Weird Question

Jere

I am sorry I have had some off questions but I am wonding if this has to do with my son's ADHD or sensory issues. Maybe neither one. But from as far back as I can remember he has to take something from home with him EVERYWHERE he goes. Or when he is watching a movie he wants something to hold while watching. So the movie thing is like this, when he watches Cars he goes looking for all the cars from the movie in his room and has them with him. If he is watching Priates of the Carb. he will have the action figure with him. When he goes even to school he wants something, toy a drawing anything pretty much. I avoid toys because he can't have them at school but a lot of the time he tries to sneak them in his backpack. Maybe it is just his personality, I was just wondering.

Catwmn

My Autistic Son Christian has to "clutch" something from home everywhere he goes. He has had the same beanie baby cat for 4 years. It goes EVERYWHERE with him and he even sleeps with it.

I have never figured out why....

Star*

call 911........call 911
Welcome Alaska -

My son (now 17) used to do that exact same thing. If we watched a dinosaur movie - he ran and got all his dinos, blanket with dinos, stuffed dinos, and spread them out in front of the TV - and shared the moment with all them.

If it were a show about dump trucks - the dump truck was there. The dump truck went to the beach, it went to the store - it went everywhere. For a while it was a stuffed puppy.

He always had to have something from home with him until he was about - 9 maybe. Then he got into riding bikes with some of the neighborhood kids and it stopped.

For my son it was a sense of security - he went to camp and someone stole his blanket, pillow and stuffed puppy when he was 8 and he could not cope. I had to send a pillow from home, and a replacement puppy. I likened it to a pacifier. I really didn't mind - actually it kept him occupied on long trips if he packed his own knapsack - he would fill it with crayons, coloring books, little toy cars - he was great on long trips as he amused himself.

At 7 - I wouldn't put too much thought into it. I agree with the poster that said there may be some separation anxieties. IF it persists and really bothers you I'd take it up with a psychologist.

Mostly he sounds like a sweet 7 year old to me.

Welcome to the board -
Star

Funny you should mention that, Jere. (and by the way, there is NO such thing as an off question in this house!)

My daughter, who will be 7 in a couple weeks, does much the same. Not religiously, but she drag out the SpongeBob blanket when SpongeBob is on. And she talks to SpongeBob the whole time. She has her Barbies out when she is watching one of her Barbie movies. And she has them acting out the movie. And she is forEVER trying to sneak a toy into her backpack.

I attributed it to only-child-ism. And I wonder of that will change with your son when your little guy is old enough to really play with your big boy.

Just another point of view.

wethreepeeps

My son is nine and does something kind of similar. I know he's just emulating me, but it drives me batty. Whenever we go out, he wants to take his wallet (stuffed with expired coupons and paper), his "keys" (metal measuring spoons) and his cell phone (toy cell phone). The only problem is all three of the items never make it back home, he drops or loses them, then we have a meltdown over a 3 dollar toy cell phone. He's obsessed with them. He's got about 6 at any given time, and whenever I let him pick a toy at the dollar store, he picks another cell phone.

Star*

call 911........call 911
BBK - I had not thought about ONLY childism - very good OPV.

ANd the little fella who takes the measuring spoons for keys ? Get him a carbiner (like a rock climbing clip) you can get them at the Dollar store too - and hook his little spoons on his pants loop.

Oh for the days of my child emulating ME.....maybe again at 30?

-He has such a quick wit and great sense of humor - but all I see lately is the BLACK CLOUD OF TEENAGER DOOOOOOOOM. (bwah ha ha)
If I had ever been as dark as him I'm sure my knick name would have been burnt toast.

Marguerite

My younger three - definitely. I thought this was normal. isn't it? because it's common in our house. Less so with the older ones, although easy child 2/difficult child 2 is obsessed with Pirates of the Caribbean and will dress up while watching the films. And she's 21! difficult child 1 will play with his expensive replica light saber while watching Star Wars...

So if this isn't normal, maybe it's a facet of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) - because that doesn't just run in our family, it gallops!

Marg

Adrift

I have such fond memories of trying to dash out the door in the morning only to be stopped by my son wanting to bring something with him. It drove me crazy at the time but now I wish he'd do it again once in a while! I think this is a sweet way to keep home with him all day long...

Fran

Former desparate mom
My son always has had to take something from his collection with him. As he grew up he used it as a social "hook".
He would start a conversation by showing his car,dinosaur,book, gadget. Smart compensation if you ask me.

He always had something important to him with him. Still does. His belt jingles with a big bunch of things clipped to him.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Errrmmm...I've been schlepping around an Army surplus document bag for forty years.

My keys are on an insurance company keyring my dad gave me to play with when I was a baby and he worked for them.

One good thing to be said is that I NEVER forget either my "purse" or my keys.

The items aren't attached to any specific home for me. They're more like attached to my sense of "personhood" and I don't feel comfortable without them.

mandy615

My soon to be 20 yo daughter has her pink "Minky" at school with her. It's the pink blanket she had as a baby. And she's my easy child! Whatever it takes!