What a difference a year makes!

lovemyson1

Hey all,

Just wanna share my joy with each of you!

Last year at this time, our son was skin & bones, injecting heroin into his veins, stealing, homeless & hopeless. Our hearts were shattered and our hopes and dreams for our athletic, handsome & charismatic son were slipping far far from ever being a reality. We were in complete dispare.

Today, he is strong, healthy, even muscular. He is excited about life and his future! He spent the weekend with us and we all went to the gym together and he challenged his father in bench press. We swam in our pool, had meaningful & thoughtful conversations about his future, had meals together, prayed together.. it was so good!

We took him to court and he stood there in a very nice suit, hair styled perfectly, big bright and respectful smile. He asked the court to expunge his record and dismiss his probation so that he can enter the military. They read his letters of recommendation as well as his own apologetic letter and they said that it was commendable. They asked only that he have the recruiter call them to verify that he indeed is seeking military for his life choice. They said once they hear from him, they have no problem clearing his record. It's a miracle! It's a precious 2nd chance at life!! How wonderful and amazing life can be for our Difficult Child's if they only get clean and begin to change their life.

We've shed many tears and had sleepless nights, times I was holding back tears at work.. so much worry. And today, I feel so elated! So blessed and thankful!!

I don't know what the future holds for my son. The military scares me. But I do know that I've trusted God to save him and protect him and He did and He will. I know I never have had control and never will.

The Victory Outreach program is so very amazing!! He has learned responsibilities and self-respect. He has worked very hard and grown tremendously!

August 26th, will be exactly one year that he entered that home with scars up and down his arms from his poor choices. He had the police after him. He was destined for death or jail. What a difference a year makes.

Thank you all for being there for me. I wish for each of us to experience the joy of our Difficult Child's to make the decision to change their life.

Copabanana

What a beautiful post! I am thrilled for all of you, especially for your beloved son. I think the military is a great idea. I hope however he does his research to negotiate the best possible terms for himself. I understand that there is a contract, and he can get training, placements, etc. that he negotiates--and they are bound by it.

I hope he does research (maybe online?)of how others have negotiated the best (and safest) career choices. Let us know how it goes.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Thank God that one is saved! So happy for you. I only hope that more of us can follow with such wonderful news.

Do you think it was the religious aspect that influenced him? I wish I could get my son into something like that. I feel he needs spirituality.

Last edited:

lovemyson1

Yes, thank God! Thank you all for your sweet remarks! Copa, you're right, he needs to pick the smartest safest route in the Military! We've been telling him this and will continue to support that. Thanks!

lovemyson1

RN, yes I do believe that God changed my son and kept him this entire year. The Holy Spirit is powerful and is with us always. However, some people can quit without this help too!

lovemyson1

Aww! My heart is over flowing with love for all of you! It has been a very long, difficult road. I remember 2 years ago when I first found this site. It's true, Somewhere, I was so desperate and so very scared, heartbroken and discouraged. But the folks here helped me tremendously! Gosh, seriously, you all gave me the best advice and warm encouragement! You also gave me hard, blunt truth that I needed to hear! I needed that!! I truly am thankful for this and for each of you who took the time to answer my questions and support me during that difficult time. It's true, Worried Sick Mother, he has a great testimony! His test has become his testimony. His mess is now his message. He wants to help others and already has in the men's home. I hope my son's miraculous change gives others here hope and encouragement.

Now, I know that there's that chance he can relapse and I'm still guarded. But I also know that I have today to celebrate how healthy and happy he is, how excited he is for his future and how I know he is drug-free, strong and alive! I don't have to worry if he's hungry, cold, going to overdose or get beat up in the streets. God I'm so grateful for that.

I will keep you all updated as he transitions to the next phase of working part-time and either entering the military or going to sober living. He's coming home for a family vacation in August. It will be the first time in a long time that both our daughters and son will be with us together. :inlove::inlove::inlove:

AppleCori

LMS1,

I am so happy for you!

Your son has a great life ahead!

He is an inspiration and a hope for all of us!

Please keep close and let us know how it goes!

Apple

New Leaf

Lovemyson what wonderful, wonderful news.I am very happy for you and your family and especially your son. May God continue to bless, keep and protect him.
(((HUGS)))
Leafy

That is so wonderful! It's great to have recovery stories on here. My son also has been clean since March of 2015. He is serving God, holds a full-time job and is diligent about it and loves it. He moved back home. It was a terrible feeling to wake up in the mornings and wonder if he was home. I am so thankful. I know it helps others on this board to be able to read stories like this.

AppleCori

That is so wonderful! It's great to have recovery stories on here. My son also has been clean since March of 2015. He is serving God, holds a full-time job and is diligent about it and loves it. He moved back home. It was a terrible feeling to wake up in the mornings and wonder if he was home. I am so thankful. I know it helps others on this board to be able to read stories like this.

Glad to hear that your son is doing great, as well!

Keep posting!

Apple

lovemyson1

Today the courts dropped his probation and expunged his record! It's a wonderful miracle! This week he tests for military and plans to start in January. He moves to next phase of VO working and having those freedoms while living in sober Christian environment until then. Needless to say, I'm over the moon!