What does it cost a district to place a child in another district?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Shari, Apr 21, 2009.

  1. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    Anyone have any idea what the dollar figure is? For amusement's sake, leave off any special needs. Just a straight up student.
  2. slsh

    slsh member since 1999

    Shari - I would guess it depends on the receiving district. Don't quote me, but I believe the SD's share of my difficult child's education in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) was approx $157/day, but that was in a therapeutic school.
  3. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

    I'm going to look at an alternative school. I'm going to try to go tomorrow.

    This is not working.

    My other thought is to apply for a para job. Seriously.
  4. slsh

    slsh member since 1999

    Hey Shari - I was just looking up something for someone else and discovered that on the ISBE site (Ill. State Board of Ed.) they have a listing of nonpublic ISBE-approved schools, including Special Education by category, and the listing has the per diem for each school. Your state might have a similar listing - be a good resource to find out what placement options there are as well as cost to SD. Just a thought. ;)
  5. Shari

    Shari IsItFridayYet?

  6. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    In our area, which is more small town and not as expensive as a big city, it is $6000. However, our state allows the parents open enrollment. For three weeks, we can sign our kids up for another school district, as long as we provide transportation. If we do it that way, it doesn't cost US anything. The district has to pay :redface:
  7. tiredmommy

    tiredmommy Site Moderator

    I dunno the per student cost in my district off the top of my head but I do know that Duckie's school is looking to do more services in-house (ABA, etc) so as to not need to pay out to send students out of district and bring in more out-of-district special needs kids.
  8. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator

    In our county SD (suburb of Washington, Difficult Child), it costs approximately $10,000 for a student to attend out-of-district. But that is a non-Special Education student. A Special Education student would obviously cost a whole lot more.
  9. SRL

    SRL Active Member

    The cost should not deter you in any way. All that matters here is that your district is required by federal law to provide an appropriate educational setting for difficult child. If they cannot do so within the district, then they must pay for it to happen elsewhere.
  10. Marguerite

    Marguerite Active Member

    Shari, you shouldn't have to do this.

    BUT - I consider any time and effort I put in to difficult child 3, to be an investment in his future. If it means putting my life on hold for a while, then so be it.

    Not all of us can afford this luxury.

    I hope you get osme help for him, soon.

    difficult child 3 had some rough times at about this age (and for a few years beyond). He is now, at 15, really beginning to verbalise his anger over how he was treated, not just by other kids but by "teachers who would not listen or give me a fair go". Given half a chance, I suspect difficult child 3 would want to sue them all. And while I'd be punching the air at this one too, I wouldn't want it to happen, because he needs to not live in the pain of the past, but to grow in spite of it and become a success. The best revenge.

  11. totoro

    totoro Mom? What's a GFG?

    Our School just had an open forum for SD budget info, one of the topics was open enrollment and how much our SD makes per student, it was $5000 per student.
    But we are a very small SD, 16-17 to 1 ratio and only 4 Schools total, upper and lower.