Unreal...

H

HaoZi

Okay... sightless person. Microscope. This person is teaching science? Hate to see how they would teach some other classes with that kind of "logic."

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm still trying to get past the microscope thing, too.

I guess wordfinds would help with reading, for someone who could see...

buddy

I'd be tempted to attend a meeting wearing a tshirt that read: You can't fix stupid

Wow. Just ... Wow

Or, bring a microscope, and a bunch of word finds and a BLINDFOLD....put the blinfold on teacher and ask her to show how she wants the assignments done so she can make sure her son does it the exact same way.

susiestar

Roll With It
While I agree this is totally ridiculous on the part of the teacher, I don't agree about wordfinds.

Yes, they CAN be a filler activity. Reality? They help students with spelling, esp if they are well done. I know my dad didn't use them with everyone all the time (he taught jr high science and NEVER got any of the "gifted" kids the other teachers fought over. He thought it was a stupid fight and most kids could do well. He was right = he got the :low achievers" to do things like algebra, trigonometry and very advanced experiments that some of the kids in AP chemistry in my high school couldn't do. And they understood what they were doing and could explain it to other people.) Dad DID use them with science terms when the kids were having trouble with spelling AND/OR when they were having trouble simply remembering terms. He used to make his own and each word was in there spelled correctly and at least one time incorrectly. How do I know? He and I wrote the program to produce them back when the very first steps above the TR(a)S(h) 80 and commodore 64 were available. Later he used a commercial program to make them, but I wrote most of that first one because he was learning coding from me.

Word finds have a legitimate purpose even if most teachers use them for fun and filler. Lots of what makes something a learning tool is knowing how and when to use it.

in my opinion the teacher of the blind student earned her own F for the semester - talk about a boneheaded mistake!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG. been there done that waaaaaaaaay too many times. Actually had the same issue a few times. Like DUH. It's a no brainer folks.

Now watch, Mom will be in all warrior mom mode, and teacher will cover her fanny by saying ohhhhhhh, it was a mistake, she didn't realize.......blah blah blah.

That a science teacher doesn't spot the obvious that a blind student would be unable to use a microscope is disturbing. On any level. She needs her license to teach pulled.

Mean? maybe. But you sit through these types of meetings over and over and over and over and over again.......and yeah.

What's really scary? When the director of the Special Education Services does it. Repeatedly.