When will I learn to listen

Wiped Out

Staff member
to my dr.? He said I probably shouldn't go to work this week because of my back. See the probably part was the problem. I figured I was feeling a bit better today and could try it. Worked for awhile. As the day went on with no pain killers it was a bit worse. By the time I had difficult child at his psychiatrist appointment. omg-it hurt. When I got home and out of the van I actually screamed and cried from the pain! I started having muscle spasms in my back that were excruciating! I think I scared easy child who came around from the other side of the van to take my purse and keys without even being asked.

Tomorrow morning I have a pt appointment. and then am going to try to not do much the rest of the day. I should have listened to those of you who told me to stay home and to my dr. Sometimes I just think I can handle more than I actually can!

Question for those of you who have had bad back pain. We're suppose to go to Michigan this weekend-a 5 1/2 hour drive. Is this something that is doable?

Sharon,

I'm sorry you're in so much pain!!! I'm glad you have PT and are going to take it easy tomorrow.

I don't know if the drive is going to be doable for you - I'm lucky because I don't have any experience in this area (yet). I know others will be along shortly who can help you.

I just want you to know I'm thinking of you and hoping the PT and extra rest help!!! WFEN

Andy

Are you leaving Friday or Saturday? Friday will be very iffy if this is doable or not. Saturday is some hope but not for sure.

Sitting for long periods of time is not helpful. Sitting in a vehicle unable to change positions is the worst. You don't want to arrive in the same shape you were in when you got out of the vehicle earlier.

You do everything the doctor told you to. Exercise, icing/heating, moving/not moving, everything! Then, if you do go on the trip, I would suggest stopping often (atleast hourly?) to get out and stretch.

Even though you start feeling better, continue with the doctor's orders.

Ask PT if there is a back brace that may help. Ask PT about the trip and take their input into consideration.

I hope you can make the trip without the back pain.

TerryJ2

Sharon, it sounds like you're going to need ice and therapy. I just went through that on Sunday. husband opened up his clinic for me.
I know what you mean by screaming and crying. It catches you by surprise and it's like being stabbed by a knife. I really did scream when I threw mine out.
Luckily, I was able to change my position (I had picked up socks off the floor, and was able to straighten up and keep my knees bent) and I sat on the stairs for a few min. to catch my breath.
It really does take your breath away.
Personally, I would not go for the 5-1/2 hr drive. But it's up to you. If you've got an ice chest and can keep ice packs going every cpl hrs, and you are not the driver, you may be able to, but what are you going to do when you get there? Just sit? Walk?

by the way, you do need to get up and walk a bit every day, even if it's just from bed to the bathroom. It sounds strange but it's important to keep moving.

I feel for you. For real.

TerryJ2

by the way, what kind of work do you do? Do you sit at a computer all day? Do you do a lot of heavy lifting? Climb ladders? Landscaping? That makes a diff in reg to whether you take off from work.
Maybe next wk you could just work half days?

Keep a pillow under your knees if you lie on your back (but you already knew that!).

Jena

Hi,

I'm sorry your in pain again, you did to much this week. I would say go on trip in car if you bring ice pack those ones you can crunch and have it right away, heating pad, something for your back in car like a pillow, and get some "Tiger Cream" for your back it helped mine alot.

Just make sure you stop periodically get out and stretch yourself somewhat so your not in total pain at end of ride.

I hope you feel better :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Personally...........I'd nix the car trip. You can ask the doctor, but if you're still having this much trouble.......I'd be afraid of pushing the envelope again.

Hope you feel better soon. ((((hugs))))

klmno

Sorry you're in so much pain. I hope the PT makes it feel better. I agree with the others- I think I'd postpone any long road trip. ((HUGS))

meowbunny

Ugh! Back pain really is the worst.

Doable? Probably, if you can bear the pain and I'd be willing to bet you'll be in mild pan after 30 minutes, intolerable by hour 3. By the time you get out of the car in 5.5 hours, you'll be crawling and kissing the ground in thanks. Of couse, you could stop every 30 minutes, get out, stretch for 15 minutes and turn it into a 14-hour trip. You'll still be in pain, but not as much. However, if you can make the trip lying down in the back seat, you might actually make the whole trip without discomfort.

Basically, check with your doctor or therapist. If they say "probably,", take it as a NO.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Don't do it! Listen to what your body is telling you. Pain, any pain, is a warning of sorts for you to listen to your body.

I've learned that, maybe the hard way. There's no reason (other than missing your trip) to subject yourself to that level of pain. Right now I can do an hour or two in the car. We plan to visit my dad for Thanksgiving ~ that's 6 hours. It will take a couple of PT sessions & lots of pain medications for me to tolerate that trip. I was told by my neuro doctor that it's more important to see my family even if it means mega pain medications. It will be my 2nd trip in 2 years.

Take care of yourself now. Let the Michigan gang come see you. The freeway goes both ways.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone. I went to the pt today. Didn't get a whole lot out of it except for another appointment. I am feeling quite a bit better (still in pain but nothing like last night).

As for the trip, I think the final decision will be made tomorrow based on how I am feeling. I'm thinking if I could lie down in the back of the mini-van with a seatbelt on (and, of course, take my muscle relaxant and pain medications it might be o.k.). I also have a great ice pack from a friend who has had many back problems.

by the way, Terry-I teach so no heavy lifting but still the constant up and down of standing and sitting really wears by the end of the day. I really have to be at work most days next week because we are doing state testing and research shows kids do better when their own teacher is testing them. Also I didn't know about the pillow under my knees-thanks:)

The pt thought it was doable with putting a rolled towel behind my back for support but I think I want to wait to see how I am feeling.

Thank you for all of your support and suggestions. I can't wait to be feeling better and back to my workouts!