WASC IV IQ scaled scores vs composite scores

eddar

Dear forumites,

My first post here. I am trying to understand the difference between a Scaled Score and a Composite Score on an IQ test. For instance, What is the difference between a Scaled Full Scale IQ score of 61 and a Composite Full Scale IQ score of 74? What is the main reason that a conversion from a Scaled Score to the Composite Score is necessary?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

LittleDudesMom

Eddar,
here you go -

Standard Score (SS)
Educational and psychological total test results are re-expressed in Standard Scores, where the mean (i.e., average) is set to be 100. In general, the examiner determines the total correct responses (with or without a correction for guessing) to obtain a "raw score." The raw score is then converted to the Standard Score using charts and tables that are provided with each test.

Scaled Score
Scaled Scores have a mean (or average) score of 10 with a Standard Deviation of 3. Thus, a Scaled Score of 13is ABOVE the AVERAGE. On the WISC-III, Scaled Scores on the sub-tests are used to make up the total or Composite Score " on the WISC-III, this is called the Full Scale IQ Score.

Hope this helps.

*Sharon