Watching Oprah? More on Bipolar

ck1

I wonder why there's SO much in the media about this now? I think it can be good, knowledge is power, but this is the third time in a week, kinda surprising.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I saw previews of Oprah with Sinead O'Connor and her diagnosis of bipolar. It certainly isn't a surprise.
I haven't watched it though.
It is good to pull diagnosis' out of the mental illness closet. As long as it's mysterious it makes mental illness scary and almost untouchable. We all know differently. Almost everyone is touched by mental illness in themselves, their families or extended family. It's only untouchable because it's kept hidden.
So whatever their reasoning for coming forward, more power to them. Same with children who suffer neuropsychiatric disorders. No hiding them or making excuses for their developmental lags. They are who they are. They have value and worth and are entitled to living a life free of ignorant judgements.

goldenguru

The whole show was awesome. My heart broke for the big ol teddy bear dad who choked back his tears to whisper "I'm so sorry".

tinamarie1

That was so sad, the dad/ husband who sat on his porch crying because he isn't allowed to be alone with his own children as they are afraid of him. He definitely feels like a huge burden to his family. So sad.
I kind of laughed when Oprah asked his mother, so what can fix this? And she named off all the medications they have been on (actually there are so many she couldn't remember)..and she said its all trial and error and they haven't found the one that works yet. Don't we all know this feeling?

wakeupcall

I think it's important to remember that there are those who don't have severe bipolar, but still are bipolar. There are different levels of all these disorders, some severe and some not so severe. The gentelman on the show was obviously a severe case. My heart went out to him and his family. I could hear the desperation in his mother's voice...haven't we all been in that position? I'm glad it's being talked about. Perhaps with more openess about these disorders, more will be done to help.