Ups and downs.

Jabberwockey

Hey everyone. Hope you all are doing good so far this week. Lil and I are ok, just recovering from a rather strange four day weekend. My dad had scheduled surgery on Friday. He has Parkinsons and there is an implant they put in the brain that has been having pretty good results on controlling the tremors. Doesn't stop the progression of the disease, but does allow better function for a while. That was successful but has obviously had me a bit on edge for a while. On top of that, our furbaby Suzie has been fighting bladder cancer since late June/early July. Dad has another outpatient surgery tomorrow to put in the battery pack for the device and they will program in in mid-January. He came home Sunday and is doing well.

A few months ago it spread to her brain causing seizures and while we had her boarded at the vet while we were at the hospital with my dad, we discovered that it had spread to her bone marrow as well. Low red blood cells for a dog is 5.1 and hers was at 1.5. The vet was amazed that she was conscious and moving around. We debated and came to the decision that it was better for her to pass in our arms at the vet rather than maybe pass away right after we leave for work, laying next to her brother all day. We had her put to sleep yesterday morning. She will be missed and forever in our hearts.

so ready to live

So sorry Lil and Jabber. We too have put one to sleep this yr., he was 14+ and it was much harder this time, either we've become bigger saps or when you're older they really become your kids...

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Lil & Jabber, I'm so very sorry for the loss of Suzie, I know how difficult it is.
And, Jabber, I hope your Dad has excellent results from the implant.
Sending hugs to you both......

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Lil & Jabber:

So sorry for your furry baby loss. It is so very difficult. I always comforted myself knowing that our pups had a wonderful life and were loved. That is more than we can say for some people!

Great to hear about your dad. I saw that procedure on TV and it looks very promising!

:group-hug:

pasajes4

My furbaby is my friend and my protector...all 6 pounds of him. He has woken me up when I was on the verge of a diabetic coma. I can't even imagine the sorrow of his passing.

My heart goes out to you and Liz. Our pets are as loved and important as any human family member.

How wonderful that your father is able to benefit from this technology. I wish it would have been available for my father. It is a very cruel disease.

Lil

Thanks folks for the well wishes for my father in law and kind words about our little girl. She was such a sweet, funny little dog. We still have her brother and I am a tad worried about him, as he's almost 13, blind, and never away from her for more than a few days ever. It's going to be an adjustment for all of us. Jabber and I knew it was the right thing to do but truthfully, I keep finding myself teary today. Went home at lunch to walk our little boy, just so he wouldn't be home alone all day. It's too quiet...which is odd because it's not like dogs are all that noisy.

Yep...fur babies become your kids. We miss her.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Oh my my what a week for you and Lil. I am so glad to hear your father in law is dong well and so very sorry to hear of the loss of your fur baby.

I made a very selfless decision and adopted out our 2 Fur Babies. They were suffering from the stress in our environment and one had GI issues that were not getting better. I work such long hours as does my husband and he tracels with work. I fostered them out to a friend who had recently lost her dog. When I went to visits they were so well adjusted and content we made the decision to leave them be. My girlfriend and her husband are extremely happy. She takes them to work every day as whey run their own shop.
My heart is lonely and the house is empty but it was the best thing for the babies.

I am fortunate as I do get frequent updates lots of pictures and visitation time.

They were my sons dogs. He has only aknowledged their absence once and very briefly. They are his best buddies for years before he started drugging. Then he was as nasty to the. As he was to us.

I miss them but know they are in a better place.

Copabanana

oh. what a bittersweet thing. so much love. so much loss.

my animals dominate and organize my life.

i am very, very sorry for your loss, jabber and lil.

Crayola13

1. So sorry about your pet. Last year we had our cat put to sleep due to multiple cancer and health problems. It was gut wrenching. We kept her comfortable as long as we could. Now we have two black kittens who won't be kittens much longer. They are a riot! They make us very happy, but our first cat will always be the most special.
  2. I really hope the implant helps your dad's tremors. Tremors are so aggravating. Valium helps, but people work up a tolerance and it loses its potency after a while.

Lil

They were my sons dogs. He has only aknowledged their absence once and very briefly. They are his best buddies for years before he started drugging.

Our two were the "family" dogs...or so we said. Truth was our son, though we got them as puppies when he was about 10 years old, never really considered them "his" pets. He did claim the cat. He didn't really care that much about the dogs one way or the other I think - they annoyed him. Maybe if they'd been big dogs he could wrestle and toss sticks for...but Boston's are more of a "in-the-house, sit on your lap" breed. When he saw my Facebook post, he actually texted me and told me how sorry he was. I was floored. He would never have shown such consideration for our feelings a year ago. Little things like that mean so much.

AppleCori

I’m very sorry to hear of your dog’s passing.

I have had to put two dogs to sleep, and my older daughter recently had to put one of hers to sleep, so I know how you feel....

I have recently spent $200 on vet bills for my youngest daughter’s mice!

Our pets are part of our family....

New Leaf

Lil and Jabber, I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers for your peace of mind as your beloved Suzie has crossed over the rainbow bridge.
Best wishes for your father, Jabber. Praying for success of his treatment and good health.
When he saw my Facebook post, he actually texted me and told me how sorry he was. I was floored. He would never have shown such consideration for our feelings a year ago. Little things like that mean so much.
So wonderful to hear. The little things do mean so much. Glad to know your son is coming round the corner.
(((HUGS)))
Leafy

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad your dad is able to be helped with this new surgery and technology.

I am so sorry about your furbaby. It is always so hard when you lose a loved one. You were right to not put her brother through possibly having to be next to her all day though. That would be very traumatic for him. She was an amazing dog to cope so amazingly with cancer like that!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Jabber and Lil,

I'm so sorry for the loss of sweet fur baby. It's never easy saying goodbye to them. ((HUGS)) to you both!!

Jabber, I'm glad the surgery went well for your dad. You've had a rough few weeks.

I have always loved the poem the Rainbow Bridge.
upload_2017-12-14_8-6-53.png

Jabberwockey

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Dad had the second surgery yesterday and in spite of the outpatient procedure turning into an overnight stay, it was successful. Next appointment is in a month, after everything heals, to "program" the implant.