What color should I paint my bedroom?

witzend

It's in the same color family as the rest of my house, a beige. What can I paint it that won't clash, but won't be brown?

Marguerite

My sister painted her room a colour called pumpkin, I thought it was going to look awful but it looked fabulous, especially with sepia-toned posters everywhere.

Or you could go for Regency colours - the deep red coupled with a dark green, maybe a hint of gold and white?

My parents chose beige for the walls of the living room because everything goes with beige. Then they chose beige for the curtains, because everything goes with beige. Then the carpets - they were beige too, because everything goes with beige. I lived my live in a beige nightmare and perhaps that is why I have a yellow house like van Gogh... with a royal blue and emerald bathroom.

Question - did you intend this for Watercooler?

Marg

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ah I hope you know JUST how much I care about your bedroom it took me over 25 minutes to go out on the web, look for this color thing from Benjamin and Moore down load it try it out...then copy it and come back here and wait for THIS site to re-load and paste this thing here..lol (I'm dropp kicking this puppy across the yard in a few months when I can afford a new computer) ugh.

Okay - the pumpkin Marg is talking about is STUNNING - I love pumpkin and turquoise and the deep cherry red etc in a home - together it is breathtaking - have to see it - but yes, it's lovely. See picture #1 under bedrooms. I like the beige walls with the cream trim - and the colors in the bathroom called Something gray - I think it's example#4 -

I was thinking - an ICE blue - with white trim- I don't know if you have high or low ceilings or wood or painted trim - BUT - A friend of mine has vaulted ceilings and beige berber and beige everything and did a room in this ice blue - and it made her bedroom just the most placid, peaceful room in the whole house - and lit it up in the winter time - very dark end of the house....when she put it on I thought - uhhh whatever..but it was very beautiful - her trim was white - her spread was sand and blue and her wall hangings were all children at the beach framed in white - nice but her taste not mine. Looked lovely though.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I vote for blue as well... Perhaps what they call "country blue", only a lighter shade? Then you can also pair it with beige and mauve... Southwestern style. And super soothing, too.

KTMom91

My living room is a grayed blue, with cream (I think it's actually called Magnolia) woodwork and ceiling. Very calming, beach-type colors. I researched what a typical "front room" for a house built in the 20's would look like, and came up with this color combo.

Along the same lines, I have a black raspberry bathroom.

Marguerite

I just bought some paint today for a garden feature I'm working on. I chose two contrasting colours - a sand yellow called butter, and a stronger blue, a sort of greyer sky blue. I got the yellow in a matte and the blue in a gloss.

I chose the colours to match our bricks (since the feature is outside, I wanted it to at least partly reflect the colour of the house). Our bricks are a yellow with what looks like blue-grey glass in it, glossy patches constrasting against the yellow of the sandstocks. An antique look.

So look around your house, inside and out. WHat windows are in the room you want to paint? What is growing outside the window? Is there a flowering tree or a tree with good foliage colour? Is there a garden bed where you could put in a plant with strong colour? You could then use a matching colour as a trim inside the room, to make the view look like an extension of the decoration inside.

I'm inspired - we went out to the new super-large hardware store today and they also happened to be making an episode of a home-maker's TV show there today (and tomorrow) so there were a lot of designer ideas etc there. The idea of linking in the colours inside to colours in the view outside is something they talk about on this TV show.

Just another thought.

Marg

DammitJanet

Im partial to something in the blue family. With sandy beige touches. I think it would be something like Star said. You could do sort of a beach theme. With the sand and coral and light blue.

susiestar

Roll With It
What about a soft lemony yellow? That color that you get when you beat egg yolks with butter and sugar for about 5-6 minutes? It would be light and airy and happy.

donna723

Hey Witz, check this one out -

http://seek.autodesk.com/product/latest/agg/autodeskbim/SherwinWilliams/14086

It's Sherwin Williams Copen Blue SW0068. It's a pale, pale blue but appears just a hair darker when you actually see it on a wall. I saw this in a decorating magazine and it was GORGEOUS! I thought it was so pretty, I had to look in the back of the magazine to see what shade it was. It showed it used in a bedroom with white bedding and white woodwork and sheer white curtains. The whole affect was so restful and so relaxing, it would be like sleeping in a big cloud!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
There is a computer program you can get at Lowe's - I think I paid 4.99. You down load it, take a picture of the room you are planning on painting and download that and you can see all different kinds of paints with the room.

Its kinda cool - I have it on my computer - will ask Jamie if I can send it in a file.

Marcie