difficult child 1 broke 6 rules today.
follow directions when redirected

1. Not putting forth effort
2. Failure to follow directions when redirected
3. Excessive talking after being warned
4. Disrupting class inside classroom
5. Not paying attention after warning
6. Disrespectful/Negative attitude or comments

What is wrong with this kid. Has he completely lost his mind. I don't understand him. He knows he is looking at going to alternative school if he keeps this up. How long will it be before I see a difference with his new medication. It is Invega, will it happen soon.

Any advice.

Jena

Hi,

I'm sorry he had such a rough day, and your upset. it can take a while with some medications. Did you go to that link I gave you last time?? I didn't read it I just copied and pasted it. Have you contacted the dr at all also??

(((hugs))))

weenie1

crazy mom
I put in a call and I am just waiting. She had said that she would probably have to increase his dose to 6mg. I am thinking about doing that in the morning. I don't think it would hurt. I am just so tired, I don't know how you guys do it. I am trying to take it one day at a time. I guess it might be easier if I did'nt have my own demons to deal with. I checked out the site I was just hoping it would kick in fast, so much for wishfull thinking,lol.

Andy

One thing I had a hard time doing was seeing my kids' age. I always looked at each child as their own person and sometimes forgot to take their age into account. Remember that your difficult child doesn't have a clue as to what is going on. He does not think rationally about all of this. He lives in the moment, no planning or thinking.

So, take a deep breath and look at his age. You have to do the thinking for him. Don't give him too much of an explanation or it will give him more opportunities to ask questions. "Go to your room" "Why?" "You need alone time" "Why?" "You need alone time". Asking questions is a stall technique. You can also use, "You need to do this now. We will talk about it later." "Why?" "We will talk later."

Hang in there. I know it is super hard and "text book" techniques do not always work. Where are the experts now that the child isn't reacting as the book says?

Sending lots of strength to you. Stay the course.

TerryJ2

So sorry, Weenie.
I've never heard of that medication.
Let us know how it works out tomorrow after you increase his dose.

weenie1

crazy mom
Well difficult child 1 did good at school today. He was on good behavior, I guess doubling up on his dosage helped. I just hope it keeps up. I will be able to watch him the next 2 days so I will be able to tell if it is working. I will keep yawl updated.

klmno

Yep- I'm going through it with my son right now too- different behaviors, but same "self-destructive" choices. It happens when Bipolar starts to rear its ugly head, at least with my difficult child.

Jena

hi,

i'm glad to hear he had a better day , the medications do take time. you can do it even with your demons LOL. your very capable and a good mom just hold onto those good moments when you can, that's what i do to sail me thru the bad ones.

we're in the medication game rightnow as well. increased 3x in one week and still no affect. it does take time. i just dont' know about that medication at all.