What are you reading lately?

DDD

I received two books for Christmas. Bridge of Sighs by Russo was an interesting read. I tend to think you have to be a bit older to enjoy it but maybe not. The second one I don't even remember the title, lol. It's about Hedy Lamaar the actress and inventor. Just couldn't wrap my head around it although it's been on suggested reading lists for the past month. I put it aside about midway.

Anybody enjoying new reads? DDD

LittleDudesMom

I just finished "Red Mist" (Patricia Cornwell) and getting ready to start "Into the Darkest Corner" (Elizabeth Haynes). I am a real Kay Scarpeta fan and jumped at the newest easy child novel -- it was a slow start, for me, but really picked up and got interesting about 1/3 of the way through. The second book got some great reviews, so we'll see.

Sharon

Kathy813

Staff member
I just finished Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century. I found it as I was browsing for a Kindle book from my library. Since I like biographies, I downloaded it. Wow, they had unbelievable lives. The sad part was that they were both raging alcoholics.

InsaneCdn, the nice part about the Kindle is that you can make the text as big as you need it for those aging eyes. LOL

S

Signorina

11/22/63 was the last great book I read! Loved it! Bought it based on friends' recommendations...it's by Steven King and I am not a fan of scary books.

However, there is nothing scary about it. It's a time travel tale of a man who travels back to stop JFKs Assassination. Really a good, long epic tale.

Over the weekend, I read Rob Lowes autobio & it was just ok. Nothing juicy.

exhausted

I read several young adult books over Christmas break to get ready for school this second half. I read "Too Stressed to Think", and a really good book that details the suicide of a teen after a drunk driving incident called "Tears of a Tiger". I also revisited old favorites, "Rolling Thunder Hear my Cry" (black history-share cropping) and "Summer of the Monkeys". Oldies but goodies!

Nothing in the way of stuff for me!

DDD

Geez, Exhausted, what interesting teen reading subjects. I assume the goal is to absorb the need to face social issues...but I'm from the old classic era. on the other hand I have read that there are lists of suggested teen books and likely I would enjoy exploring those lists. Maybe I should do that. DDD

DammitJanet

I am going to download the last two James Patterson books in the next couple of days to read plus I would love to get some more Faye Kellerman books. I love her.

Exhausted, do you like Patterson's books for the middle school crowd?

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm on the third book of the Game of Thrones series. I got hooked on it when I watched the first season of the new HBO series, and had to read the books. Love them. I don't think I'll be able to read anything else until I get through all of them!

While I was waiting to borrow the third GoT book from a friend, I started to read Jaycee Dugard's book,which Youngest had left at my house. I got about halfway through, and it was both fascinating and horrifying. I admire that young woman's incredible strength, but I'm honestly just not sure I can finish it.

muttmeister

So far this year I've read 3 of Robert Ludlum's earliest books (I tend to find an author I like and read everything, starting with the earliest and going forward). I also read Cass Timberlane by Sinclair Lewis, Ha! by John Shore, Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell, Green, Green My Valley Now by Richard Llewellyn, and The Kalahari Typing School for Men by Alexander McCall Smith. Next on my pile is Possession by A.S. Byatt. Book Club this month is reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot and One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. I read the Janaeat Evanovich book several years ago but I love her stuff and we decided to read it so we can have a field trip to the movie when it comes here. A couple of weeks ago we went to the movie, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as we had read all three of those books earlier. We always laugh that we're not really a book club, we're a wine drinking and movie going club that reads a few books on the side. But I enjoy is so that's all that matters I guess.

Kathy813

Staff member
exhausted, each teacher at my school has an advisement group and we were grouped by interest. Since I love to read, I chose to mentor a book club. The students in the advisement group pick a book to read and we have a discussion once a month. So far, we have read Hunger Games (which I had already read and loved), Unwind (a fascinating book), and Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie.

I was surprised at how good the young adult literature has been. I look forward to reading the books each month. This month we choose The Host by the Twilight author. I have already read it but it was a while ago so I will have to read it again. A different student leads the discussion each month. I am really enjoying the book club. Another plus is that the students who choose to be in a book club tend to be very good students and well behaved!

S

Signorina

Just a quick thought - a friend turned me on to Pixel of Ink a site that offers free and bargain books for Kindle and Nook ... Free & Bargain Kindle Books | Pixel of Ink

You can sign up for daily emails...

Not always books I want to read...but once in a while ...I find something I like or a cookbook. And since they're free, I am not picky. YMMV!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I just finished reading Footprints. It was a very good fiction book that takes place in Kenya and deals with traditions especially the tradition of circumcision for girls. It was a very good read about a very tough subject. It is our book club book for this month and we are going to get to meet the author. She is a teacher here in our district and lived in Kenya as a peace corp volunteer.

The book I'm reading right now is The Likeness: A Novel by Tana French. It is a suspense book and beautifully written. It is the second book I've read by her. The other was In the Woods also a suspense book. Both books took place in Ireland. Some of the characters are the same in both books.

KTMom91

Recently finished The Land of Painted Caves by Jean Auel; I've read the other ones in the series. This one could have done without the soap opera romance, otherwise, it was interesting. I have Jaycee Dugard's book but haven't found time yet to read it.

I've reviewed 6 books this month, and have two more to write up. Motivational difficulties...