before and it does sound challenging. Has anyone ever tasted one--the only person I knew said she didn't care for the taste.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The only times I've had turducken was when husband made them for LARGE family gatherings or holiday parties.

If made right, they are very good, but very fatty from the duck. husband used to remove as much fat from the duck as possible before assemling the turducken.

The problem is that a LOT of people who like turkey and chicken just do not like duck. Because duck is a dark meat and very fatty, the duck flavor tends to permeate the entire dish.

I'll have to check up here at the local markets. I'd never buy a turducken for myself as I'm widowed and even with the pets helping, I'd have to throw most of it out.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My guess for Northern IL would be Sunset Foods or Treasure Island. Both are upscale grocery stores. I'd bet Whole Foods has them as well, but I would google WF's CEOs feelings on health care issues before shopping there. I won't have anything to do with them.

If you are around Milwaukee, Sendik's Market might have them.

muttmeister

We had one for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. We ordered it from a gourmet food catalog; I can't remember which one but I'm sure you could find some on the internet. THey weren't cheap but it was pretty good, although I think I prefer plain old Thanksgiving turkey.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have never heard of this, so I looked it up on wiki. It sounds like a neat concept but a very difficult one to do at home. I have some experience deboning chicken and would NEVER attempt this. Just too much chance to get hurt.

Ask a butcher to debone the birds or make the whole thing. Or find a source to buy it. I ran across a site called cajungrocer.com , but have no idea how good they are. It is best to purchase from a source you are familiar with, if possible.

Personally, I would skip the duck. Maybe use a capon instead, or some pork chops. It won't have the duck flavor but would still be enough meat for a large gathering. Esp if you marinate the pork in a raspberry vinaigrette or dressing before you assemble it.

Sounds like an interesting dish to try.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, either in a salmis or a tur"ken, it might be very good done with a high quality ham in place of the duck.

I've had salmis done with the ham laid out in strips along the meat before rolling it up. It's very good that way and makes a pretty design when carved.

DammitJanet

I would think that Walmart being a chain would have similar things in their frozen food section and these were frozen. Maybe just call and ask them if they are getting any in.

K

Kjs

A lady at work gets farm raised chickens, ducks and eggs from her next door neighbor//farmer. He is inspected, therefore the ducks and chickens are frozen. There are several men that I work with that order the ducks from her and really like them. They admit it is a "man thing". I can filet a fish...If I have a good deboning knife I can do this. Just very slowly.

They don't want to order it. Said it is too expensive. My family has been asking for it for quite some time. So, I said I would just make two. Now, since I work noon to midnight, my family decided to go with deep fried turkey. Either make it themselves or go out. difficult child even said he is eating Turkey on Thanksgiving.

as far as the Turducken, I thought of bringing it to a butcher, but the duck will be frozen. I can't thaw out the birds until it is time to make it. I am sure the butcher will be busy at that time.

Turkey, a layer of stuffing, duck, a layer of stuffing, chicken. That is the recipe I saw. Then when you turn it over you can't even tell the turkey is deboned. Keeping the legs and wings on. Just breaking the joint and deboning the body of the Turkey, careful not to puncture the skin. but it says to stick your hands between the meat and the skin to rub in seasoning. I'm not big on garlic and that was one of the spices. Everyone at work is excited about this. I was told the duck is greasy, but being deboned...not as greasy. Just was wondering if anyone has done it. Looks like cooking time is not nearly as long as if just the whole turkey. I love to cook.