Unreal

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
easy child left just yesterday. She gave me **** about taking care of her piggy. So I went in this evening to feed him. husband put water in last night and he was fine and had food. Tonight dead. What the heck is up with that? No way is she gonna believe he died right after she left. I mean she will but she will give me heck about him being in my care and dying.

husband is getting a box ready for burial. Ugh.

beth

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
less than a year old. I just couldn't believe it. Everytime I put my hand in there he always jumped around because for some reason he was a one person piggy. So when he didn't move tonight I was definately suspicious.

I just keep shaking my head. Poor Casanova.

beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well that's weird. Could he have gotten too hot or too much sun?? Piggies don't do well in the sun, need plenty of shade and mud to keep from getting sunburnt.

Poor lil guy. :(

I'm guessing he hadn't been acting strange??

((hugs))

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
lisa it is a guinea piggy. no sun for him. I don't know what happend. I keep telling husband that I am somehow over the next few weeks going to find a way to blame him for it. He just sighed and said he knew that already.

beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
oh. Maybe he was older than you thought??

Poor lil piggie. Must have been sick and you didn't know.

((hugs))

Marguerite

UNless you fed him something he shouldn't have (some types of lettuce are poisonous to guinea pigs) then chances are, it could have been stress (easy child leaving, and being a one person guinea pig) or maybe just getting old. Guinea pigs don't live very long.

My vote is either stress, or something he ate/drank. They are incredibly fussy - chemical sprays can contaminate their dishes and can be enough. Or sometimes they just get sick suddenly.

Check the teeth - if a guinea pig's teeth are not meeting properly, they can overgrow and not grind against each other, so the guinea pig eventually starves because they can't eat properly. It's not always easy to spot when this is happening, but not quite a year old - that could be a possible cause too, because it can take that long for the misshapen teeth to overgrow enough to be a problem. And if thta was a problem, easy child should have spotted it and taken the guinea pig to the vet to get his teeth rasped back down. Long-term, a guinea pig with teeth not wearing properly either needs a jaw realighnment or frequent trips to the vet lifelong, to keep cutting the teeth back.

So have a look at the teeth. The ones to check out are thelongest ones at the front (top and bottom). The molars - less likely, but check them out as well.

I hope for your sake it's the teeth. Then you can blame easy child. Or the poor thing's bad genes.

Marg